Xavien Stapleton committs to Mississippi State

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
We have plenty of PT to offer traditional transfers.

Most traditional transfers have already committed to teams. We are going to recruit a ton of guys, we don't have room to sign them all. Iowa State isn't the only college recruiting, we can't land everyone.

He would also be fighting Cooke, Babb, Burton, and Thomas among others for those minutes you say will readily be available to him.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Most traditional transfers have already committed to teams. We are going to recruit a ton of guys, we don't have room to sign them all. Iowa State isn't the only college recruiting, we can't land everyone.

He would also be fighting Cooke, Babb, Burton, and Thomas among others for those minutes you say will readily be available to him.

Wait, I'm confused. Do we or do we not have playing time to offer?

In all seriousness, Most recruits aren't going to be scared of competing with the guys you named (at this point at least).

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
If the staff wanted him, there must have been something there. However, given positional needs and the time of year, I'm not going to sweat this one.

We've got plenty for next year, obviously. Ernst and the Greek as emergency back-up at this point to McKay, Niang, and Nader at the post will be fine barring a disaster (and that disaster would subvert our highest goals, anyways, kind of like UVA last year, so so be it).

Another wing for the year after when we've got a ton of guards coming back (likely at least Cooke, Thomas, Burton, NN, and maybe even Monte) isn't the biggest loss. That's a good little core in the back court to build around going into 2016-2017.

Going to reserve judgement for a year to see what this coaching staff can do in terms of prep school kids and high schoolers. Assuming TJ hauls about the same crop he always does, however, and we should be fine there (if we can get them to play as a team and not leave, like they did under McD... so much wasted talent in that era it's kind of sickening).

Likewise for their ability on the JUCO and transfer market until about this time next year.

But, damn, we need some posts. I know the new guys aren't going to be Niang and McKay overnight, but we need some Big 12-level players (and, hopefully, at least one immediate play-maker from whatever source) as newcomers there soon.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA

Are you talking just to hear yourself? It would've been nice to get this traditional transfer who was available right now and coveted by other P5 schools, who would've had ample playing time if he committed here.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
MSU will likely have more talent than us by 2016 when he is eligible

If you're talking about Michigan State, sure. Have you ever actually seen or heard about Mississippi State's basketball program? They're bottom feeders in the SEC. I know we have a long way to go before the 2016 team is solid, but give me a break with comments like this.

Inspired

Mar 18, 2012
If you're talking about Michigan State, sure. Have you ever actually seen or heard about Mississippi State's basketball program? They're bottom feeders in the SEC. I know we have a long way to go before the 2016 team is solid, but give me a break with comments like this.

New coach at MSU and they're off to a great start in recruiting. Their bottom feeding days are probably over.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Xavian choosing MSU is disappointing but really not to impactful in the long run in my opinion. ISU already has Nick Babb in the fold and they are the same type of 3 and D athletic type players who need some refining in my view.

It would have been nice to have 2 of those but let's not get too upset about losing a recruit to a player's home state with a new coach in Howland who has been to 3 final fours and renowned recruiter. In reality one of the reasons La Tech restricted him from most of the south schools (all of Mississippi) originally probably cause they knew his desire to play close to home. Once La Tech lifted the restrictions and he immediately announce the MSU visit, the writing was on the wall. With GT expected return there is only one scholarship available and there will be mid-season transfers most likely filling more of a need (aka post player).

EasyJoey

Jun 23, 2015
Obviously this won't impact the Cyclones for the upcoming season. The cupboard is certainly looking pretty thin for 2016/2017 though. It's going to put a ton of pressure on Prohm to reel in at least a couple of guys who can provide an immediate boost.

Keep in mind, I didn't think Stapleton would have been that big of a difference maker anyways. He would have provided some athleticism, but aside from that it's pretty clear he would have been a project player. A guy with the ability to get better if he dedicates himself but still has a pretty long ways to go.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Ben Howland will sneak them in the top half of the SEC this year. He is a fantastic coach and will have them doing well very soon.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Yes, people have (not you of course) and they've seen what's gone on since Howland has been there. They won't be bottom feeders for long.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Have you heard about Mississippi State?

isu81

Mar 6, 2013

Howland has committed 3 4/5 star guys in 3 months on the job, including 5-star Malik Newman, #8 player in class of 2015, 4-star Aric Holman, who also moved to the 2015 class, 4-star top 100 Lamar Peters in 2016 class. That goes with a guy in Quindarry Witherspoon, who is a top 120 guy in the 2015 class who had already committed prior to Howland who he got to stay.

Howland recruits like a beast. He's been to 3 final fours, finished 1st or 2nd in the PAC 12 6 of his 10 years and took a terrible Pitt program to Big East championships (when it was the real Big East) in years 3 and 4 on the job.

https://mississippistate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1772683

To me, the comments about Mississippi State having more talent in 2016-17 are very legitimate.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Obviously this won't impact the Cyclones for the upcoming season. The cupboard is certainly looking pretty thin for 2016/2017 though. It's going to put a ton of pressure on Prohm to reel in at least a couple of guys who can provide an immediate boost. Keep in mind, I didn't think Stapleton would have been that big of a difference maker anyways. He would have provided some athleticism, but aside from that it's pretty clear he would have been a project player. A guy with the ability to get better if he dedicates himself but still has a pretty long ways to go.
Projm needs to haul in a couple of stars to lead the team or we will look like the Hoks.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
I'll say this, Howland was a helluva-homerun hire for Mississippi State. This season will be a rebuilding year, but thereafter...look out!

Howland has committed 3 4/5 star guys in 3 months on the job, including 5-star Malik Newman, #8 player in class of 2015, 4-star Aric Holman, who also moved to the 2015 class, 4-star top 100 Lamar Peters in 2016 class. That goes with a guy in Quindarry Witherspoon, who is a top 120 guy in the 2015 class who had already committed prior to Howland who he got to stay.

Howland recruits like a beast. He's been to 3 final fours, finished 1st or 2nd in the PAC 12 6 of his 10 years and took a terrible Pitt program to Big East championships (when it was the real Big East) in years 3 and 4 on the job.

https://mississippistate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1772683

To me, the comments about Mississippi State having more talent in 2016-17 are very legitimate.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I'll say this, Howland was a helluva-homerun hire for Mississippi State. This season will be a rebuilding year, but thereafter...look out!

Newman is a stud, they should be pretty good this year just because of him

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron