To: AD Pollard

Discussion in 'CF Archive Bin' started by ISU0454, Apr 14, 2007.

1. cyclonedcm

cyclonedcm Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I don't put much stock in spring scrimmages.

2. wartknight

wartknight Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure what this ******* was expecting. Did he want to see 100 points put up by the offense so that everyone left with a sickening feeling about our D?

3. jkoo

jkoo Member

Apr 21, 2006
    student
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    if you would have read up on the spring game beforehand, you would have known Chizik was gonna take this as a normal practice. No bells and whistles, just a practice. that was made clear by coach chizik all week.

4. Tulsa Cyclone

Tulsa Cyclone Member

Nov 21, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's no time to be negative...there is nothing to be negative about.

After reading all the posts I would come to the consensus opinion the Spring Game was a fun time had by all. If you get a chance, watch the University of Oklahoma or University of Texas Spring games replayed on ESPNU or Fox Sports SW. It sounds like the Iowa State Spring game is structured much the same.

It sounds like 7-8,000 fans got excited about ISU football. I am and all I've seen are the press releases and information on this site.

1.) Don't show too many cards this early in the game.
    2.) Make sure nobody gets hurt.
    3.) Practice the fundamentals.
    4.) Continue to develop players and fine-tune the depth chart.

It's practice. Also keep in mind, the new recruits haven't made it to campus yet!!!!

5. HOTDON

HOTDON Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Fort Dodge, IA
    Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    Chizik is a no nonsense guy, and this was carried out with no nonsense. What I saw was a staff and team that took care of their business as if no one was there aside from a few mildly excessive celebrations (they have to practice those too after all). No cheerleaders, no pep band, just a chance for us to see where things stand. Mission accomplished.

6. Cymaster

Cymaster Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I definately disagree with everything said in the starting post. But I also disagree with some of this post. Just because Mac was seen as a best friend, doesn't mean he wasn't a disciplinarian. And just because Chizik is a disciplinarian, does't mean he can't become a best friend or father figure to his players.

Also, Mac HAD to sell the program. Some people insinuate that because he was "selling the program" during press conferences and interviews he wasn't focused on coaching. I think that is BS. Aside from that, Chizik doesn't need to sell the program. Pollard is doing that for him.

Truth be told, Mac "resigned" because he was overly loyal to his assistant coaches. Who is to say that isn't going to happen to Chizik? He brought in a bunch of assistants from "minor" schools that he was familiar with due to previous jobs. If they aren't getting the job done, is he going to can them? Nobody knows but Chizik, and I hope the situation doesn't come up.

7. CyPlainsDrifter

CyPlainsDrifter Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Wow..... you're nuts. If anyone doesn't shsow up today because they saw a scrimmage instead of a game, they're nuts (and no true fan).

8. Arkansas

Arkansas Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2006
    civil engineering
    Bella Vista, Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +304 / 2 / -1
    Soooomebody's gonna have a headache in the morning....:dull8ay:

9. mj4cy

mj4cy Asst. Regional Manager
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Male
    Engineer
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +9,020 / 301 / -12

I don't know how to put this without sounding like a jerk, but the football team does not revolve around YOUR needs. Chizik's job is to give his team the best chance of winning games in the fall. JP put Chizik in the authority to do what he needs to make the program a success. Its not a dog and pony show like the huskers put on. This is no production. This is football. Chizik has his agenda and he wanted today to be nothing more than a scrimage in practice. To me, it was intense. You could tell the coaches meant business and its a go hard or go home atmosphere. I hope you thought twice before sending that to JP, but you are entitled to your opinion.

10. dinger

dinger Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    Dallas, TX
    Ratings:
    +700 / 33 / -0
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI]YouTube - Iverson Practice![/ame]

11. darts180

darts180 Active Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

WOW!!!!!:rolleyes5cz: I think that Coach McCarney could have done a better job of selling the program if he would have just won more games.

And he was NEVER selling the program, he was selling Dan McCarney. He just happened to be the coach at Iowa State. And the fact that he made the same types of mistakes in year 12 that he did as a rookie tells me that he didn't develop like you are saying that he did. He almost let three totally inferior teams almost win because he refused to put the hammer down (like past years). Fortunately, his team quit on him, until the Missouri game, so we didn't have to watch him melt down praying that the clock would run out before he had to make a decision.

Mediacom just replayed last season, maybe you should watch the games over, before making these types of statements. But Jamie selling 30000 season tickets and 56,000 plus for the UNI and Nebraska games, was him selling the program. People stopped coming because the product was bad (again maybe you should watch the replays).

Coach McCarney fired coaches in 2003 to save his own a$$. That card couldn't be played again, because instead of the record numbers of season tickets that we are selling, we would have been lucky to sell 25000 (and I am being generous with that number).

I do agree that we know nothing about what the assisstants are going to be like, or Gene for that matter.

Gosh I should have thought about answering this post because now I am going to get neg rep from my stalker (hi there clone12).:baffled5wh:

12. HardcoreClone

HardcoreClone Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2006
    Ratings:
    +480 / 39 / -1
    Wow, I am now dumber for reading that. At no point in your incoherent rant do you actually say what was wrong with the game and what Jaime did wrong. It was a scrimmage! What the hell do you mean by having an ordinary practice?! If you consider that as an ordinary practice, then I have seen high schools, colleges, and pro teams work harder and do more than that. This was easily the biggest crowd that I have seen while going to Spring games, and this game was a way for fans to get better acquainted with the coaches and players. I guess I just don't understand what you are trying to get at? I did find your post both odd and humorous, so you at least gave me a good laugh!

13. arganbright2

arganbright2 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Ratings:
    +85 / 2 / -0
    Honest opinion from everybody that was there and saw the action, nobody was impressed. I live 1500 miles away from Ames and everybody I've talked to, listened to, etc was extremely disappointed. Offense was supposedly sub par to last years group and the defense had about as much penetration as a chess club captain at a ***** house. Somebody drop me a line, how was the team??? I worry about them about as much as a one nippled mother with a set of triplets.

14. brianhos

brianhos Moderator
    Staff Member Bookie SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

Jun 1, 2006
    Computer geek
    Trenchtown
    Ratings:
    +10,658 / 735 / -28
    In the three times I read the original post, that is exactly what I was thinking. And I still don't get the point.

15. candg4ever

candg4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Male
    Master of the Universe
    Nevada, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 15 / -0
    First, I don't agree with ISU0454. I was happy as hell to see some ISU football on a fairly nice spring day! I do agree that the spring practice time, especially for a new coach and staff, is for coaches and players to get on the same page and evaluate strenghts and weaknesses that will need to be addressed.

I have thought for years, howerver, that the spring game, in whatever format it's played, could be used as a springboard for anticipation and excitement over the summer months. With some planning and a little hype, it could also be used as a fund raiser and to help build our fan base.

:yes4lo:

16. jtaconutz

jtaconutz Member

Feb 1, 2007
    King of France
    With your mom
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    that was dumb

17. CyBobby

CyBobby Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Central Iowa
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 231 / -5
    Here are some simple solutions to your problems ISU0454. Laid an Egg...Just schedule a regular spring game.

Fringe Fans...Extremely tough to capture since they're all over in Iowa City watching the squawks of eiu.

And the simplest of them all...Grow Fan Base..Real simple just win more games and the stands will be full of Clone Fans. It works in Iowa City and I am sure it will work in Ames!

Go Clone Footballers I will be there in the fall to see you play!!!

18. amyk33

amyk33 Active Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm failing to see the exact argument you are attempting to make. That was 534 words and not one of them offered a suggestion for how it could have been better. I'm not sure what line of work you are in, but if I gave something like this to my boss, he may no longer be my boss.

My request for your future moaning would be more substance and less complaining. If you can't offer a solution to the problem, you just may be part of it.

19. Splendid

Splendid Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    "Real change takes real change" Newt Gingrich

20. mj4cy

mj4cy Asst. Regional Manager
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Male
    Engineer
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +9,020 / 301 / -12

Couldn't have said it better. If we sit around and complain, but don't offer solutions, then why would anyone listen to us.