Since it's Halloween...favorite scary/horror movies?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
My wife has been trying to watch one Halloween movie per a night in October. While we've done one most nights, we have missed some.

In any case, while I am not much of a horror movie person, I have enjoyed The Conjuring movies.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
My wife has been trying to watch one Halloween movie per a night in October. While we've done one most nights, we have missed some.

In any case, while I am not much of a horror movie person, I have enjoyed The Conjuring movies.

The original Conjuring is so great. My better half HATES horror movies. I tried making him watching that and he lasted maybe 25 minutes. When the daughter starts beating her head against the dresser he was like 'nope. i'm done. turn it off'.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Hereditary. Stuck with me way longer than any other horror movie, in a deeply unsettling way. Also has two of the most horrifying images I've ever seen in a movie (if you've seen it, you know the ones I'm talking about)

I thought that movie was a top 5 horror movie ever made until the last ten minutes. Ruined it for me.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
To this day, the movie that scared me the most was not a traditional horror movie. My scariest movie was Jaws. When that head popped through the hole in the bottom of the sunken boat, I about crapped my pants.

I don't like traditional horror movies. They just don't do it for me and I avoid them.

Last edited:

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Anyone ever seen, "the Funhouse"? Early 80s movie. I believe Ames Iowa was mentioned or referenced in the movie.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
what are your favorite horror/scary movies? 45 years later I still think The Exorcist is the scariest movie ever made. Still love the original Halloween as well. And Psycho.

Some recent (past couple decades) if you haven't seen them:

High Tension
Hush
The Descent (scared the CRAP out of me)
Green Room
Bone Tomahawk
Bone Tomahawk comes out of nowhere with the horror. The first 2/3 is just sort of a straight, gritty Western, and then "Zang!!!"

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I thought that movie was a top 5 horror movie ever made until the last ten minutes. Ruined it for me.

Oh man, that last 10 minutes made the movie for me. I listened to a movie podcast lately talking about it, made me appreciate the movie even more, it's packed full of stuff I missed.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Hereditary. Stuck with me way longer than any other horror movie, in a deeply unsettling way. Also has two of the most horrifying images I've ever seen in a movie (if you've seen it, you know the ones I'm talking about)

Toni Collette in the attic at the end of that movie is I think the most unsettling thing I've seen in a movie.

Along similar lines, Midsommer was done by the same director and is also pretty messed up.

More traditionally, I always watch the original Halloween, Poltergeist, and Night of the Living Dead around Halloween.