Will the U of Texas Invest in the Future Prosperity of the Big 12 conference?

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
The Big 12 conference is a feudal organization/society. The way in which these societies are supposed to work is the subjects give to the master, and the master protects and, when necessary for the good of the fiefdom, provides for his subjects. The University of Texas is the lord and master of the Big 12 conference. The other nine members primarily work for its benefit. Unfortunately, UT is seen by most to have taken the role of "Robber Baron"; taxing his subjects without dispensing any benefit back to them. UT owns all the facilities, hired all the coaches, and recruits all the players it needs to be the best collegiate athletic program in the nation. The extra cash the new deal provides to them cannot have any additional tangible benefit to that athletic department. UT is well past the "point of diminishing returns" in revenue.

The Big 12 administration, on the other hand, has created a reserve fund using the exit penalty funds levied against the universities of Nebraska and Colorado to be distributed to the five schools in the most vulnerable collective position if the conference dissolved. This fund is to be used by current members whose athletic budgets are in crisis now, or in the future. This kind of concern for the conference's future should not go unnoticed by the UT. Indeed, this sort of investment should not be only copied, but amplified by Texas. This show of concern, IMO, would greatly improve the university's image to the public at large as the benefactor for the conference versus its image as the "greedy institution" it owns today. If the UT wants to rule a fiefdom, it should do so as a responsible, beneficent lord, not as a "Robber Baron."

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless
448965221_acd7a473e9.jpg

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA

Listen, feudalism is not dead. Just look at the way governments are run in Central and South America. Whenever a group of people must swear fealty to a de facto ruler/governor, then you have what in essence is a feudal state. There does not need to be crowned kings, princes, or dukes, just somebody who, by their power, controls a group or geographic region. That behavior describes the University of Texas perfectly in regards to the Big 12 Conference IMO. The UT is rules the Big 12 as a despot to which the other schools must show allegiance.

Last edited:

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
I bet back in the day you played with foam covered PVC swords on central campus, didn't you? Not that there's anything wrong with that...

...but yes, that is one way to put it.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
Every institution, like individuals, always should act in its own best interest. Conferences, by their being, suggest that most schools think their long term interest is best served by acting in concert. Yes, UT is better off with a healthy conference and I think they know that.

cybirdie

May 25, 2006
I bet back in the day you played with foam covered PVC swords on central campus, didn't you? Not that there's anything wrong with that...

...but yes, that is one way to put it.

hey watch it, I idolized those guys when I was a kid haha

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron