Xavier game chances (and how season plays out)

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I feel like we get waxed by Xavier.

first game away from home & first strong team we face.

Won’t be for a lack of effort, just think Xavier is really good.

I'm not so sure they are really good. They did beat tOSU......however their 3 point win over Niagara would suggest otherwise. I think tOSU may be a bit over ranked. I can definitely see with the same defensive intensity and a decent shooting night coming out with a win.

Baseline23

Mar 17, 2012
I'm usually not so 'easy to please,' but I'm already happy with this season and this team, almost an inverse of last year. If we play decent-to-very good teams competitively (and we will), the season is going to be enjoyable at the very least.

Reactions: Cyclad

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
It would be a big win for the team if they pull it off but I'd give us 1 in 5 chance to win it. For comparison, they have a better chance of winning this game than Texas does of having the same football coach 3 years from now.

I am not even too concerned if they look good - first game away from Hilton although TJ sure seems to have them mentally in a good place.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
It would be a big win for the team if they pull it off but I'd give us 1 in 5 chance to win it. For comparison, they have a better chance of winning this game than Texas does of having the same football coach 3 years from now.

This should be the new variant of "snowball's chance in hell".

"Me and Angelina Jolie getting married? Well, better chance than Texas having the same football coach in 3 years"

It's the phrase that pays.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
If we stay out of foul trouble, we'll have a chance.

This. If we can stay out of foul trouble and hit at least a few threes, we're going to be in it late. Problem is, so far this team has not shown they can avoid fouling.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
After watching that Steiner math video, I figure if you take the 50/50 chance of winning any game, and then add the 34.9% chance that ESPN gives us, that equals an 84.9% chance we win this game. I like our odds.
The math checks out.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
I like what I've seen so far, but for a dose of reality I went back to last years non-con.
Beat Arkansas-Pine Bluff by 17, lost to S. Dakota St by 3 (SDS won the Summit), DePaul canceled, the on to Iowa and the Big 12. Later beat Jackson St by 15 and Chicago St was canceled. The lack of a real non-con certainly didn't help a team with a lot of new players and a lot of flaws.

Hopefully having these games help with development that last years team didn't get.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I like what I've seen so far, but for a dose of reality I went back to last years non-con.
Beat Arkansas-Pine Bluff by 17, lost to S. Dakota St by 3 (SDS won the Summit), DePaul canceled, the on to Iowa and the Big 12. Later beat Jackson St by 15 and Chicago St was canceled. The lack of a real non-con certainly didn't help a team with a lot of new players and a lot of flaws.

Hopefully having these games help with development that last years team didn't get.
Our players never developed in the off-season. If you need games to improve basic skills, then you are in deep trouble. You have to treat practice as if it's just as important than a game, otherwise there is no point in doing it. It wasn't that way until Otz.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Xavier by 8. I think we go 0-2 in New York unfortunately. These are 3 NCAA tourney caliber teams that will have more talent right now.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It was good to have some bad teams for ISU to start with, and it should be good for them to see some good teams this week even if they get worked a bit.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
This and the VT/Memphis games are good goalpost setters going into conference play. Oregon State proved we can beat P6 teams again. The next 2 games will show if we can hang with the better P6 teams or not.

0-2 means we're kinda where everyone expected

1-1 means we're coming along fairly quick and we could be in for a much better year than anyone thought coming in

2-0 and well..... we're all battling the monster known as the hype machine

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
Our players never developed in the off-season. If you need games to improve basic skills, then you are in deep trouble. You have to treat practice as if it's just as important than a game, otherwise there is no point in doing it. It wasn't that way until Otz.

I completely agree. The off season was also completely disrupted.

This is not a defense of the previous coaching staff, just being realistic about what the competition thus far this season tells us. I'm cautiously optimistic, but, as many have said, these 2 upcoming games will tell a lot. I'm excited to see how it goes.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
This and the VT/Memphis games are good goalpost setters going into conference play. Oregon State proved we can beat P6 teams again. The next 2 games will show if we can hang with the better P6 teams or not.

0-2 means we're kinda where everyone expected

1-1 means we're coming along fairly quick and we could be in for a much better year than anyone thought coming in

2-0 and well..... we're all battling the monster known as the hype machine
I am optimistic that we can go 1-1. If we beat Xavier then we probably face Memphis and lose. If we lose to Xavier, we probably face VT which is a 40/60 winnable game and I think we pull the upset.

Jdk

Feb 27, 2019
I feel they will have one more musketeer than us it will be close though

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron