Xavier Thames' Jump-Shot

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
Watch Xavier Thames jump-shot on XavierThames.net. Am I the only person who notices a big problem with his jumper?
Try and figure out what it is, whoever does gets rep.:yes:

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
He doesn't go up and shoot in one motion, he hesitates in the air and then shoots the ball.

I used to do the same thing and it drove my coach crazy.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
his release looks like it is after the peak of his jump. He is on his way down when he releases.

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
You're both right, there's definitely a hitch and the ball doesn't seem to be released when you expect it. I also notice that he's always jumping toward the basket rather than going vertical. There will be lots of charging calls on him if he can't stop and pop.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
Starts his shot too low(trouble getting it off in college)...should come out of that as he gets stronger.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
You're both right, there's definitely a hitch and the ball doesn't seem to be released when you expect it. I also notice that he's always jumping toward the basket rather than going vertical. There will be lots of charging calls on him if he can't stop and pop.
Cha-Ching!!!:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:
I'm having my doubts about his shooting. The feet are the biggest problem. They end up 3 ft closer to the basket than where they started, a definite no-no which will lead to lots of charging fouls.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
Starts his shot too low(trouble getting it off in college)...should come out of that as he gets stronger.
That too....he will need to work on a lot of things at ISU/ WSU or wherever he goes to college.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Cha-Ching!!!:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:
I'm having my doubts about his shooting. The feet are the biggest problem. They end up 3 ft closer to the basket than where they started, a definite no-no which will lead to lots of charging fouls.

And you just know we would get called for them every time.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
He didnt look all that impressive in the couple videos i watched. How many stars does he have next to his name?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
BP is a fouling machine even just when he stares at the other player. He has been pegged by the refs as a dirty player and lead the league last year in low hits. His prognosis is that he might as well get his money's worth and really start fouling. He should use more karate chops to the throat area when he guards players next year. Make them respect his defense.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
You've gotta watch out for those scrawny little white kids from Clinton, they'll getcha

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
His shot may not be textbook, but I see a lot of positives in those videos. I hope he chooses ISU.

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
I agree that I was not impressed with his overall game. It didn't look like great competition and his Jump Shot as discussed is not ready for the next level. He doesn't play above the rim.

I'm sure Gmac thinks he will fit into the system and he does seem to fit that profile.

I did like that he was active on D and was out ahead of the pack looking for transition points.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron