Williams: Monday Musings - March 28, 2011

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Good stuff Chris. The only thing I disagree with is that Matt Painter is "paid well". He's making $1.3 million. If Tony Barbee is getting $1.6 million at Auburn, then Painter deserves much more. He has Purdue in the top 2-3 in the Big 10 and should be making much more than $1.3 mil.

ARSON

Apr 9, 2006
A LOT on my mind today regarding recruiting, NCAA Tournament, CBB coaching, President Geoffroy & more. Enjoy

Chris Williams' Monday Musings @ CycloneFanatic.com - March 28, 2011 Edition | Cyclone Fanatic

AGree on Harrison except if there is a lockout then that would suck!

I think most would like VCU to win Chris but I wonder how a full week off will have on them? I mean they have been on a short week roll with the limited number of days off for both them and others to learn about them.
NOw a full week off.
Will it bring them down enough that they cannot get their engines to rev up where they were?
Does the extra 4 days of prep by their opponent to get ready make a diff?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
So...you went to visit your wife...and didn't shave? Hel-lo?

I'm hoping the NBA changes to one-and-done rule with the next CBA. Not really doing either the college or the pro game any good.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Good stuff Chris. The only thing I disagree with is that Matt Painter is "paid well". He's making $1.3 million. If Tony Barbee is getting $1.6 million at Auburn, then Painter deserves much more. He has Purdue in the top 2-3 in the Big 10 and should be making much more than $1.3 mil.

You're probably right on the money scale. They probably should pay him more. But $1.3 mil at your (dream job/alma-mater) seems pretty decent to me.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
AGree on Harrison except if there is a lockout then that would suck!

I think most would like VCU to win Chris but I wonder how a full week off will have on them? I mean they have been on a short week roll with the limited number of days off for both them and others to learn about them.
NOw a full week off.
Will it bring them down enough that they cannot get their engines to rev up where they were?
Does the extra 4 days of prep by their opponent to get ready make a diff?

I think that a lockout gives HB even more of a reason to go. After the lockout, the rookie wage scale is guaranteed to go down. If he goes pro this year, he's a guaranteed top 5 pick who is guaranteed to make at least 7 mil.

As Ricky Bobby would say, "MAKE THAT MONEY."

You could be right about VCU/Butler. I'm sticking with the hot team though.

For the record, I think that if either mid-major is going to win the championship game, Butler would have the better chance.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
What are the chances of a work stoppage in the NBA this fall? Sounds pretty likely from what I hear on the radio these days, everyone makes it sound like this NFL negotiation is peanuts compared to what the NBA will go through. Doesn't sound like a great scenario to be walking into for Barnes.

If there was a CBA in place, and no threat of a work stoppage, then I'd agree that Barnes should go pro and not think twice about it. If the threat of a lockout is very likely this year, I think he has to come back. The consolation to not being a pro is that UNC will be the prohibitive favorite to win it all next year, I'm guessing. So he's got that going for him, which is nice.

Last edited:

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
What are the chances of a work stoppage in the NBA this fall? Sounds pretty likely from what I hear on the radio these days, everyone makes it sound like this NBA negotiation is peanuts compared to what the NBA will go through. Doesn't sound like a great scenario to be walking into for Barnes.

If there was a CBA in place, and no threat of a work stoppage, then I'd agree that Barnes should go pro and not think twice about it. If the threat of a lockout is very likely this year, I think he has to come back. The consolation to not being a pro is that UNC will be the prohibitive favorite to win it all next year, I'm guessing. So he's got that going for him, which is nice.

Even if there is a work stoppage, he's still going to get paid though. An agent will take care of a guy like him. He'd be able to train with the best in the biz and still develop his game.

Go back to college and win a national title...That'd be outstanding. But in today's day in age, what are the chances that actually happens? What if he gets hurt?

He can always go back to school and get his degree. That and the fact that he'd be a top 5 pick are guaranteed.

After that, there are no guarantees.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Even if there is a work stoppage, he's still going to get paid though. An agent will take care of a guy like him. He'd be able to train with the best in the biz and still develop his game.

Go back to college and win a national title...That'd be outstanding. But in today's day in age, what are the chances that actually happens? What if he gets hurt?

He can always go back to school and get his degree. That and the fact that he'd be a top 5 pick are guaranteed.

After that, there are no guarantees.

I think the threat of a player suffering a career ending injury is much ado about nothing. Look at Sam Bradford, everyone said he was a fool for coming back because he got hurt. Looks like he's done OK for himself. In fact, I can't think of a single scenario where a player said he was going back to school, got hurt, and never played again. I'm sure several CF'ers will jump on that, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.