Woodworkers Thread

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Ha. I hear that. Literally just yesterday morning I was digging through my garage and made a ill-advised comment about several car seats that are being “stored” and not in use because my kids are older now. Apparently, I will continue storing them.
Car seats cannot be safely used after the expiration date that is stamped on them, FYI and thank God.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Car seats cannot be safely used after the expiration date that is stamped on them, FYI and thank God.
We have donated to someone who in turn took them to target or BBB for a discount on a new one. I think the trade ins happen a couple times a year.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
20% I considered unusable (or atleast for the project I was doing, I cut a lot of it down and used it for something else)

You seem like the kind of guy that wants to do something right and not create a project that parts are cobbled together. You can use whatever they send you. Maybe you won't have problems (I hope you don't). But I would most definitely order extra or just plan on going back with your truck and getting boards that are actually straight, especially those 2x4s. Let us know how you come out. I am genuinely curious now!!

The throwaways weren’t bad at all so far. The stuff I got from Home Depot seems better than the 4x4s I got from Menards. I’m halfway done after this weekend.

The neighbor said a fence guy told him 300 dollars a post and I believe it now. Our ground is rock hard. I was doing this by myself and the post holes took me over a day and the rest was less than a day. The fence looks like it’s leaning a bit in the pics but it’s straight as an arrow.

3FB5AC98-E329-4EA3-B103-A304A7D6DBAF.jpeg

4C8A759E-6F28-40F7-88A5-955BC65989AE.jpeg

4255C8BD-4851-4AE9-A250-D38253B366B5.jpeg

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
The throwaways weren’t bad at all so far. The stuff I got from Home Depot seems better than the 4x4s I got from Menards. I’m halfway done after this weekend.

The neighbor said a fence guy told him 300 dollars a post and I believe it now. Our ground is rock hard. I was doing this by myself and the post holes took me over a day and the rest was less than a day. The fence looks like it’s leaning a bit in the pics but it’s straight as an arrow.

View attachment 99005

View attachment 99006

View attachment 99007
Did you rent an auger for the posts or do it the old fashioned way with a set of post hole diggers.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Did you rent an auger for the posts or do it the old fashioned way with a set of post hole diggers.

I borrowed the auger below from someone but it would completely stop or sit and spin once I hit about 18 inches. Once it wouldn’t move anymore, I had to repeatedly loosen dirt an inch or two at a time by hand, add some water and try the auger again. It was a pain in the ass. Setting the posts and building the actual fence was pretty easy, even by myself. A lot of screws.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I borrowed the auger below from someone but it would completely stop or sit and spin once I hit about 18 inches. Once it wouldn’t move anymore, I had to repeatedly loosen dirt an inch or two at a time by hand, add some water and try the auger again. It was a pain in the ass. Setting the posts and building the actual fence was pretty easy, even by myself. A lot of screws.

Oof those are rough. I think I would have thought long and hard about renting one of those post augers on tracks.

Your wife owes you a back rub and a couple beers after that.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011

Last time I put in a fence, having struggled with a two-person auger several times before, I rented a mini-loader, and it was some of the best money I’ve ever spent.

Reactions: AgronAlum

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Oof those are rough. I think I would have thought long and hard about renting one of those post augers on tracks.

Your wife owes you a back rub and a couple beers after that.

Oh I wished I had once I got going. The other side I have to do is it’s own challenge though. I dug all new holes for the side that’s done but the other side I have to use the existing holes. This means digging out the concrete because I’m sure the posts are gonna snap when I pull them. Oh and those neighbors put a chainlink fence on their side about 6 inches from my fence.

That and there are utilities coming through our yard everywhere.

Can’t wait. :rolleyes:

Then it’s onto the deck…

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby

It's the screwing that takes a lot of time... ;)

Reactions: clone4life82

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Got the rest done this weekend. Holy **** fencing sucks by yourself. I’m guessing I saved somewhere between 4-6 grand though after I stain it in a few months. No idea what fencing costs but I feel like it’s a lot. It took me probably 5 days if I don’t count getting rid of the old stuff.

67866721-FBD3-49C7-AC1B-429FB55C3506.jpeg

83FD7B47-EA10-47C6-A4E3-5C35D5430303.jpeg

Last edited:

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
This might be stupid question but the next project in a week or two is the deck. I’m putting on either round or square metal spindles. Do you drill holes for the spindles into the top and bottom of the rails or use connectors to attach? And do you connect the rails by toe nailing/screwing or some other way.

I’ve really never done any of this **** before.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
This might be stupid question but the next project in a week or two is the deck. I’m putting on either round or square metal spindles. Do you drill holes for the spindles into the top and bottom of the rails or use connectors to attach? And do you connect the rails by toe nailing/screwing or some other way.

I bought square ones from Menards that have like a 20degree cut on the top and bottom and just screwed them into the outside of my 2X6 horizontal runner.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011

Toe screwing is the way to go.

Oh, we’re talking about DECKS? My bad. Same answer though. I found a billion (approx) different options for railings, each with several possibilities for installation, none of which my wife and I could agree on. Once you’ve settled on a style, manuals (if they exist) and YouTube are your friend.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Not wood but I tried my hand at pouring a pad last weekend for the first time. It’s roughly 16x16 which migh be enough to store all the kid’s ****. I think it turned out pretty well. Roughly 900 bucks after the concrete, motor buggy and forms which isn’t bad. No idea what someone would have charge to do it otherwise. The most shocking part was the 2x4x16s for the forms were 20 bucks a piece.

Next step is the fence and deck.

Anybody know what menards charges to deliver? Trying to decide if rounding up a trailer is worth it. The ones I have direct access to have sides or are enclosed, so loading pallets isn’t it the cards. I can get a flatbed from work if needed probably. I can get a dump trailer for the old fence.

Here’s the pad.

View attachment 98708

Talked to a concrete guy a few months ago as we were looking to pour the same size pad for a hot tub and I believe he was quoting around 3k.

My next project is a pergola and shed. Looking forward to both!

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Already done. ;) we wouldn’t have gone there without it. It’s crazy how many people don’t know that exists.

Wow... Not an avid HD guy, but had no idea this existed at all. Thank you for bringing to attention. Menards you can't go one aisle without seeing the 11% sign.

Totally going back a few months on this one, but had to catch up from my last read.

Reactions: AgronAlum

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Wow... Not an avid HD guy, but had no idea this existed at all. Thank you for bringing to attention. Menards you can't go one aisle without seeing the 11% sign.

I’ve been going to HD a lot lately. The Ankeny menards is just annoyingly busy. The wood products have seemed to be much better at HD lately too. That being said, they don’t have everything because there’s nothing outside.

• Agree
Reactions: clone4life82

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Talked to a concrete guy a few months ago as we were looking to pour the same size pad for a hot tub and I believe he was quoting around 3k.

My next project is a pergola and shed. Looking forward to both!

I think ours was around 800 to pour it myself but probably add another 2-300 bucks in concrete for a thicker pad because of the hot tub. I’m assuming they quoted a 6 inch slab? I think that’s pretty reasonable to not screw with it.

Help Support Us

Become a patron