Enjoy!

Reactions: Marcelason78

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
$300k isn't life changing money?!

I get what CW's point is, but he's confusing "life-changing" with being wealthy.
More often than not when I hear someone use the phrase "life-changing money" they're talking about something closer to generational wealth.

It might be technically incorrect to say it isn't life changing, but it's basically how I hear it used.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
More often than not when I hear someone use the phrase "life-changing money" they're talking about something closer to generational wealth.

It might be technically incorrect to say it isn't life changing, but it's basically how I hear it used.
Sure, but they were talking about the wisdom of giving up $300k in return for less cash, stability, starting spot, etc.

Every situation is different, but I'm not sure I'd advise someone to pass up $300k. I know CW was speaking off the cuff, and it's difficult to know the difference in what ISU has to offer.

It struck me as presumptuous and a little privileged.

I agree with the sentiment that if you have a path to the NFL like McDonald, Tampa, Cooper, and Brahmer, you should think twice about rocking the boat.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Sure, but they were talking about the wisdom of giving up $300k in return for less cash, stability, starting spot, etc.

Every situation is different, but I'm not sure I'd advise someone to pass up $300k. I know CW was speaking off the cuff, and it's difficult to know the difference in what ISU has to offer.

I agree with the sentiment that if you have a path to the NFL like McDonald, Tampa, Cooper, and Brahmer, you should think twice about rocking the boat.

Likely that someone fetching $300k would likely get a decent NIL that would be smaller but still be decent enough. Ultimate goal is NFL most likely. Transfer and a player can mess his development up. Can’t see anyone overpaying for backups. They just want playing time.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Likely that someone fetching $300k would likely get a decent NIL that would be smaller but still be decent enough. Ultimate goal is NFL most likely. Transfer and a player can mess his development up. Can’t see anyone overpaying for backups. They just want playing time.
But that's the difference between our NIL and the big boys. They will overpay for depth guys who have a shot at starting. And for the player, $300k could be worth the risk of not seeing the field.

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines

lol, most jobs these days with a college degree you’d make at least 200k total in 4 years.
I say 200 k because we’d probably get them 100k to stay with the team. It’s not pompous or privileged to say that.

You can look at average starting salaries graduating from ISU & see how many years it would take you to pull in 300k.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: RealisticCy

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
lol, most jobs these days with a college degree you’d make at least 200k in 4 years.
I say 200 k because we’d probably get them 100k to stay with the team. It’s not pompous or privileged to say that.

You can look at average starting salaries graduating from ISU & see how many years it would take you to pull in 300k.
What jobs are making 200k after 4 years?

Reactions: Hoggins

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
lol, most jobs these days with a college degree you’d make at least 200k in 4 years.

Are you saying making that much total in 4 years?

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
Are you saying making that much total in 4 years?
Yes that’s what Cyde clarified for everyone here.
Most teachers (who many, including myself, think are underpaid) make that much in 4-5 years.

Also you have to remember these are all pretax numbers. If a kid gets offered 300k he’s only taking home 160k of it. IMG_3009.jpeg

Last edited:

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
Blum better be careful when saying that the coaches have great relationships with everyone on We Will’s board.

I know he’s doing things the right way, but I also know that there’s nothing the NCAA would like more than to investigate ISU so that they don’t have to go after Ohio State/Alabama.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Blum better be careful when saying that the coaches have great relationships with everyone on We Will’s board.

I know he’s doing things the right way, but I also know that there’s nothing the NCAA would like more than to investigate ISU so that they don’t have to go after Ohio State/Alabama.
The coaches help make connections and are allowed to fundraise for us. They will all be at our February signing day event. We couldn’t have success without their help. Simple as that.

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009

Do you really think you know the rules better than Blum? Much less the NCAA listening to this podcast trying to catch Iowa State? Lol