WOW...CU and Nebbie buyout penalties

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless
If that amount is accurate, The Big 12 should seriously consider investing part of it, at least, in a Big 12 network. That would go a long way toward the start-up costs, I'd suspect.

Start up cost would be minimal. If the Big 12 does it like the Big Ten they simply go in a partnership with an already existing network. The Big 10 Network is 51% Big Ten and 49% Fox Sports. Fox brings their existing network and modifies it while the conference brings the schools and games while keeping majority control.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
Didn't JP indicate that this money would be earmarked to "make TX, OU and aTm whole" if at some future point it is determined that it cost them money to stay in the Big XII. If TX starts it's own network it would be tough for them to argue they suffered financialy by not going to the ac 10.

No he didn't. The big 12 commissioner insinuated that on a teleconference.

What seems to have been indicated since then by JP and others in interviews is that the "forgotten five" Would be willing to share their portion of the Buyout (and other conference revenue) from NE and CU to the point TAMU, OU, and TX would make the same as had they transferred to the other conferences.

Since then TX has stated they appreciate that gesture but aren't interested.

JP also said in a radio interview that the only school that he thinks would need to be paid is TAMU.

You can't know with certainty about it because it all depends on your TV appearances, and other conference revenue which won't be known until after the fact.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
You can't know with certainty about it because it all depends on your TV appearances, and other conference revenue which won't be known until after the fact.

So, if the conference wanted to maximize the penalty to be paid by CU and NU, they would arrange for them to be on TV as much as possible?

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
This just became the worst mistake in Colorado history.

They are cash strapped as it is. Now they have millions to pay, don't have the money and the Pac 10 won't pay it for them; meanwhile, they will be receiving far less in the Pac 10 then they did in the Big 12 for revenue sharing. Also, the Pac 10 is even more unequal then the Big 12 when it comes to sharing revenue. Colorado is going down fast. How much time is left on Hawkins contract? No way he gets fired now!

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
So, if the conference wanted to maximize the penalty to be paid by CU and NU, they would arrange for them to be on TV as much as possible?

No, because that would allow them to keep 20%. Them not being on TV is best for everyone else.

They owe 80% of all their conference revenue for the last 2 years they are in conference. So every extra dollar they make from being on TV means they earn $.20 they wouldn't have made otherwise.

ISU as an individual school would stand to gain by them being on TV as long as they didn't bump us from being on TV that week because we'd get $.08 for every TV dollar they gained. That's assuming they aren't keeping us from being on TV.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Mook

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I've been saying this for weeks. I don't understand why people can't understand this concept. :confused:

That is like saying that you don't pay taxes, it is just withheld from your check. Either way you pay! If you are making (hypothetically) 30 million + 10 million in revenue sharing, your budget will be 40 million. Whether you pay 10 mil or you never receive it, the result is the same; you have 40 million in responsibilities and only 30 million in revenue.

The Mook

Jun 26, 2008
Ankeny, IA
www.twitter.com
That is like saying that you don't pay taxes, it is just withheld from your check. Either way you pay! If you are making (hypothetically) 30 million + 10 million in revenue sharing, your budget will be 40 million. Whether you pay 10 mil or you never receive it, the result is the same; you have 40 million in responsibilities and only 30 million in revenue.

Of course it is the same in the end, but people keep acting like CU and Nebby have to write the league (or other schools) a check.

"Excuse me Mr. Osborne, we'll need 48 hours for this check to clear before you can move to the BigTen."

:biglaugh:

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
As much as I would like to see that money at ISU, I say we take Memphis, get their 10 million, take someone else from a big city (not sure who or from where) and go after a couple big schools, offering them $20 million each. The 10 current members of our conference each take 1 million as consolation. The two new big schools have their 20 mill, we have some money, Memphis and whatever other school we invite get in with the big boys. Our conference is expanded to 14 and also has an enlarged TV footprint, making us much more attractive to TV execs. We leverage this to a better TV deal, ultimately making more money than the 4 million we would have if we had just split the money in the first place.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

No, it's actually a pretty key difference. Because if they have the money the Big XII has to sue them to get it. If the Big XII has the money Nebraska/Colorado have to sue the Big XII to get it.

Reactions: The Mook

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless

The point of the matter and why the distinction is being made is that by with holding the money the Big 12 is not at risk by CU not being able to come up with the money.

No one is debating the fact that CU does not have to pay. Rather, since the Big 12 can just withhold it they don't have to worry about CU paying them back especially since there is some concern that CU will be in a tight spot with money. Understand.

With this being said, this only applies to the normal/regular TV revenue sharing that CU would have received if it had stayed in the conference. The Big 12 will simply not pay them. No idea how CU comes up with the penalty exit funds unless they volunteer additional TV sharing money to be used for this purpose as I don't think the Big 12 can legally with hold additional TV revenue to be used for penalty money unless agreed upon by CU as they are two seperate issues.

Last edited:

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
No, it's actually a pretty key difference. Because if they have the money the Big XII has to sue them to get it. If the Big XII has the money Nebraska/Colorado have to sue the Big XII to get it.

very good point. There's a big difference between having to pay money and having money withheld, especially when Nebraska is grousing about the terms.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Cannt they just not allow their games to be on TV? The way the Big 12-10 TV contract is if you are not on TV you dont get paid as much. That way there really wouldnt be any thing to sue over.

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
now the quote,"HUCK THE FUSKERS!", is coming home to roost.fuskers,enjoy your new conference and thanks for the extra stash for the members of the big 12 that stayed
behind and welcome to "OHIO STATE"!!!!!!!!

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
The point of the matter and why the distinction is being made is that by with holding the money the Big 12 is not at risk by CU not being able to come up with the money.

No one is debating the fact that CU does not have to pay. Rather, since the Big 12 can just withhold it they don't have to worry about CU paying them back especially since there is some concern that CU will be in a tight spot with money. Understand.

With this being said, this only applies to the normal/regular TV revenue sharing that CU would have received if it had stayed in the conference. The Big 12 will simply not pay them. No idea how CU comes up with the penalty exit funds unless they volunteer additional TV sharing money to be used for this purpose as I don't think the Big 12 can legally with hold additional TV revenue to be used for penalty money unless agreed upon by CU as they are two seperate issues.

I'm not debating whether CU or NU has to pay. To state that CU or NU won't have to pay is very mis-leading. They are going to pay dearly for leaving! Also the revenue sharing for one year won't cover the cost for CU to leave and probably won't cover NU's cost.

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless
I'm not debating whether CU or NU has to pay. To state that CU or NU won't have to pay is very mis-leading. They are going to pay dearly for leaving! Also the revenue sharing for one year won't cover the cost for CU to leave and probably won't cover NU's cost.

I don't think anyone in this thread said otherwise.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Dean: "I'm sorry boys, I've never had to expel anyone before. That pig had some powerful friends."

Pres. Richard Nixon To CU and NU:

"Oh, you'll pay. Don't think that you won't pay!"

180px-Simpsons_-_Nixon_Whacking_Day.jpg
Homer_Goes_to_College_promo.gif

Last edited:

thrillcat

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Whether you pay 10 mil or you never receive it, the result is the same; you have 40 million in responsibilities and only 30 million in revenue.

There's a big difference.

This year, the campus has dealt with not receiving as many dollars in state allocated funds (due to budget cuts). That sucks.

Last year, the campus had to give back money that had already been given to it from the state and distributed to units around campus. That sucked HARD.

Think of it this way. Which is harder for you to adjust to?

1. Your boss says, "hey, we had a bad month. The check 5 checks you're going to get in are going to each be $100 short. Sorry."

or,

2. Your boss says, "hey, March really sucked, I need you to pay me back $500 of that check by the end of the week."

TxCycloneFan

Oct 19, 2006
Bastrop TX
810 Radio was talking about this today and how NU will try to get out of paying because they will say the conference is worth more now that they left. I imagine this will go to court and there will be a settlement.

I know my property value went up when the hillbilly neighbors moved their trailer out.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
There's a big difference.

This year, the campus has dealt with not receiving as many dollars in state allocated funds (due to budget cuts). That sucks.

Last year, the campus had to give back money that had already been given to it from the state and distributed to units around campus. That sucked HARD.

Think of it this way. Which is harder for you to adjust to?

1. Your boss says, "hey, we had a bad month. The check 5 checks you're going to get in are going to each be $100 short. Sorry."

or,

2. Your boss says, "hey, March really sucked, I need you to pay me back $500 of that check by the end of the week."

Are you seriously trying to find something to argue about?

Your example is unrealistic. Do we know of a deadline for this money to be paid back by? When does the conference revenue come in?

There are big differences. Nebraska has more than a week notice and unlike most of us who work only one job, the revenue from the conference is only one source of income for Nebraska and Colorado, and not even their primary source.

Really, if you are going to use that example it is more like:
1. Your boss says, "hey, we had a bad year. The you wont' get a bonus check. Sorry."

or,

2. Your boss says, "hey, this year really sucked, I need you to pay me back your bonus and you have almost a year to do it."

Also, keep in mind that we are talking much different scales. The way money is managed in a department like this is nothing like the average person manages their finances.

At the end of the day Nebraska and Colorado are going to pay us 10 million and you are worried about the payment options hurting them?:biglaugh: