• I'm 50-50

Votes: 50 26.5%

• Total voters

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I also read the Palm prediction column that followed what you linked. In it he says that Iowa didn't belong in the CFP ranking last week (agree) but they do now after "knocking off" Nebraska 26-20. (WTF?!) How does beating a .200 team suddenly make a team top 25 worthy? And how does beating a cellar dweller that you are favored to beat qualify as "knocking off"?
I think he needs to spend less time “knocking off” in his office and pay attention to reality.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The best post I saw on a Texas board: I remember saying when we hired Herman, "I hope by year 4 that we are neck and neck with Iowa State!"

The best part is that since 2017, you can't really say that Texas has been that much better than Iowa State. As we all know, we definitely have more conference wins.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I also read the Palm prediction column that followed what you linked. In it he says that Iowa didn't belong in the CFP ranking last week (agree) but they do now after "knocking off" Nebraska 26-20. (WTF?!) How does beating a .200 team suddenly make a team top 25 worthy? And how does beating a cellar dweller that you are favored to beat qualify as "knocking off"?
These old writers go off who they think should be could and go with that. Still living in the 1900s.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
He is just not a great coach. I don't see how he makes it. He makes some really bad coaching decisions, probably because he is too arrogant.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
You mean like having a chance to kill time while winning and instead throwing two incomplete passes and giving the opponent 3 minutes to put together a game winning drive?
Exactly. And going for it on 4th down instead kicking a FG to put them up by a touchdown. He wasn't content with just eking out a win, he thinks that they are mighty Texas and therefore should win the game by more.

Reactions: agentbear

Lyon309Cy

Sep 5, 2010
Arrogance seems to be the word most often used to describe Herman. Can anyone think of a better adjective to describe Texas in general? He's a perfect culture fit for them, the fans just don't want to see it.
They're in danger of becoming Michigan or Nebraska before them. Where winning 9 games gets you fired after 3-4 years because you can't beat your rival and you won't 'accept mediocre'. And that constant turnover leads to insecurity which leads to lots of short term patches rather than fixing the broken culture. It sets the new coach up to fail from the start.
Tom seems shallow and all about the flash, another way he fits Texas. He's probably not the one to fix the culture, but whatever direction they go they need to commit more than 3 years to it before getting restless.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Reading Texas chatter it seems Urban is willing but only if he can convince the right staff to gather in Austin. Money doesn't seem to be an issue, nor his health. It's down to him getting commitments from the right assistants for Meyer to pull the trigger.

This would be a huge 'get' for the B12 if it happens. And I hope it does.

• Informative
Reactions: Sigmapolis

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Reading Texas chatter it seems Urban is willing but only if he can convince the right staff to gather in Austin. Money doesn't seem to be an issue, nor his health. It's down to him getting commitments from the right assistants for Meyer to pull the trigger.

This would be a huge 'get' for the B12 if it happens. And I hope it does.

I'm surprised his health wouldn't be considered an issue. He's left his last two jobs because of health.

• Agree
Reactions: surly