WVU player throws a punch at floor-rushing fan

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
I think it is hilarious that the wvu player (who was clearly looking to get bumped in to) punched a guy in the back of the head and the guy didn't even seem very affected by it. WVU is getting pretty weak these days.

Each of the players who went into the crowd and we're shoving fans should be suspended for one game, the guy who threw the punch should be out for 3.

What did Marcus Smart get for his deal in the stands?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
#1 Fans don't belong on the court.
#2 Players shouldn't be punching fans on the court
#3 There's something rich about Iowa State fans calling WVU players thugs when we literally had a guy ninja kick a WVU player in Morgantown.

This guy must not have ever seen WVU play.

I didn't call them "thugs". I said they foul and fight instead of playing basketball. That's undeniable fact. Why do you think Hogue responded in that crazy way against WVU and not against KU or Texas? Because they don't play basketball, they play foul ball, and that gets to people over time.

It also looks pretty clear from the video the fans are simply rushing the court (not at WVU players) and at least two WVU players decided to fight fans. You make the call on what you want to call them for that but facts are facts.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Good grief.....so you got people calling for the banning of court storming because of this.....blaming the victim. Citing some rare and tragic instances, that were more safety instances and not assaults....but still not understanding risk ratio. Let's ban everything! Stay home where it is safe.

I think you misundstand - I think we're calling for the banning of WVU, or, at least, Thuggyball.

L

LincolnWay187

Whatever he gets for a suspension is deserved. But I don't have much sympathy for the fan either. You rush into an uncontrolled and emotional environment like that and you accept all the risks.
Once the game is over...its just like being back in the real world...and in the real world people dont get a pass for taking a swing on someone if they get accidentally bumped into.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
So, isn't there a fine or something involved now when there is a court rush?

I thought the conference had rules on this now.

• Useful
Reactions: CyBen50

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
This guy must not have ever seen WVU play.

I didn't call them "thugs". I said they foul and fight instead of playing basketball. That's undeniable fact. Why do you think Hogue responded in that crazy way against WVU and not against KU or Texas? Because they don't play basketball, they play foul ball, and that gets to people over time.

It also looks pretty clear from the video the fans are simply rushing the court (not at WVU players) and at least two WVU players decided to fight fans. You make the call on what you want to call them for that but facts are facts.
I've seen WVU play plenty. You might not have called them thugs (I never said you did) but a ton of other people have.

There is literally no excuse for the reason Hogue responded the way he did. None. Zero. Zilch. Maybe next you can justify Leonard Johnson leveling the UNLV QB in the endzone?

West Virginia can't recruit terribly talented basketball players so they play a style that suits their roster. Do they foul a lot? Yes. Are they all whistled? No. For the most part, they are a very good defensive team that plays physical (more similar to an NBA game than how college hoops currently is).

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I assume they will suspend Huggie and a couple players for BOTH of their games against Kansas and reinstate Preston effective immediately. Also move the game at WVU on Monday to Allen, cause Kansas.

Also expect them to announce suspensions for Wigginton, Lard and Babb for winning Saturday.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I think it is hilarious that the wvu player (who was clearly looking to get bumped in to) punched a guy in the back of the head and the guy didn't even seem very affected by it. WVU is getting pretty weak these days.

Each of the players who went into the crowd and we're shoving fans should be suspended for one game, the guy who threw the punch should be out for 3.

What did Marcus Smart get for his deal in the stands?
Three games.

ISU4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
#1 Fans don't belong on the court.
#2 Players shouldn't be punching fans on the court
#3 There's something rich about Iowa State fans calling WVU players thugs when we literally had a guy ninja kick a WVU player in Morgantown.

8FDB6534-1A82-43D3-9EBB-5719AEDA2A2B.jpeg

I see no foul.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclonepride

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I've seen WVU play plenty. You might not have called them thugs (I never said you did) but a ton of other people have.

There is literally no excuse for the reason Hogue responded the way he did. None. Zero. Zilch. Maybe next you can justify Leonard Johnson leveling the UNLV QB in the endzone?

West Virginia can't recruit terribly talented basketball players so they play a style that suits their roster. Do they foul a lot? Yes. Are they all whistled? No. For the most part, they are a very good defensive team that plays physical (more similar to an NBA game than how college hoops currently is).

No excuse huh? If you were getting mauled all game while the refs just stand around at some point you will start defending yourself.

Let's face the facts, this is garbage basketball. Thuggins had a middling program when they joined the Big 12. They were finishing towards the bottom the first couple years. So he knew to compete he needed a gimmick.

So far it's working, shuttle 13 players in and out, foul at all times knowing refs can't call a foul every possession, and use the turnovers it creates as compensation for that.

Just once I want to see a ref say enough is enough and call a foul every time. We'll see how good they are or how long they continue playing that way when all 13 of their players are in foul trouble immediately.

We all know that won't happen though,no ref wants to stand up to Thuggins or be personally responsibility for him having a heart attack on the floor.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
That's because it's a still image, in reality it was more like this:
latest

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I am sure emotions were running high after the loss, but there is no excuse for the WVU player punching the fan. He should be suspended for multiple games.

I hate Huggie ball. This style of play isn't new to WVU. He also played a similar style at Cincinnati. His style of play keeps WVU competitive every year, but I think it also limits the amount of success his program can have too. The Big 12 may accept the physical play, but in the NCAA tourney they wont let you foul your way to a Final Four.