ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
With Texas and Oklahoma expected to formally announce their intentions to leave the Big 12 Conference on Monday, the next week is going to be quite insane when it comes to realignment news and rumors (a lot of these, folks, so please, do yourself a favor and not believe EVERYTHING you read on Twitter). 

Knowing that, I wanted to do the best that I can to get out in front of things and hash out a few topics that I’ve seen floating around on social media and the forum regarding Iowa State’s future. 

Some FAQs, and my best attempt to answer them: 

Regarding a potential invitation to the Big Ten for Iowa State. How realistic is it? Does the Big Ten need to expand and if so, what makes Iowa State a quality candidate?

In any previous era, no, the Big Ten would not NEED to expand just as a reaction to the SEC. But 10 years ago, conference realignment only occurred because of media contracts and money. 

Stressing this: I do not know that I am correct in...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Timeframe is paramount for success. You alluded to the 'power' push. If one of your scenarios is true (ie the one courting other P5 power players), this has been going on back channels for much longer than anyone seems to have known. If, on the other hand, only TX and OK were the dominos play, then this will be a threat to the remaining P5s every year until the new world order is established. But, to be established, they still need eyeballs.
Question for you: How many teams do you feel need to be in the new world order, to succeed? I, personally, feel anything short of 64 will have a counter effect which will leave the SEC much weaker.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
The Big Ten is about wanting to stay relevant. But they also have retain a brand for their own, I just don't see OH State and Michigan leaving for a southern super league. It would actually make them LESS relevant in my eyes. This is because more people will tune in to a Penn State / Mich matchup or a Penn State Ohio State matchup than say.... Oh State versus ole miss, vandy, arkansas, or the other non factor teams in that league.

The southern league going to a model to add more midwest teams like Big Blue and Buckeye would be like a luxurious steakhouse adding an extra 20 steak options to their menu, it is dillutive.

The Big Ten I think would care about their midwest brand and appeal. It still matters and the sport of college football does not revolve around the south. It includes the south but it is not defined by the south. Just my 2 cents.

Jamie and the powers that be are hopefully lobbying the s&^% out of big ten people. We need him to pull one more rabbit out of the hat and ISU athletics is on solid footing for the long term.

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
If you're Vandy, SC, Arkansas, or the MS schools...don't you start getting a little nervous about your standing in a 'super conference'

It's been said the SEC has the ability to vote out schools...they aren't gonna create a super conference where blue bloods are outside looking in and Vandy's at the table.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
The idea that a "super league" would succeed is insane. The allure of college football is in it's regionality. Everyone has a team to pull for that is part of the larger whole. Take that away. and most people wouldn't give a **** about it.
Bingo.

A super league based in the Southeast/ Eastern Midwest becomes nationally irrelevant. That’s going to kill revenue.

People are still going to root for their home-state school. People are still going to root for their alma mater. They aren’t suddenly going to give two ***** about an NFL-lite team. Every league that’s tried to be an NFL alternate has failed because it doesn’t offer the quality of the NFL or the personal connection of a college team.

A 66 (P5 + ND & BYU) team super league would be wildly successful. A 20 team super league would be a massive failure. Everything in between would be a sliding scale.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
If you're Vandy, SC, Arkansas, or the MS schools...don't you start getting a little nervous about your standing in a 'super conference'

It's been said the SEC has the ability to vote out schools...they aren't gonna create a super conference where blue bloods are outside looking in and Vandy's at the table.
I replied with this same sentiment a few days ago on Twitter and im still getting lit up from fans of those schools and how baseball matters in realignment!

Reactions: xr4ticlone

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I replied with this same sentiment a few days ago on Twitter and im still getting lit up from fans of those schools and how baseball matters in realignment!
For the SEC and its viewers, baseball does matter. When a media company is paying a huge pile of money to a conference, they need content that people will watch, and baseball is the primary content that SEC viewers are going to watch in the spring. A good number of them will watch college baseball before college basketball.

Baseball might not be relevant for a Big Ten expansion, but it is relevant for the SEC. "Northerners" often don't get how big of a deal college baseball is in the south and southeast...until you see it for yourself.

Last edited:

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
Does the Big12 cease to exist if 4 schools leave? if so, would Tx offer $ or other compensation to the Big10 to take KU and ISU thus removing the GOR?

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
another thread featured an insightful quantitative analysis about what the B1G would need in expansion candidates:
  1. Ability to increase per school allotment to keep up with the $EC
  2. Ability to consistently make the expanded play off b/c payouts for this games are going to be huge
Read more here: https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/who-is-in-the-big-cyclone-camp.264401/post-7822484

To achieve the first goal, the B1G would need to reel in some big fish (ND, Clemson, etc), ISU probably does not help much with the first goal. But, w/CMC at the helm, could certainly help with the second.

Given the above, the questions in my mind are
  • Does the B1G work on the goals above in sequence or in parallel?
  • If they go in sequence, how long does it take to work out the existing contracts, buyouts for other, big name brands?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron