Since it's Halloween...favorite scary/horror movies?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The original Nightmare on Elm Street and Hereditary are the only movies I can think of that make me feel like a kid again when I watch them in the dark alone. Saw Nightmare when I was way too young and while I don't lose sleep over it like I did then, Freddy still gets to me. Can't believe how much Hereditary ***** with my head and makes me feel like a little *****. I know a lot of people think it's kind of goofy or silly and I can see where they're coming from but it still manages to get under my skin.

The first Halloween is probably the closest thing to a perfect horror/slasher you'll find. Stands the test of time and proves good horror is simple and doesn't need a bunch of CGI and other bells and whistles. All you need is a terrifying monster, straightforward simple plot and building tension. The episode on Movies That Made Us on Netflix is definitely worth a watch. Crazy how a group of young filmmakers with minimal experience made such an iconic movie with hardly any money or resources.

Don't want to do a whole write up on each movie but The Witch, the original Wicker Man, and It Follows are ones I've watched somewhat recently and really enjoyed.

Along with simplicity the often bad special effects in older movies imo stands up over time better than the recent ones. Like it was comically fake in many but it still does.

Seems like with CGI as it may look 'better' at the time tends to look worse later.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Along with simplicity the often bad special effects in older movies imo stands up over time better than the recent ones. Like it was comically fake in many but it still does.

Seems like with CGI as it may look 'better' at the time tends to look worse later.
Actually just got done watching the Halloween episode of “The Movies that Made Us” on Netflix. Pretty interesting. Watching the Friday the 13th episode now and might watch the Nightmare on Elm Street episode next.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Actually just got done watching the Halloween episode of “The Movies that Made Us” on Netflix. Pretty interesting. Watching the Friday the 13th episode now and might watch the Nightmare on Elm Street episode next.

What all does it cover? Just behind the scenes stuff?

Nightmare on Elm Street had some pretty deep cuts with the camera work.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
What all does it cover? Just behind the scenes stuff?

Nightmare on Elm Street had some pretty deep cuts with the camera work.
It’s really kind of from start to finish. But yeah, the entire creation of the movie from conception to wrap.

Netflix has a really good Nightmare on Elm Street documentary. Called Never Sleep Again, I thing. I thought that was an amazing documentary.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
As I’ve gotten older, I struggle to get through the really gory stuff. Or anything that includes a child character. Heck, I went all the way through Saw 5 in the theater in college. Would never do that now.

Wife and I tried to find a good one to watch this week. We started 3 or 4 and kept turning them off for said reasons. We settled on Deep Blue Sea (LOL).

I love bad horror movies. Maximum Overdrive is so amazing. Death Spa is way up there too.

Reactions: madguy30

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
As I’ve gotten more boring with age, fictional books and most movies don’t do it for me anymore. Horror movies have always been at the bottom of my list. Just have a hard time getting into things so outrageously improbable.

My favorite genre is psychological crime types I suppose. Doesnt really fit in what’s been discussed here, but movies like “Seven”, etc.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
As I’ve gotten older, I struggle to get through the really gory stuff. Or anything that includes a child character. Heck, I went all the way through Saw 5 in the theater in college. Would never do that now.

Wife and I tried to find a good one to watch this week. We started 3 or 4 and kept turning them off for said reasons. We settled on Deep Blue Sea (LOL).

I love bad horror movies. Maximum Overdrive is so amazing. Death Spa is way up there too.

RE: Maximum Overdrive: Christine is up there too.

A ridiculous premise without a gorefest is great.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
The original Fright Night was a personal favorite. The part where the vampire seduces the cute girlfriend and takes her away from the boyfriend.

Reactions: dahliaclone

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

Bad horrors are the best. Personal favorites are Killer Klowns From Outer Space and Abominable.

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009
I think Stir of Echoes is underrated. Based on a book by Richard Matheson, it's a little more cerebral, and it was kind of overshadowed by The Sixth Sense that came out around the same time and had a similar premise. One of Kevin Bacon's better movies IMO.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Halloween. While watching it in a theater, some couples behind us were making wise cracks until one of the ushers came in wearing white coveralls and a hockey mask. His fake knife had red paint on it and he tapped on one of the girls shoulders. Loudest screams I have ever heard in my life.:D

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

Agree. And what made the first Halloween even worse is that one could imagine this happening in their neighborhood.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
As I’ve gotten more boring with age, fictional books and most movies don’t do it for me anymore. Horror movies have always been at the bottom of my list. Just have a hard time getting into things so outrageously improbable.

My favorite genre is psychological crime types I suppose. Doesnt really fit in what’s been discussed here, but movies like “Seven”, etc.

Seven was amazing when I first saw it.