Since it's Halloween...favorite scary/horror movies?

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Ok so I'm going to watch Hereditary tonight thanks to you all.

Midsomer was different and not what I expected. My wife and I both liked it though.

Anyone watch Event Horizon? I watched it while at ISU. I remember watching it at ISU, a couple of parts creeped me out.

I love horror movies but nobody watches them with me at home. My daughter talks a big game. (13 years old) I took her to Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark and she couldn't look at the screen half the time and was scared a couple of nights. She slept on the floor in her brother's room.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Ok so I'm going to watch Hereditary tonight thanks to you all.

Midsomer was different and not what I expected. My wife and I both liked it though.

Anyone watch Event Horizon? I watched it while at ISU. I remember watching it at ISU, a couple of parts creeped me out.

I love horror movies but nobody watches them with me at home. My daughter talks a big game. (13 years old) I took her to Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark and she couldn't look at the screen half the time and was scared a couple of nights. She slept on the floor in her brother's room.

Event Horizon is good. I watched it as an adult but it would have wrecked me as a kid.

I saw Arachnophobia at the babysitters way before I should of. I remember screaming that night because I thought spiders were under my covers. My parents had a long talk with the babysitter after that one.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
what are your favorite horror/scary movies? 45 years later I still think The Exorcist is the scariest movie ever made. Still love the original Halloween as well. And Psycho.

Some recent (past couple decades) if you haven't seen them:

High Tension
Hush
The Descent (scared the CRAP out of me)
Green Room
Bone Tomahawk
I watched The Descent alone at night one time. Lots of jump scares. The Descent 2 is the same way, but not as scary because you already know whats coming.
This movie is why I won’t ever get into spelunking.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
what are your favorite horror/scary movies? 45 years later I still think The Exorcist is the scariest movie ever made. Still love the original Halloween as well. And Psycho.

Some recent (past couple decades) if you haven't seen them:

High Tension
Hush
The Descent (scared the CRAP out of me)
Green Room
Bone Tomahawk
I’d say The Descent, not because it’s the scariest in the world, but I’ve got pretty bad claustrophobia and that movie did nothing to help me with it. There’s a book with the same name that the movie isn’t based on, but is vaguely similar to that’s interesting.

As a kid Poltergeist terrified me, but it doesn’t really hold up.

I’m much more of a ghost kind of guy than a slasher kind. I agree that Hereditary had everything there for the taking to be an amazing horror movie then just **** the best in the last quarter of it. It worked for a LOT of people, but for me it was more of a “are you ******* kidding me?!” kind of moment.

Overall I don’t find movies scary, but moments are. Like The Grudge isn’t really scary to me, but something about the sound, combined with that moment when they look up in the closet and see her face there was always terrifying to me.

Reactions: dahliaclone

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I’d say The Descent, not because it’s the scariest in the world, but I’ve got pretty bad claustrophobia and that movie did nothing to help me with it. There’s a book with the same name that the movie isn’t based on, but is vaguely similar to that’s interesting.

As a kid Poltergeist terrified me, but it doesn’t really hold up.

I’m much more of a ghost kind of guy than a slasher kind. I agree that Hereditary had everything there for the taking to be an amazing horror movie then just **** the best in the last quarter of it. It worked for a LOT of people, but for me it was more of a “are you ******* kidding me?!” kind of moment.

Overall I don’t find movies scary, but moments are. Like The Grudge isn’t really scary to me, but something about the sound, combined with that moment when they look up in the closet and see her face there was always terrifying to me.
The descent is one of the few movies I had trouble sleeping after because it triggered a mild anxiety attack. Absolutely not a typical horror movie but more jump scare and claustrophobic nkghmare.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
The original Nightmare on Elm Street and Hereditary are the only movies I can think of that make me feel like a kid again when I watch them in the dark alone. Saw Nightmare when I was way too young and while I don't lose sleep over it like I did then, Freddy still gets to me. Can't believe how much Hereditary ***** with my head and makes me feel like a little *****. I know a lot of people think it's kind of goofy or silly and I can see where they're coming from but it still manages to get under my skin.

The first Halloween is probably the closest thing to a perfect horror/slasher you'll find. Stands the test of time and proves good horror is simple and doesn't need a bunch of CGI and other bells and whistles. All you need is a terrifying monster, straightforward simple plot and building tension. The episode on Movies That Made Us on Netflix is definitely worth a watch. Crazy how a group of young filmmakers with minimal experience made such an iconic movie with hardly any money or resources.

Don't want to do a whole write up on each movie but The Witch, the original Wicker Man, and It Follows are ones I've watched somewhat recently and really enjoyed.

cyfreddy

Oct 15, 2006
The original Nightmare on Elm Street and Hereditary are the only movies I can think of that make me feel like a kid again when I watch them in the dark alone. Saw Nightmare when I was way too young and while I don't lose sleep over it like I did then, Freddy still gets to me. Can't believe how much Hereditary ***** with my head and makes me feel like a little *****. I know a lot of people think it's kind of goofy or silly and I can see where they're coming from but it still manages to get under my skin.

The first Halloween is probably the closest thing to a perfect horror/slasher you'll find. Stands the test of time and proves good horror is simple and doesn't need a bunch of CGI and other bells and whistles. All you need is a terrifying monster, straightforward simple plot and building tension. The episode on Movies That Made Us on Netflix is definitely worth a watch. Crazy how a group of young filmmakers with minimal experience made such an iconic movie with hardly any money or resources.

Don't want to do a whole write up on each movie but The Witch, the original Wicker Man, and It Follows are ones I've watched somewhat recently and really enjoyed.
one two.. Freddy's coming for you! Lol!

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
The Thing stands out for me along with the movie “The Entity”. I could not sleep for a couple nights after seeing that movie.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I've been watching various ones all month and loving it. But taking a break tonight because Fast Times at Ridgemont High is on and I don't pass that up when it's on

Lol I watched that too. It always sucks me in. Great soundtrack.

Help Support Us

Become a patron