Would you return college athletics to the state they were in during yr 2000?

Would you return college athletics to the state they were in during the year 2000?

• YES

Votes: 28 68.3%
  • NO

Votes: 13 31.7%

• Total voters

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
This is stemming from the Bill article also posted today. Would you return college athletics to as they were during the year 2000? Much has happen in the years since Y2K has it made the athletic environment for collegiate sports better or worse in your eyes?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Would this mean Seneca is our eternal QB? And Cael will win the national championship every season while Eustachy takes us deep into March Madness?

Hell yes.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Hell yes. I would love to have the Big 12 again like it was in 2000.

Conference realingment sucks donkey.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Also, our women's Bball team was able to dominate with their finesse style. How I long for the days when basketball wasn't basketbrawl.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I put no, not because I don't wish the conferences would go back (I wish they would). But because that would mean we wouldn't have CPR, CFH, or Jamie Pollard, and I feel really good about the direction of ISU athletics

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis
What is so unique about the year 2000? Was college athletics not being driven by money then? It's been driven by money my whole lifetime. I only vote yes because I hate the whole conference realignment BS which is really just a manifestation of what drives college sports.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
What is so unique about the year 2000? Was college athletics not being driven by money then? It's been driven by money my whole lifetime. I only vote yes because I hate the whole conference realignment BS which is really just a manifestation of what drives college sports.

Agreed, it's always been driven by money. Realignment was even happening back then as well. That was the time frame that the Mountain West split from the WAC and discussions were started then for the first round of Big East to ACC teams.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The Big 12 was born out of realignment - it's just that since we were one of the winners rather than one of the losers it didn't necessarily seem like a bad thing.

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
Which brings up the question, have any schools moved states since 2000? How long would it take them to pack up the buildings and move them?

I believe Long Beach State moved in 2002. Went from Long Beach, New York to Long Beach, CA. Took them about 8 months to fully move all their buildings across the country. Had to leave some of the bigger dorms. Seems like that move has gone pretty well for them..

There was a rumor that some of the students didn't even know they were moving and came back to go to class the next year and failed all their courses.

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
This isn't about ISU and the particular coaches or season we had then, and yes college athletics were money driven then, but not like today. This is about how out of wack college sports have gotten led by the greedy B$g 10. Commentators actually complain about how college athletes are taken advantage of and should be paid. How about, they don't have the debt almost everyone else has when leaving college and they get their room and board paid for along with a stipend. I wish someone would have taken advantage of me like that when I was in school. Realignment totally ignores the college athlete particular those in the non revenue sports. It's really great that the Nebraska women's softball team travels to New Jersey for a mid week game now rather than busing to one of the many border state schools. Something has got to give as the current trajectory is for college sports to more like semi pro teams, no thanks.

D

DistrictCyclone

Exactly. College athletics was still infected with the things people have bemoaned here, but hadn't become as symptomatic yet.

The seeds for the realignment shuffle were planted in the early 80s when Chuck Neinas helped OU/UGA wrest control over their TV rights from the NCAA. That was the single-most pivotal moment, IMO.

kilroy

Jun 10, 2010
hills to flat lands
I miss border rivalry, but sucking and not having any money to better the dept was worse. I know we had a few good years but Jesus being bent over the money table by Tx and Ne and Ok was worse.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron