Would you hire Kirk Ferentz brother?

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
There is interest from some in hiring Terry Brands, the brother of the Iowa wrestling coach. Just wondered how many would favor hiring the brother of Kirk Ferentz? (Obviously this is hypothetical as I really like Rhoads) I'm not sure Iowa State wants to get into this type of arrangement. Terry is successful as is Iowa, but somehow, hiring him would seem odd to me. Any opinions?

Not sure KF even has a brother, but some food for thought.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
As long as the new coach would be aggressive and coach 'to win'...I wouldn't mind.

Last edited:

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
We should hire the best coach we can find, period. I don't care if he's related to a Hawkeye. That is for the media and fans to make a mess of. That sort of business doesn't need to be involved in the program and players itself.

We as a fanbase obsess way, way too much over the Hawkeyes.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
I'd hire his grandmother if she could lead ISU to a BCS bowl game.

Cystate22

Apr 11, 2006
Reinbeck, Iowa
You take the best coach we can find. It doesn't matter one bit if he has ties to the hawks. If an Iowa fan ever says anything to you about needing a hawk coach to win all you have to do is say Gable. He was a cyclone!

06Panther

Sep 1, 2008
I think that this would be different. Iowa took arguably the greatest wrestler ever from ISU and he turned out to be the most successful coach ever at Iowa.

Hiring a Brands, a couple of weeks after losing another all time great ISU wrestler to the Big Ten would be a good move IMO.

Seth

Mar 17, 2006
Columbia, SC
If Kirk Ferentz and his brother had won the last 2 national championships, yeah, I probably would. But, without that connection, the analogy doesn't really work, now does it?

Reactions: CYVADER

CYKXBUT

Jul 21, 2006
We should hire the best coach we can find, period. I don't care if he's related to a Hawkeye. That is for the media and fans to make a mess of. That sort of business doesn't need to be involved in the program and players itself.

We as a fanbase obsess way, way too much over the Hawkeyes.
OK, taking the Squawk issues out of the thought process. You are the top high school wrestler in the nation at your weight class and you are down to choosing a coach. Why would you choose Terry over Tom? They are very similar personally and how they coach.
National championships as a wrestler? Tom has 3 to Terry's 2
National championships as a HC? Tom has 2 to Terry's 0
Olympic medalist? Tom - Gold to Terry - Bronze
Terry is second fiddle to Tom in each instance. This does not exite me. I would not mind them taking on each other on the mat. That I'm sure, would be classic.
But back to the issue, why go to ISU with Terry over Tom?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
If he works cheaply, he should be considered. If he is expensive, we can do better.

jl112481

Jul 25, 2007
Franklin, WI
As long as the new coach would be aggressive and coach 'not to lose'...I wouldn't mind.

I've always been the one who thought that we should "coach to win" and not "coach not to lose." I figure that this is what you meant, but Dan McCarney was known for "coaching not to lose" while he was here and it didn't always work so good.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
I've always been the one who thought that we should "coach to win" and not "coach not to lose." I figure that this is what you meant, but Dan McCarney was known for "coaching not to lose" while he was here and it didn't always work so good.

should have been 'to win'

sorry..typo

Help Support Us

Become a patron