Zambrano to retire

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
They should file one against themselves - because they knew they were retaining a loose cannon. They generally did this to themselves. From an outsider's perspective - it's quite comical. They should read up on the definition of insanity.

That's Hendry's fault, not the fans. We don't have any say in personnel issues. If I did:

Keep
Castro (duh)
Barney
Soto (unless a better option presented itself)
Dempster (best pitcher the past few years, ideally would be a #3/4)
Cashner (he's cheap, and I'd like to see what he can do when healthy)
Marshall
Reed Johnson (I just really like him, good solid role player that we can use)
Ramirez (unless better option comes along)

I like Pena, he's a great clubhouse guy, but he's not the answer. And I actually like Soriano, too, another guy that's good for team chemistry. But his contract is tough to take. If he were signed to a more reasonable deal, I'd be 100% fine with keeping him, too.

But I don't have any say in personnel matters, do I?

Reactions: CycloneErik

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
So a lot of Cub fans loved the decision of hiring Quade. Do you keep him around and give him another year or does he go?

TheCaptain

Bookie
Jul 2, 2009
Iowa
So a lot of Cub fans loved the decision of hiring Quade. Do you keep him around and give him another year or does he go?

Well the obvious answer is if Hendry stays then he'll keep Quade. If there is a new GM...he'll hire his own guy.

TheCaptain

Bookie
Jul 2, 2009
Iowa
Well I was more looking for - Do YOU, as a fan, want him to stay (regardless of Hendry situation)?

Ah...I want the same thing I wanted last offseason.Get rid of the huge contracts and go with a youth movement with Sandberg as manager. I realize its tough to sell a rebuild project with a major market team...but it needs done.This organization is a joke.

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
Ah...I want the same thing I wanted last offseason.Get rid of the huge contracts and go with a youth movement with Sandberg as manager. I realize its tough to sell a rebuild project with a major market team...but it needs done.This organization is a joke.

I'm no Cubs fan, but I agree with every bit of that. It NEEDS to be done. Start a-new.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I wouldn't mind seeing Quade back next year. This team was never going to win this year, it ain't his fault.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I don't think Quade is the problem right now. I don't think you make the move to beg Sandberg back unless you show a serious commitment to clean house and build a winner and I don't see that happening until after the 2012 season when the 2nd wave of contracts such as Zambrano and Dempster come off the books. I think they'll spend some serious cash this offseason too (hopefully!) but not enough to turn this team into anything more than a wild card contender at best.

I think Hendry did Sandberg a favor by not hiring him this time around to manage this team over overpaid and underachieving misfits. The last thing Cubs fans want to see is one of their own legends fail miserably and this roster was built to do just that.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
That's Hendry's fault, not the fans. We don't have any say in personnel issues. If I did:

Keep
Castro (duh)
Barney
Marshall

I like Pena, he's a great clubhouse guy, but he's not the answer. And I actually like Soriano, too, another guy that's good for team chemistry. But his contract is tough to take. If he were signed to a more reasonable deal, I'd be 100% fine with keeping him, too.

Wait - where did I state anything about the fans. When I refer to "the Cubs", I'm talking about the organization. If I were to refer to fans...I'd say something like...oh..."Cubs fans".

Now, if I were to say anything about the fans in this regard - I'd be amused that they're so surprised this is happening and putting all of this on Z. And not recognizing the Cubs did this to themselves...

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Wait - where did I state anything about the fans. When I refer to "the Cubs", I'm talking about the organization. If I were to refer to fans...I'd say something like...oh..."Cubs fans".

Now, if I were to say anything about the fans in this regard - I'd be amused that they're so surprised this is happening and putting all of this on Z. And not recognizing the Cubs did this to themselves...

And the post you responded to asked: Why can't Cubs fans file a grievance for putting up with this?

Derp.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Well the obvious answer is if Hendry stays then he'll keep Quade. If there is a new GM...he'll hire his own guy.

I can just about guarantee you that if Hendry is gone after this year (which I still think is going to be the case) that Quade will still be Manager next year.

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina

Keep
Castro (duh)
Barney
Marshall

I agree with most of what you said...

Keep at all costs:
Castro (Best young SS in baseball)
Barney (Great young 2B that is cheap)
Garza (He's 26 and has pitched a LOT better than his record)
Soto (Decent hitting catchers are not falling out of trees... he's a good option)

Should also keep, but give up at the right price:
Ramirez (Explore moving him to 1B if another 3B option comes along)
Cashner (Agreed, young and could do something still)
Dewitt (Young and versatile, can play just about every position)
Colvin (He's young, but he needs to begin to produce on a consistent basis)

That's about it. Everyone else is pretty much up for grabs. Those other guys just aren't pulling their weight. I said we should have traded Byrd this year because he was the only one who had real "value" in the market because his contract isn't RIDICULOUS and he's played well.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
I think Byrd will go to make room for Brett Jackson, unless we can unload Soriano to an AL team as a DH. We will not find a better 3rd baseman than Ramirez, and if we don't get Fielder we keep Pena.

The money coming off the books has to be spent on some starting pitching. Hats off to Rodrigo Lopez and Ramon Ortiz for being out there battling, but we need 2 quality starters. Garza, Demps are really the only two proven starters we have. Cashner could be great, but who knows.

Honestly, this team is not that far off. I support Quade, and think he does a fine job. Hindsight being 20/20 I would have hired Ryne if for no other reason to develop Castro and Barney the right way.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Cubs have a horrible record at arbitration? The Cubs actually have a great record with it, they usually avoid going to arbitration and find a way to get the player signed at a resonable ammount and with the higher profile players usually sign them long enough to avoid arbitration again with them. Up until 2010 when they won their arbitration case with Ryan Theriot the last player they actually went to an arbitration hearing with was Mark Grace in 1993 and they won that one as well.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Cubs have a horrible record at arbitration? The Cubs actually have a great record with it, they usually avoid going to arbitration and find a way to get the player signed at a resonable ammount and with the higher profile players usually sign them long enough to avoid arbitration again with them. Up until 2010 when they won their arbitration case with Ryan Theriot the last player they actually went to an arbitration hearing with was Mark Grace in 1993 and they won that one as well.

Yeah I deleted what I said because it came out wrong. What I meant was when they go to arbitration, it usually turns out bad as far as the relationships with the players go. Lots of rumors last year of that being the main reason Theriot was moved was because the relationship went south after arbitration, and I have heard many people say that the Cubs and Grace's relationship went sour after that arbitration hearing as well.

Never the less, one of the next two years Soto is going to demand far more than he is worth, and far more than the Cubs wanna spend. With the contracts on the book, I am pretty confident he will end up going into arbitration.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I bet Brett Jackson gets a Sept 1 callup and they see what the kid can do. He's been hitting pretty well lately at Iowa after getting off to a slow start. .292 with 8 homers and 17 RBI in 30 games and a OBP of .382.

I think you'll see Wellington Castillo (.302 15 HR 35 RBI in 55 games) Lou Montanez (was up earlier, is hitting .321) and Bryan LaHair (.335 32 HR 88 RBI in 113 games) all called up too, probably LeMahieu too who was up earlier. Pitching wise, I'm guessing Casey Coleman comes up while Z is out as someone has to go into the rotation and I don't see that being Ortiz. Not sure who else will get callups but Scott Maine and possibly John Guab (came in the DeRosa trade) and the usual Justin Berg but looking at the I-Cubs pitching stats there are a lot of 5+ ERAs on the staff right now so even in AAA the pitching has sucked this season too.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron