David Sims

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
I saw him playing yesterday but didn't pay to much attention to him. Did anyone see how he did?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
He was starting yesterday. Looked like there was some potential. High probability that he's an upgrade on Hunley. I think our secondary is actually ok, and the best part of our D. Improvement by the defense overall, comes down to our line.

GrimesCy

Oct 25, 2008
Grimes
He went for a knockout hit on one our wide outs and the wide out did not go down. I am sure Ash gave or will give him an ear full for not wrapping up but other than that he looked like an upgrade from what we have had the past few years.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
I think our secondary is actually ok, and the best part of our D. Improvement by the defense overall, comes down to our line.

A buddy and I were made those same observations. At times the D line looked good. But again, it is only spring ball.

If the defense can give up one less scoring drive per game (on the average), I think ISU can surprise a lot of people. I hoping so, any way. I'm predicting six or seven wins. :smile:

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
I kept hearing a name being said making plays all game. Roosevelt Maggitt ended up being the name but I thought his name was pronounced (May gut) not (muh jit)

bigcyfan82

Aug 30, 2008
Des Moines
It always comes down to the line on both D and O. you can have a great secondary but if you don't have a d line to get pressure on the quarterback, I think most of us who can throw a football might be able to complete a few passes.

And the O line is what makes the offense tick. just look at some of the successful college runningbacks that didn't make it to the NFL. The first one that comes to my mind is freddy russel from iowa.
yea sure he was quick and fast. BUT he had a Great oline that made him look Much better!

He was starting yesterday. Looked like there was some potential. High probability that he's an upgrade on Hunley. I think our secondary is actually ok, and the best part of our D. Improvement by the defense overall, comes down to our line.

Landshark

Jan 23, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I kept hearing a name being said making plays all game. Roosevelt Maggitt ended up being the name but I thought his name was pronounced (May gut) not (muh jit)

Very impressed with him today.

Also liked David Sims size, I thought he looked the part today and should be an upgrade.

I missed Jerome's run to start off the second half, but I noticed his pass' were much sharper in the 2nd half compared to the first. I thought Arnaud looked great today.

Osmele is huge, just huge.

Interesting seeing Bykowski at fullback on a goaline series, he's tall. Schwartz can push a line backwards.

Kennard and LJ looked awesome, Terran was good too.

Great day and great weather, we got lucky today.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
I thought Arnaud looked great today.

totally nitpicking here, because I like what Austen brings in our offense, but I see a little bit of what happened at the end of Bret Meyer's career starting in him. He started locking onto receivers. I know it's just spring ball and we wants to go with his #1 read and throw it where the coaches want it, but in game time he'll need to be all over those safeties and LB's and find his 3rd, 4th and maybe even 5th option sometimes. Can't always outthrow the defensive player...That being said he should have a damn good year and I hope he doesn't regress one bit even with the new offense.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Its nice to hear some positive notes from the spring game. I was unable to attend the game and all I heard was that we are the same team as last year.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
totally nitpicking here, because I like what Austen brings in our offense, but I see a little bit of what happened at the end of Bret Meyer's career starting in him. He started locking onto receivers. I know it's just spring ball and we wants to go with his #1 read and throw it where the coaches want it, but in game time he'll need to be all over those safeties and LB's and find his 3rd, 4th and maybe even 5th option sometimes. Can't always outthrow the defensive player...That being said he should have a damn good year and I hope he doesn't regress one bit even with the new offense.

I really watched both AA and JT for checking down to 2nd or third man, and there were a couple times were Arnaud was definitely making his reads and going with what wasn't the main target. He isn't perfect in this area, but better as a junior at it than Meyer ever got. Tiller did a good job with this as well, imo.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009

:biglaugh:

The laugh guy symbol is because my buddy and I thought the PA announcer kept saying "Legit" -- as in that MC Hammer song "Too legit to quit"

04clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2006
I really watched both AA and JT for checking down to 2nd or third man, and there were a couple times were Arnaud was definitely making his reads and going with what wasn't the main target. He isn't perfect in this area, but better as a junior at it than Meyer ever got. Tiller did a good job with this as well, imo.

I think both guys deserve a pass on not checking down much. They've been playing with this offense for all of what? 10 practices? I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that they'll improve as they get more reps in practice.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I think both guys deserve a pass on not checking down much. They've been playing with this offense for all of what? 10 practices? I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that they'll improve as they get more reps in practice.

True, but I've been watching this alot, as imo, it was one of the main things that lead to Meyer's regression in performance his last couple years. In all fairness, Meyer almost had to go with the 1st person he looked it, because he didn't have the time to check down. It was chuck it or get sacked. I was extremely optimistic about Meyer after his sophomore year, as I am with Arnaud, but I'm trying to be aware of the things that hurt Meyer, and see whether or not Arnaud is picking up in those areas...

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Very impressed with him today.

Also liked David Sims size, I thought he looked the part today and should be an upgrade.

I missed Jerome's run to start off the second half, but I noticed his pass' were much sharper in the 2nd half compared to the first. I thought Arnaud looked great today.

Osmele is huge, just huge.

Interesting seeing Bykowski at fullback on a goaline series, he's tall. Schwartz can push a line backwards.

Kennard and LJ looked awesome, Terran was good too.

Great day and great weather, we got lucky today.

I think KB is a star in the making. I'm looking for big things from these three.

Schroed

Apr 10, 2006
did anyone see LJ anywhere after the 1st quarter or so? I could not find him at all in the second half. not even on the sidelines

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron