Worst ISU Football Team You've Watched

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
2006 loss to KU at home was another peach. Losing 41-3 before a garage TD. KU was 6-6 that year and not good.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The difference in talent between the two teams was as lopsided as any game I've ever seen. Without seeing the score you could tell Baylor was beating the **** out of them. Bigger, faster, and more athletic at just about every position.

For some reason one of the things I remember is we finally scored a touchdown late in the 4th quarter after we were down 60 some odd points, only to have Baylor return the ensuring kickoff for a touchdown.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I realize there are probably worse Iowa State teams in the history of the program, but the worst team I have watched closely in my living memory was 2008.

That was the second Chizik team. They went 2-10 (0-8 in the Big 12).

View attachment 73738

Easy wins over overmatched MVC and MAC schools
Lose a grinding defense game at Kinnick
Somehow lose to a crappy UNLV team in overtime
Take a big lead into halftime against ranked KU -- and pee it away
Four weeks of generally getting our teeth kicked in
Lose at Colorado... on the infamous option to the short side of the field... somehow could not score to win from 1st and goal on four tries...
Missouri kicks our butt, and Kansas State handles us

Then Chizik bailed -- somehow got a promotion after 5-19 to Auburn.

What an awful season to forget.

Not only were they bad, but they were boring. The Iowa, UNLV, Kansas, and Colorado games were there for a taking (for a record of 6-6 and a bowl game), but we just never seemed like we were really all that interested in actually winning games.

This was the first thing that came to my mind as well, heck just lump the 2 years of Chizik together in general as they both were hard to watch IMO. For as much hype as he had when we hired him those were 2 of the most undisciplined and fundamentally flawed teams I can remember watching and that lies squarely on the coaching staff how poor we played and all the boneheaded mistakes we kept making and never improving on. It was apparent after he left that Chizik left Rhoads some talent but how that talent played on Saturdays was night and day even in that first season of Rhoads when you had a staff that has some accountability and desire to improve from week to week.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
This is why alcohol was invented

The amount of booze I downed during and following all of these games makes me wince in pain just thinking about it.

The Mizzou game was especially brutal. A buddy and I were road tripping down to Columbia, but not staying either night. We left Ames at like 3AM on Saturday. He was "responsible" and went to bed early (10PM) on Friday and was only going to bring a 12 pack for tailgating. I went to bed at 2AM for about 30 minutes. I grabbed two large coffees at the now Kum & Go at Mortenson and South Dakota (was something else in '05), and we were tailgating by 8:30AM or so.

The drive back was just terrible. We were tired, dejected, possibly still drunk (I was anyway), and starving (we did not bring a grill). We gorged ourselves at a Golden Corral in Kirkwood. When we got back to Ames (some time around 9 maybe), I went back out until god knows when.

Sunday hurt. A lot.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
For some reason one of the things I remember is we finally scored a touchdown late in the 4th quarter after we were down 60 some odd points, only to have Baylor return the ensuring kickoff for a touchdown.

By Corey Coleman, I think. Or one of their other receivers who would later go on to the NFL as I think a number of them from the Briles era did.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
The amount of booze I downed during and following all of these games makes me wince in pain just thinking about it.

The Mizzou game was especially brutal. A buddy and I were road tripping down to Columbia, but not staying either night. We left Ames at like 3AM on Saturday. He was "responsible" and went to bed early (10PM) on Friday and was only going to bring a 12 pack for tailgating. I went to bed at 2AM for about 30 minutes. I grabbed two large coffees at the now Kum & Go at Mortenson and South Dakota (was something else in '05), and we were tailgating by 8:30AM or so.

The drive back was just terrible. We were tired, dejected, possibly still drunk (I was anyway), and starving (we did not bring a grill). We gorged ourselves at a Golden Corral in Kirkwood. When we got back to Ames (some time around 9 maybe), I went back out until god knows when.

Sunday hurt. A lot.

My king

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Living and dying on every one of those games wasn't much better.

Those Iowa, Aggy, Farmageddon, and Tornado games were pretty amazing though.
I vividly remember the Iowa and the CU games. I was probably 10 years old at the time. Those were the two best memories in Jack Trice history for me for a long time until 2011 and 2012 and thennnn 2017 lol.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
The difference in talent between the two teams was as lopsided as any game I've ever seen. Without seeing the score you could tell Baylor was beating the **** out of them. Bigger, faster, and more athletic at just about every position.

The only thing that I remember from that game is ISU scored a garbage touchdown with about a minute left, and Walters saying - as the ensuing kickoff is in the air - that at least we avoided the worst loss in program history. Baylor returned it for a TD, and Walters was just dismayed......sounded so dejected.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
We knew we were gonna be bad in 2003. The 0-10-1 season was a different story. Walden spent the summer telling everyone we were going bowling. I remember him saying at CVCC banquet,"We've taken them as far as we can as coaches. Now it's on them." Almost like he was pre-throwing the players under the bus if things didn't go well. And they didn't. Kicked things off with a loss to UNI and it was all downhill from there. Can't believe that pathetic team even mustered a tie.

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
I've seen all these teams after 1995 play (and 1 lose to UNI before that). Recency bias probably points me towards that game in Baylor as the worst team performance--not sure that was the worst team but even teams that were bad at least tried for their coach most of the time. That game in Baylor was when it became clear to me that Rhodes had lost the grip (if he ever had one) on being a head coach for Iowa State. I do remember going to see some absolute beatdowns at KState in the late 90s and the Tim Dwight game, but that Baylor one sticks for some reason.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Sunday hurt. A lot.

Oh for the days of having the energy to do something like this.

CycloneRoss

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2010
2014 for me since I'm still relatively young. Bundrage going down and out for the year on like the third play of the season was an ominous sign. But I remember Mangino having the offense score 14 on NDSU in the blink of an eye and turning to my friend and being like "Dude, I think we may actually be really good".

And because the 2014 team sucked and the game was on LHN, but it gets forgotten just how brutally bad the Texas game ended. Hilarious.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
I've only been a fan since 2007 when I came for grad school. The stretch from 2013-2015 is the absolute worst football I've ever seen played, and played consistently. Couldn't stop anyone on defense. 2 losses to FCS teams, lost by 20 at Kansas, 5 game stretch in 2013 with 4 30+ point losses....I couldn't understand why they brought CPR back in 2015, then to lose that K-State game the way it went down.

Go look at the 2009 and 2010 recruiting classes on 24/7, and count the number of names that you never remember hearing.

Last edited:

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
A butterfly flaps its wings and it starts raining in Central Park.

Woody Hayes punches that Clemson player and Iowa State sucks at football.
I think I've told this story on here before, but I remember watching that with my dad -- can't remember if we saw it live or on the highlights -- and Dad said,"Dear God, I hope they don't come steal our coach." They sure did.

CycloneRoss

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2010
I've only been a fan since 2007 we I came for grad school. The stretch from 2013-2015 is the absolute worst football I've ever seen played, and played consistently. Couldn't stop anyone on defense. 2 losses to FCS teams, lost by 20 at Kansas, 5 game stretch in 2013 with 4 30+ point losses....then to lose that K-State game the way it went down. I couldn't understand why they brought CPR back in 2015. Go look at the 2009 and 2010 recruiting classes on 24/7, and count the number of names that you never remember hearing.
Please don't forget about the 2012 class which I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say it may be the worst recruiting class in the history of major college foot all.
https://247sports.com/college/iowa-state/Season/2012-Football/Commits/

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I’ve been a fan since the late Seventies. Please don’t make me go there.

It was like stepping off a cliff after Earle Bruce.[/QUOTE

Well now .....You have to understand that after Earle Bruce left, ISU decided to let the football program GO TO HELL and Hired Johnny Orr a year later and we became a BASKETBALL SCHOOL and have been ever since...and probably always will be....football suck-sess has been fleeting at best.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I think I've told this story on here before, but I remember watching that with my dad -- can't remember if we saw it live or on the highlights -- and Dad said,"Dear God, I hope they don't come steal our coach." They sure did.

I thought the same thing and even said to my wife..."I think Earle Bruce is gone".

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
October 6, 1979, Losing 24-7 to The University of the Pacific was my introduction into never feeling comfortable about a pushover opponent.

Forty one years and all those nut kicks later, I hope you younger fans can understand the feeling of impending doom we old-timers feel when it looks like there MIGHT be a W in the bag -only to have Lucy pull the football away at the last minute.

That said, optimism and hope for the future are a never ending commodity for the long-suffering Cyclone fan. It only makes the wins that much sweeter.

I had four season tickets to that game and gave 2 of them to my buddy who was a Iowa State fan...after the game while drink a brew ...Bud Light of course.... in the parking lot all he could say was..."I just knew if I came they would lose." Had to be the worst loss of the Donnie Duncan era

Help Support Us

Become a patron