Worst ISU Football Team You've Watched

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It wouldn't be my worst team pick but the circumstances and result around that TCU game was one of the most depressing weeks I remember. They had to win big to have a shot at the National Championship and no one was talking about ISU even putting up a fight, it was more about how much Patterson was going to run it up before he called it. And they were absolutely right.

Busy day for Colin Downing - nine punts!

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
October 6, 1979, Losing 24-7 to The University of the Pacific was my introduction into never feeling comfortable about a pushover opponent.

Forty one years and all those nut kicks later, I hope you younger fans can understand the feeling of impending doom we old-timers feel when it looks like there MIGHT be a W in the bag -only to have Lucy pull the football away at the last minute.

That said, optimism and hope for the future are a never ending commodity for the long-suffering Cyclone fan. It only makes the wins that much sweeter.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Some of the last Rhodes teams were just awful, and I think 2014 is my pick for the worst I’ve seen. Got absolutely bodied by NDSU. I have better memory of those bad Rhodes teams than I do the Chizik teams so that probably plays into it as well

The worst thing about that NDSU game is that it actually started out great for the Cyclones. Up 14-0 early and then the wheels came off....34 unanswered points. Good grief.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
October 6, 1979, Losing 24-7 to The University of the Pacific was my introduction into never feeling comfortable about a pushover opponent.

Forty one years and all those nut kicks later, I hope you younger fans can understand the feeling of impending doom we old-timers feel when it looks like there MIGHT be a W in the bag -only to have Lucy pull the football away at the last minute.

That said, optimism and hope for the future are a never ending commodity for the long-suffering Cyclone fan. It only makes the wins that much sweeter.
Oh we know.. Just last year we had the Baylor one, the Iowa one, and the OU one. I'll be honest too.. every single one of those games felt like a win.. Also, thank GOD Purdy fell on that fumble in the UNI game. That would've been such a classic ISU move.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Personally, it's McCarney's last year, 2006. Won first two games against Toledo and UNLV, then went on a run of 1-8 with that one win being against UNI in Week 5. Capped off with the fun win against Mizzou to end the era, but damn, that was a tough year to sit through.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Oh man, if we're just talking individual games it's hard to find one worse than the Baylor beatdown in 2013. 71-7. It was over in the first ten minutes.

My favorite Walters and Heft moment is after ISU scored with like a minute left and Baylor returned the kickoff. Hilarious

Reactions: jbindm

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Looking back at that 2005 team, that was one of the most memorable seasons for younger people like me. The 23-3 victory vs. #8 Iowa, back to back throttlings of A&M (Todd Blythe game) and K-State, the two defensive TD's and win against #22 CU at home. Looking at those scores brought back memories.. How tf did we lose some of those games?? Didn't we fumble twice on the goal line against Baylor to lose and miss a FG against KU to go to OT?

I'll break down the key moments in each loss as I remember them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Nebraska: We score first in OT. They get the ball, and a game winning INT hits Nick Leaders right in the bread basket and he can't hang on. Hard to pin much blame on a guy like him (one of my favorite Cyclones of all time), but that ends the game right there.

Baylor: 2 fumbles at the goal line. One of which occurred after the ball had pretty clearly broken the plane. It was a terrible call that changed the game That would have put us up 10. Instead Baylor got to retain possession and scored a TD, giving them a lead. Late in the game, we were down by like 3 and they had the ball. We had them at 3rd and 16, and their slow-ass QB scrambled for 17 yards. They score a TD to ice it away.

Mizzou: We spot them a 2 TD lead with a couple fumbles inside our own 20. Come roaring back. Brad Smith gets knocked out, and Chase Daniels comes in. We're up by a TD with less than 2:00 minutes, and they start driving. Steve Paris intercepts a pass that the Mizzou receiver briefly has possession of, and takes it to the house for a 14 point lead. Refs rule that the receiver was down by contact. Mizzou scores to take it to OT. Culbertson misses a chip shot in first OT, Mizzou converts field goal.

Kansas: We have a late lead and get typically conservative for the Mac era. Late in the game, Kansas desperately needs points, and they try a QB sneak at the goal line on 4th down. We obviously stop it short of the goal line, but somehow, they are awarded a touchdown. It's one of the worst calls that's ever gone against ISU. OT. Culbertson misses another chip shot and that ends it.

3 of the 4 regular season losses featured bad calls that either took points away from Iowa State or gave points to the opponent. 2 of them featured missed chip shot field goals that would have extended the game.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'll break down the key moments in each loss as I remember them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Nebraska: We score first in OT. They get the ball, and a game winning INT hits Nick Leaders right in the bread basket and he can't hang on. Hard to pin much blame on a guy like him (one of my favorite Cyclones of all time), but that ends the game right there.

Baylor: 2 fumbles at the goal line. One of which occurred after the ball had pretty clearly broken the plane. It was a terrible call that changed the game That would have put us up 10. Instead Baylor got to retain possession and scored a TD, giving them a lead. Late in the game, we were down by like 3 and they had the ball. We had them at 3rd and 16, and their slow-ass QB scrambled for 17 yards. They score a TD to ice it away.

Mizzou: We spot them a 2 TD lead with a couple fumbles inside our own 20. Come roaring back. Brad Smith gets knocked out, and Chase Daniels comes in. We're up by a TD with less than 2:00 minutes, and they start driving. Steve Paris intercepts a pass that the Mizzou receiver briefly has possession of, and takes it to the house for a 14 point lead. Refs rule that the receiver was down by contact. Mizzou scores to take it to OT. Culbertson misses a chip shot in first OT, Mizzou converts field goal.

Kansas: We have a late lead and get typically conservative for the Mac era. Late in the game, Kansas desperately needs points, and they try a QB sneak at the goal line on 4th down. We obviously stop it short of the goal line, but somehow, they are awarded a touchdown. It's one of the worst calls that's ever gone against ISU. OT. Culbertson misses another chip shot and that ends it.

3 of the 4 regular season losses featured bad calls that either took points away from Iowa State or gave points to the opponent. 2 of them featured missed chip shot field goals that would have extended the game.
Reading that was so depressing..

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I think it's difficult for the young folks these days to understand just how terrible ISU's facilities were compared to the rest of ISU's league and Iowa in the mid-90's. The 0-10-1 season didn't just happen out of the blue.

ISU was still very poor in Mac's first few years. Wasn't until 1998 that you started to see some signs of life in the program. Even in 2000 (9-3 bowl winning team) we only had in the low 30,000's in the stands for our final game of regular season.

What we have now is nothing like those days.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
2003 for me. Remember yelling at McCarney to punt it on 3rd down because they were just gonna get sacked and/or turn it over on 3rd and long anyway.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

This is why alcohol was invented

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls

That season had some awesome moments (Iowa game, Texas A&M game, Colorado tornado game) and then had these turds. Incredibly frustrating that year.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
OK, so not the most uplifting thread, but I think we're pretty used to discussing our abysmal history as a football program. Which ISU was the most hopeless that you watched in person? The 0-10-1 team was obviously terrible, but I was too young to catch any of those games.

Listening to the 77-14 beatdown from Nebraska in 1997 was bad, but the worst team I've seen play was McCarney's 2003 squad. Seneca was gone, and we were counting on Austin Flynn to keep the "momentum" from 2000-2002 going. I don't remember if he got hurt or benched, but we went from Flynn to Waye Terry to Cris Love at QB. They were outscored 343-71 in Big 12 play. I had a good time at the Kansas State game, which we lost 45-0.

The first thought that came to mind for me was 2003. I remember being at the Kansas State game that year and it was perhaps the lease competitive I've ever seen an Iowa State team.

The other one that sticks out in my mind was the 2013 Baylor. I thought we might lose by 150 points at one point during the game.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

I shouldn’t of still had an emotional reaction to reading that, but I did. This is exactly why younger clone fans need to appreciate what we have now. It could be worse..... so so much worse.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I think it's difficult for the young folks these days to understand just how terrible ISU's facilities were compared to the rest of ISU's league and Iowa in the mid-90's. The 0-10-1 season didn't just happen out of the blue.

ISU was still very poor in Mac's first few years. Wasn't until 1998 that you started to see some signs of life in the program. Even in 2000 (9-3 bowl winning team) we only had in the low 30,000's in the stands for our final game of regular season.

What we have now is nothing like those days.

For those making the case for some of CPR's teams, I think it was just the general feeling of hopelessness around the program that made those teams seem so bad. There were already fans in 2013 who were done with Rhoads, and then nearly everyone bailed on him after 2104, and yet he still got another full season after that. It's one thing to be bad. It's another to be bad and know that things will only get worse until you blow it up and start over.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think the 2003 team actually had some talent. We won 7 games the year before and after. They just lacked leadership and the team appeared to quit down the stretch.

The 2014 team had a little talent too, but man, that year ended about as bad as a college football team could get.

I don't have a great recollection of the '97 team but that team was 1-10 and simply one of the least talented teams in all of football. We had no business being on the same field as the good teams in the big 12. 77-14 where Nebraska was playing with us in the 2nd quarter is a good example. .. it was what, 63-0 at the half?
I had just moved to Lincoln and I went to that game. It was the fourth quarter, Nebraska was up by just shy of a million points, the kNU third and fourth strings were playing and there were still Fusker fans around me screaming at the kNU players to rip somebody's head off.

Cytown12

Mar 11, 2012
Des Moines,IA
Oh we know.. Just last year we had the Baylor one, the Iowa one, and the OU one. I'll be honest too.. every single one of those games felt like a win.. Also, thank GOD Purdy fell on that fumble in the UNI game. That would've been such a classic ISU move.
Don't forget about Okie State that year too

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The first thought that came to mind for me was 2003. I remember being at the Kansas State game that year and it was perhaps the lease competitive I've ever seen an Iowa State team.

The other one that sticks out in my mind was the 2013 Baylor. I thought we might lose by 150 points at one point during the game.

The difference in talent between the two teams was as lopsided as any game I've ever seen. Without seeing the score you could tell Baylor was beating the **** out of them. Bigger, faster, and more athletic at just about every position.