Your best jab at UoI fans/homers?

burky247

May 29, 2009
Iowa City
So I go camping quite abit with a couple Hok fans, and others, this past weekend. The 2 Hoks are much like alot of their fans: Cheer for Hoks, but either didn't go to college at all, or in this case, they both went to D3 or Comm Colleges. They had had a few friends stop by, and noticed there was 2 hok flags, along with my I-State flag. They said man, how do you do it? I just just said something to the tune of "yep 2 Hok fans, and one ISU Alum." Never heard another jab all weekend. I was very nice ! :yes:

Seriously? An ISU alum? With that sentence structure? Misspelled words? Capitalizing words in wrong places?

Methinksnot. I have too much respect for an ISU education to buy that story.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
My girlfriend went to Iowa and I don't even have to fight her on the differences in fan base. We recently had a trip to Austin/San Antonio staying in very nice hotels (comped from work), visiting the riverwalk, alamo, 6th st, etc. I received multiple shout outs from Cyclone fans, she got 0 on her Iowa apparel.

The day we get home, we are driving through a small town Casey's in SW Iowa where the cashier looks like she had not showered or been to the dentist in years. As we walk out she notices IOWA written on my girlfriends shorts and yells out GO HAWKS!

All i had to do was look at her and smile. I never even have to make fun of the hawks fans, they do it themselves.

You mean deep in the heart of Big 12 country ISU got more cheers than Iowa? I'm shocked, shocked!!

A buddy of mine went to (played football at) Merchant Marine Academy. It, like many many D III schools is outstanding (is Grinnell? Drake?). I agree that the douchiest hawk fans are non grads but let's not disrespect any colleges.*

* disrespecting that joke in Lincoln is always acceptable

agreed. I grew up 10 minutes from Simpson (Indianola) and about 40 minutes from Central (Pella). Both are good schools.

JustRedman

Jul 10, 2009
Gilbert
I just love that I can name more ISU Bball recruits than they can name current players on their Bball team...
Basically, they have a ton of casual fans that claim to be diehard every few years, when it is convenient for them.

cydswipe

Jun 12, 2007
Maquoketa, Iowa
I typically just have fun trading jabs with the Hawk fans I know. Like a lot of their fanbase, none of them went to school at the University. It's all in good fun.

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
So I go camping quite abit with a couple Hok fans, and others, this past weekend. The 2 Hoks are much like alot of their fans: Cheer for Hoks, but either didn't go to college at all, or in this case, they both went to D3 or Comm Colleges. They had had a few friends stop by, and noticed there was 2 hok flags, along with my I-State flag. They said man, how do you do it? I just just said something to the tune of "yep 2 Hok fans, and one ISU Alum." Never heard another jab all weekend. I was very nice ! :yes:

The whole "you didn't go to school X, therefore you shouldn't be a fan" smack is comical. Everyone realizes one of our biggest donors, Richard Jacobson, who our Athletic Building is named after, is a U of I graduate, right?
:confused:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Eastern Iowa U

Simply marginalizing them as a regional state school called "Eastern Iowa U" seems to work quite well for me. It is especially fun when they don't get it!

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The whole "you didn't go to school X, therefore you shouldn't be a fan" smack is comical. Everyone realizes one of our biggest donors, Richard Jacobson, who our Athletic Building is named after, is a U of I graduate, right?

Yeah, but he isn't a tavern clown... :wink:

SenorCy

Aug 29, 2010
C.J.
Originally posted by cytheguy
Comparing apples to oranges, a successful person from the state of Iowa donating to in-state universities (even though he only attended one) as a way to give back to the people of his state is completely different from some Kegwood dropout belittling someone actually smart enough to graduate from... excuse me, get into a four year school.

Last edited:

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I love the Clones but:
A) Having fans that did not attend said school just proves that you have a larger fanbase
B) Generalizing a fanbase is stupid. There are ******* fans for every team. It is just the fact that if a fanbase is large, you have a better chance at running into the mentioned ********.
QFT

timappelgate

Apr 9, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
My girlfriend went to Iowa and I don't even have to fight her on the differences in fan base. We recently had a trip to Austin/San Antonio staying in very nice hotels (comped from work), visiting the riverwalk, alamo, 6th st, etc. I received multiple shout outs from Cyclone fans, she got 0 on her Iowa apparel.

The day we get home, we are driving through a small town Casey's in SW Iowa where the cashier looks like she had not showered or been to the dentist in years. As we walk out she notices IOWA written on my girlfriends shorts and yells out GO HAWKS!

All i had to do was look at her and smile. I never even have to make fun of the hawks fans, they do it themselves.

This just made my day.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Originally posted by cytheguy
Comparing apples to oranges, a successful person from the state of Iowa donating to in-state universities (even though he only attended one) as a way to give back to the people of his state is completely different from some Kegwood dropout belittling someone actually smart enough to graduate from... excuse me, get into a four year school.

When you're talking about those dropouts belittling the university and its academic prowess, you can use that arguement. But you don't have to be an alum of you favorite team's school to give the rival fans crap about being fans of that team.

westcyedclone

Jan 22, 2010
Waukee
It baffles me the fascination some on this board have about not being an alum of a certain school means you shouldn't be a fan of that school?? Trust me our athletic dept. could never be viable without fans that didn't go to ISU. I didn't go to ISU but have indeed done my part in donating funds, buying tickets and apparel for me and my family over the last 15 years. There happens to be a certain billionaire in Ankeny that would certainly disagree with this point of view as well.
Iowa, Nebraska, and the rest of the top tier programs have fans that are not alums.
If you really want ISU to be all it can be, we need all the fans we can get!

SenorCy

Aug 29, 2010
C.J.
People are not trashing a booster who may not have gone to ISU but supports what they do. What people are making fun of is the "fan" that goes to the bar one night and sees Iowa won a football game and is suddenly a diehard fan even though they know next to nothing about them.