Since it's Halloween...favorite scary/horror movies?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The Lighthouse isn't entirely a horror movie by definition, but it's definitely disturbing. Made by the same guy who made the Witch. Worth a watch.

And if you like disturbing stuff and Willem Dafoe, check out Antichrist.... It's all kinds of ****ed up.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Hereditary. Stuck with me way longer than any other horror movie, in a deeply unsettling way. Also has two of the most horrifying images I've ever seen in a movie (if you've seen it, you know the ones I'm talking about)

I like scary movies but I get too scared by them and I have to stop. Takes me about 10 tries to get through one. Hereditary took me about 2 weeks to watch.

Reactions: Peter

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
The Lighthouse isn't entirely a horror movie by definition, but it's definitely disturbing. Made by the same guy who made the Witch. Worth a watch.

My wife and I tried to watch The Lighthouse, but like 30 minutes in we were bored and did something else. Sell me on why I need to give it another shot. Did we just not stick with it long enough?

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
My wife and I tried to watch The Lighthouse, but like 30 minutes in we were bored and did something else. Sell me on why I need to give it another shot. Did we just not stick with it long enough?
It's definitely not for everyone. Slow, slow burn.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Favorite bad/goofy horror movies:

They Live - The fight scene between Rowdy Piper and Keith David is legendary
Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Gremlins 2 - Hilarious, and the Kay & Peele sketch of it is required watching
The Wicker Man - The 70's version is legitimately good, the version with Nicholas Cage is amazing for all the wrong reasons.

8z4I.gif

Vampires Kiss - Just wild

vampires-kiss-nicholas-cage.gif

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
As @Bipolarcy stated, Jaws is still the best scary movie to me, even though you can tell that the shark's eyes are stickers. It does a fantastic job of balancing eerie, creepy, suspense, and action. It also includes some great dialogue.

Other choices would be Aliens and Ten Cloverfield Lane. I also probably liked The Blair Witch Project more than a lot of people. When I was young, The Omen scared the crap out of me.

To go off on a somewhat related tangent, my favorite horror parody is What We Do in the Shadows.

• Agree
Reactions: Bigman38

sdillon500

Sep 12, 2006
northern california
Also John Carpenter's The Thing. Effects still hold up and look incredibly disgusting even 30 years after it was made, and the tension and paranoia of these guys trapped in a base in Antarctica, where both the environment and a shape-shifting monster are trying to kill them; really draws you in.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Werewolves Within - Straddles the line between comedy and horror really well
The Ritual - Lost in the woods with a cult, pretty spooky

I could list **** all day, I love horror movies.

Cyrock18

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2020
Sputnik, watch in Russian with English subtitles. Such a great movie that I stumbled upon and I feel like barely anybody has seen it. So freaking good.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Hereditary
Midsommar
The Witch
The Thing - Still holds up, and for the love of god ignore the one from a few years ago

Can't go wrong with a classic. Netflix just put out a "Movies that made us" with all horror movies, Aliens, Halloween, Friday the 13th, and Nightmare on Elm St.

The first The Thing (or similar title) is interesting although a standard B movie.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
1408 is another one that was a lot better than I expected.

And even though it's as much of a comedy as it is horror, Tremors is one of my favorites. It's just a great movie to watch.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Hereditary. Stuck with me way longer than any other horror movie, in a deeply unsettling way. Also has two of the most horrifying images I've ever seen in a movie (if you've seen it, you know the ones I'm talking about)

My wife nudged me with her elbow in the theater during one of those horrifying images youre talking about and whispered, “Why do you bring me to this sh**? Im not sleeping for a week.”

Reactions: sdillon500

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
The Insidious movies (specifically #1) scared the **** out of me!

Reactions: Cycho1

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
One that cleared out the theatre early, and still gives a few chills is John Carpenters "Prince of Darkness". Being even on a big screen at home doesn't do it justice compared to a large screen in a dark theatre.