Zambrano to retire

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I bet Brett Jackson gets a Sept 1 callup and they see what the kid can do. He's been hitting pretty well lately at Iowa after getting off to a slow start. .292 with 8 homers and 17 RBI in 30 games and a OBP of .382.

I think you'll see Wellington Castillo (.302 15 HR 35 RBI in 55 games) Lou Montanez (was up earlier, is hitting .321) and Bryan LaHair (.335 32 HR 88 RBI in 113 games) all called up too, probably LeMahieu too who was up earlier. Pitching wise, I'm guessing Casey Coleman comes up while Z is out as someone has to go into the rotation and I don't see that being Ortiz. Not sure who else will get callups but Scott Maine and possibly John Guab (came in the DeRosa trade) and the usual Justin Berg but looking at the I-Cubs pitching stats there are a lot of 5+ ERAs on the staff right now so even in AAA the pitching has sucked this season too.

Jackson wont come up. Cubs have a lot of players they need to add to the 40-man roster this off-season to protect them from the rule-5, so if they bring up Jackson, that will be one less prospect they cant protect.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Yeah I deleted what I said because it came out wrong. What I meant was when they go to arbitration, it usually turns out bad as far as the relationships with the players go. Lots of rumors last year of that being the main reason Theriot was moved was because the relationship went south after arbitration, and I have heard many people say that the Cubs and Grace's relationship went sour after that arbitration hearing as well.

Never the less, one of the next two years Soto is going to demand far more than he is worth, and far more than the Cubs wanna spend. With the contracts on the book, I am pretty confident he will end up going into arbitration.

Ask Cardinal fans and they'll probably tell you the same thing Cubs fans already knew, Theriot is nothing more than maybe a slightly below average SS who doesn't have great range and for a guy that usually bats leadoff doesn't have a great OBP for a guy that hits in that spot. Cubs knew they has Castro and Theriot was expendable. If you look at Theriots stats he currently has the lowest batting average that he's had since he hit .266 in 2007 and it's his lowest OBP of any season he's played full time as well. He also has a career high 16 errors this season too and a fielding % of .958 which is the 2nd lowest of any SS in the NL.

It doesn't bother me one bit the Cubs got rid of him before he demanded more money than he was worth. The Cubs have a bad record of holding onto guys like him for too long and luckily in his case they got rid of him at the right time.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Ask Cardinal fans and they'll probably tell you the same thing Cubs fans already knew, Theriot is nothing more than maybe a slightly below average SS who doesn't have great range and for a guy that usually bats leadoff doesn't have a great OBP for a guy that hits in that spot. Cubs knew they has Castro and Theriot was expendable. If you look at Theriots stats he currently has the lowest batting average that he's had since he hit .266 in 2007 and it's his lowest OBP of any season he's played full time as well. He also has a career high 16 errors this season too and a fielding % of .958 which is the 2nd lowest of any SS in the NL.

It doesn't bother me one bit the Cubs got rid of him before he demanded more money than he was worth. The Cubs have a bad record of holding onto guys like him for too long and luckily in his case they got rid of him at the right time.

Im not arguing Theriots performance what so ever. I wasn't sad to see him go. I was using it as an example of a sour relationship that was formed when a player did not win arbitration.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Jackson wont come up. Cubs have a lot of players they need to add to the 40-man roster this off-season to protect them from the rule-5, so if they bring up Jackson, that will be one less prospect they cant protect.

Forgot that he is not on the 40 man but I still wouldn't be surprised to see him get a callup. As much as you want to worry about the rule 5 draft the Cubs have enough house cleaning to do that they surely would not have to worry about adding 1 more and exposing someone that they might lose. All you have to do is look at the lack of talent coming up through the minors right now to see that there isn't much depth in the system right now that can even help the MLB team any time soon. Jackson is about the only near MLB ready talent they have right now, who on the 40 man list in the minors other than Castillo, Carpenter, and maybe LeMahieu would you be scared to lose? If any of those pitchers could help in the majors they'd be up right now.

Chicago Cubs 2011 40-Man Team Roster - ESPN

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Forgot that he is not on the 40 man but I still wouldn't be surprised to see him get a callup. As much as you want to worry about the rule 5 draft the Cubs have enough house cleaning to do that they surely would not have to worry about adding 1 more and exposing someone that they might lose. All you have to do is look at the lack of talent coming up through the minors right now to see that there isn't much depth in the system right now that can even help the MLB team any time soon. Jackson is about the only near MLB ready talent they have right now, who on the 40 man list in the minors other than Castillo, Carpenter, and maybe LeMahieu would you be scared to lose? If any of those pitchers could help in the majors they'd be up right now.

Chicago Cubs 2011 40-Man Team Roster - ESPN

I wouldn't be afraid of losing to many of them. But whats the point of bringing Jackson up in September at this point? Hes not going to play every day, and all you're going to do is start is arbitration clock.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Im not arguing Theriots performance what so ever. I wasn't sad to see him go. I was using it as an example of a sour relationship that was formed when a player did not win arbitration.

Mark Grace is one thing, he was a decent player but guys that are replaceable like Theriot doesn't concern me. Soto is an above average catcher but Wellington Castillo has the talent that he could possibly be even better than Soto so I wouldn't be surprised to see Soto eventually traded at some point, especially if he ever starts swinging the bat like he did in 2008. Thought maybe after he had a decent 2010 season we'd see him get back to that level again but he took a step back again this year. Would like to see a little more consistency at the plate with him.

If Castillo can be a decent hitter in the majors the one thing he has over Soto is he is much better behind the plate defensively and has a much stronger arm to throw base runners out.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Mark Grace is one thing, he was a decent player but guys that are replaceable like Theriot doesn't concern me. Soto is an above average catcher but Wellington Castillo has the talent that he could possibly be even better than Soto so I wouldn't be surprised to see Soto eventually traded at some point, especially if he ever starts swinging the bat like he did in 2008. Thought maybe after he had a decent 2010 season we'd see him get back to that level again but he took a step back again this year. Would like to see a little more consistency at the plate with him.

If Castillo can be a decent hitter in the majors the one thing he has over Soto is he is much better behind the plate defensively and has a much stronger arm to throw base runners out.

And for all those reason, and knowing the money Soto is probably going to demand, I would not put him on a list of "must keeps".

Dave19642011

Aug 6, 2011
Inwood, Ontario
I am thinking a lot of changes will ensue for 2012.

Quade will be let go, Ramirez will most likely retire, Pena will be released if we can get Pujols, Soriano may be traded and the Cubs flip the bill. Those are my projections.

18.8 Million for Zambrano
14.4 Million Ramirez
9.96 Million for Pena

Fact one: The Carlos Zambrano thing is funny. Carlos Zambrano is himself funny, the rare player who is made so angry by losing, allowing a hit, making eye contact at another team's hitter, that even the super-competitive ex-players who overpopulate sports TV disown him. The Chicago Cubs collapsing in midseason while their ace stalks off and threatens to retire—not funny, unless you have no capacity for empathy, but certainly a ha-ha! moment for water cooler discussions with your local Cubs fan. The way his enormous salary would come off the books if he actually retired, leaving the Cubs freer to pursue Albert Pujols in the offseason: Not even a little funny.

Of course, I don't think that's actually going to happen—I don't think Zambrano will retire and I don't think the Cubs will spend mega-millions on Pujols when Prince Fielder is also on the market. But this is a little like your local Cubs fan walking up to the water cooler with a very funny-looking bomb strapped to his chest—you have to respect, or at least keep your distance from, the nuclear option.

Last edited:

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
I am thinking a lot of changes will ensue for 2012.

Quade will be let go, Ramirez will most likely retire, Pena will be released if we can get Pujols, Soriano may be traded and the Cubs flip the bill. Those are my projections.

18.8 Million for Zambrano
14.4 Million Ramirez
9.96 Million for Pena

Fact one: The CarlosZambrano thing is funny. Carlos Zambrano is himself funny, the rare player who is made so angry by losing, allowing a hit, making eye contact at another team's hitter, that even the super-competitive ex-players who overpopulate sports TV disown him. The Chicago Cubs collapsing in midseason while their ace stalks off and threatens to retire—not funny, unless you have no capacity for empathy, but certainly a ha-ha! moment for water cooler discussions with your local Cubs fan. The way his enormous salary would come off the books if he actually retired, leaving the Cubs freer to pursue Albert Pujols in the offseason: Not even a little funny.

Of course, I don't think that's actually going to happen—I don't think Zambrano will retire and I don't think the Cubs will spend mega-millions on Pujols when Prince Fielder is also on the market. But this is a little like your local Cubs fan walking up to the water cooler with a very funny-looking bomb strapped to his chest—you have to respect, or at least keep your distance from, the nuclear option.

Um... you think Ramirez is going to retire? Puff Puff Pass man.... Puff Puff Pass....

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Only way Ramirez is back next year if he takes a deal for 3 years or less at maybe $10 mil a year max. Guy is too inconsistent to pay him anything more, he's not a leader, and this year he just looks disinterested.

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
Um... you think Ramirez is going to retire? Puff Puff Pass man.... Puff Puff Pass....

Ha, no kidding. The man can definitely still make good money playing baseball. Maybe he doesn't deserve as much as he is currently signed for, but enough that he isn't going to retire.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I wish Big Z would retire. He is the biggest, ugliest stain on an organization that is in sorry shape right now. Retire, Carlos, and do Cubs fans a favor and take Hendry's incompetent *** with you.

Dave19642011

Aug 6, 2011
Inwood, Ontario
Possibly could be traded since he did lighten up on the no trade clause...ONLY if the Cubs rebuild.......But then again we all dont really know, only Hendry (ugh) knows... Cubs do have players to play third

Dave19642011

Aug 6, 2011
Inwood, Ontario
July 28, 2011, 9:37 PM ET

"When asked Thursday if he would waive his no-trade clause, Ramirez was less emphatic than he had been on previous occasions. In fact, he said he wouldn't fit in if the Cubs chose to rebuild."

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Possibly could be traded since he did lighten up on the no trade clause...ONLY if the Cubs rebuild.......But then again we all dont really know, only Hendry (ugh) knows... Cubs do have players to play third

Yes they do, they just don't currently have any (other than Ramirez) who is actually good at it.

It all comes down to how much and how long.

And you realize that the Cubs don't have to trade Ramirez for him to not be back next year right?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron