Would TJ drop everything and take the ISU job if it came open?

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
The canned answer is no..........anyone could have done that with that easy draw and Fred's players.
Prohm did well his second year getting the most out of that group. Honestly, I think that first year our record of 23-12 was likely the “floor” of what that team was capable of.

Reactions: agentbear

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Prohm did well his second year getting the most out of that group. Honestly, I think that first year our record of 23-12 was likely the “floor” of what that team was capable of.

I think the first year could have gone better also but wasn't that the year Naz went down and McKay started acting out?

• Agree
Reactions: ISUChippewa

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Why? It cancels itself out.
Win at home, add a few on the road (like Fred), you have success.

Prohm loses here and away. That's the worst trade-off.
Pretty sure Prohm had the most road wins in a long time with one of the earlier years.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Maybe some insiders can help me out. I feel like if he gets to a P5 job we’ll have missed our chance with him. He was my #1 pick and the obvious continuation pick but the AD wanted a Jesus man after Fred left.

Be careful what you wish for. I doubt anyone on here knows the answer to your question, but I do not believe T.J. is such a sure fire hire and a clear improvement over Prohm as the OP probably believes. I'm not sure we'll find better than Prohm. I feel bad for him if any of his staff or he is reading this stuff. The problem for Prohm was that Fred had us really REALLY rolling. Top 10 type program with big recruits knocking on the door and already secured so many great players that are currently having NBA success. I'm not sure we'll get much better than Fred, unfortunately, and while I felt from the beginning that we won't improve upon Fred at ISU, Prohm was a decent hire at the time. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Time will tell, but I'm not convinced T.J. will have great success at a high level. Let's see how it goes at UNLV for a couple years.

By the way, I'm also not saying Prohm is going to lead us to Fred-type heights and sustained championships. I don't believe he will, but my main point is that I don't feel confident T.J. is an improvement over Prohm and given Prohm's contract, I'd hope this kind of negativity can quite down for a year. I agree the results haven't been good or exciting anymore, but I'm just not sure we'll get better. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer. I just don't think coaches around the country will hold our program in the high esteem we do as a "Top 15" type job.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Pretty sure Prohm had the most road wins in a long time with one of the earlier years.

We'll have to check it out. If so, it sounds like you're using a year where we were still winning at home as the example, which really doesn't make your point.
Never trade off winning at home. A program can't go anywhere if they don't start with winning at home.

• Agree
Reactions: awd4cy

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
We'll have to check it out. If so, it sounds like you're using a year where we were still winning at home as the example, which really doesn't make your point.
Never trade off winning at home. A program can't go anywhere if they don't start with winning at home.
I don't really want to trade off anything other than some freaking cool for this fan base. My whole point originally was that Fred had terrible let downs as well and people just seem to magically forget that. Almost every year of Fred's tenure people weren't happy with how our records finished. If your unhappy with Prohm fine but don't make it a Fred thing. Only reason I am is because it seems to be the only thing people want to argue about.

Reactions: CYEATHAWK

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Like I said I don't have time to check stats but I'm almost certain Prohm's conference road record is better than Fred's.
Fred’s road record in the conference was 14-30 over 5 years
Steve’s road record in the conference is 12-33 over five years.

Fred’s home record in the conference was 35-9 over five years.
Steve’s home record in the conference is 28-17 over five years.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I don't really want to trade off anything other than some freaking cool for this fan base. My whole point originally was that Fred had terrible let downs as well and people just seem to magically forget that. Almost every year of Fred's tenure people weren't happy with how our records finished. If your unhappy with Prohm fine but don't make it a Fred thing. Only reason I am is because it seems to be the only thing people want to argue about.

People were fine with Fred because he made the tourney. That’s the main goal every year.

Reactions: Scott34

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins

My signature comes from when Fred was here and I just never got around to changing it. I don't remember what year or what game it was created after, but there are quite a few options. People look back on that era with a huge amount of appreciation, but in the later seasons there was a lot of freaking out about the defense not being better, rebounding not being good enough, and lack of effort - the same things people complain about now. There were also a lot of really close losses, considering the fact that some people here consider Hoiberg an in-game coaching legend and Prohm a huge failure in that respect.

I certainly recognize that the program isn't where people hoped it would be in Prohm's sixth season. He hasn't been able to maintain a core of players to build on, partially from his own recruiting and evaluation success, but also because of evaluation and development failures. This season is going to be bumpy, but I don't like having threads like this right now because it isn't helpful in any way. Prohm will be here through at least next season. This season we can watch for development, promising signs, and hope that the team might surprise some people, including most everyone here. I still think they can, and I would argue that even some things I saw last night were still more promising than what we've seen in Prohm's other tournament-missing seasons.

Edit:
Also, on the thread's intent, I think many people would be disappointed by Otz's teams if he were here, in part because of the rose-colored glasses that people have about Hoiberg. The complaints would end up being the same as they have since Hoiberg was here. And is it really worth discussing hiring a coach who is 0-4 to start the season?

Last edited:

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Fred’s road record in the conference was 14-30 over 5 years
Steve’s road record in the conference is 12-33 over five years.

Fred’s home record in the conference was 35-9 over five years.
Steve’s home record in the conference is 28-17 over five years.

So in the same time period.....in conference Fred had one bad year.......Steve has two. And Fred has 90....I mean an entire 9 more conference wins. That settles it......call JP and get the arrest warrant for Steve Prohm.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
What's Prohm's buyout? Do you have the money to pay it? Didn't think so. Also, last I checked this is one hell of a freshman class. That said, can't deny his disappointing record. You got me there. As for football, it was an analogy of spoiled fans. You just proved that.
How many times do I have to tell you- he is not getting fired. What part of this do you not understand? Why do you perseverate on this when I did not say it? Only way Steve is gone is if he leaves on his own. Please, find someone to read this to you so you understand it this time.
Time will judge this freshman class- it will be overvalued in the end because Prohm has not shown the ability to keep his guys here.

That said, I am pulling for them. Losing sucks

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
That is on the AD who gave the man an unnecessary extension two years ago. Gotta take the good with the bad and the AD screwed the pooch on this one. Bad work out of him. Many people said so at the time too.

I don’t think Jaime hired Prohm originally, I mean the same guy that hired Fred and Matt Campbell hired steve prohm? Makes no sense

but he did really mess up the extension, Jaime should have run him out of town then.

Reactions: Scott34

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
So in the same time period.....in conference Fred had one bad year.......Steve has two. And Fred has 90....I mean an entire 9 more conference wins. That settles it......call JP and get the arrest warrant for Steve Prohm.
Steve had 95 wins over 5 years compared to Fred’s 115. 4 wins a year is a fairly big difference.
And there is a difference between averaging 10-8 in the conference and averaging 8-10.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron