Will Scott Drew be back next year?

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
If they let him go, they would come to regret it. The next coach might do well with Drew's guys (hell, everyone but Drew would do better) but the talent would dry up. And then they are TCU.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
I hope so. He gets the talent to be a top 10 team, then he's terrible at coaching them so we basically get an easyish win or two over a "top 10 type" team each season. Hand that guy the Lickliter lifetime contract.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
The question is how much he has to do with the players Baylor is getting.

Baylor says it's because all these players want to go to a religious school so any coach should be able to get them there as long as Baylor stays religious. (elephant in the room is that they're not that rare being a religious college)

Most other fans assume it's because the program cheats so it's a question of if the cheating pipeline would continue.

The difference being that they are a BAPTIST University, which plays well to all those sweet Southern Baptist mommas in the South where Drew pulls the vast majority of his recruits.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
I hope so. He gets the talent to be a top 10 team, then he's terrible at coaching them so we basically get an easyish win or two over a "top 10 type" team each season. Hand that guy the Lickliter lifetime contract.

Agreed. No one does less with more than Drew. He is one of the worst game day coaches in the game. The person that needs to be fired at Baylor is their Strength & Conditioning coach. I have never seen so many scrawny basketball players in my life. Get those boys in a gym and lift some weights for peke's sake!

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
I'm guessing that if they fired SD, he could send that program back to the abyss with the knowledge of what he's done there. Might ruin the rest of the his career, but would he really have the opportunity to go anywhere else that would pay both him and the players to go there?

I guess if the UK job was open.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
He deserves a lot of credit for those elite 8 appearances, but they beat no one better than a 10 seed to get to both of those elite 8's. Let's not pretend that he had to beat top 25 teams to get there.

Fair enough, but then we're getting into asterisk territory.

KU got to the Final Four in 2011 beating 16, 9, 12 and 11 seeds. Same thing for Michigan State in 2001. For a couple random examples.

MIClone

Aug 31, 2011
Central Michigan
As long as he continues to bring in blue chip players, Drew will keep his job. That then that becomes the real question: How long will highly recruited players actually continue to decide to go to Baylor? I'm not sure why you would.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
Baylor had a couple great years over the last 4. Eustacy had a couple great years at isu followed by real garbage and he was still loved by many all the way up to his public ousting.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Then again, the same thing could be said for a number of ISU coaches - Dan McCarney, Larry Eustachy (granted, more than "disappointment" factored in here), Wayne Morgan, and Greg McDermott (had he stuck around long enough). Should we not have moved on from any of them?

The "he brought us into relevance" argument only works for so long. Eventually people start expecting greater results, even at places like Baylor.

Only McCarney in a somewhat comparable position. All the BBall coaches were post Johnny. Our expectations in BBall have been higher than baylor had and certainly Eustachy morgan &mcd no were near. Larry won, Morgan & McD flopped compared to predecessors. .

Last edited:

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
He isn't going anywhere. If Baylor gets rid of him, they are fools. Drew is the only reason they are good enough to disappoint. Before he got there everyone simply expected to lose.

THIS. You can not separate recruting and in game coaching when judging the total package. While he may not be a great "coach", his recruiting is helping to get Baylor farther than any coach outside Calipari could. When you are dealing with a bunch of one and dones or two and dones it isn't easy. You have to get those guys to buy in to the system and buy in quick. Baylor has two elite eights in the last what, five years? If I am Baylor I give the man a contract extension.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
THIS. You can not separate recruting and in game coaching when judging the total package. While he may not be a great "coach", his recruiting is helping to get Baylor farther than any coach outside Calipari could. When you are dealing with a bunch of one and dones or two and dones it isn't easy. You have to get those guys to buy in to the system and buy in quick. Baylor has two elite eights in the last what, five years? If I am Baylor I give the man a contract extension.
Plus, coaches do actually get better over time. Bill Self is a much better coach now than he was 10 years ago. Drew still stinks at in-game coaching but at least he is able to land good recruits to try to get better with. As many have stated, I am OK with him stayi8ng forever. He always gets his teams into the rankings in non-con so it looks good when Kansas beats them.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Is this a serious question? Drew was handed the doormat of the Big 12 (even before a player murdered his teammate) and within a few years had the program outperforming many of college basketball's blue blood elites.

You can't separate coaching and recruiting, and Drew is arguably the best recruiter in the game. His tactics might rankle other coaches and border on unethical, but nobody can argue with the results. He's not going anywhere.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale

Not saying that I wouldn't love to go to the Elite Eight under similar circumstances, but both times they went to the Elite Eight, they didn't even beat one single-digit seed to get there.

In 2010 - they beat #14 Sam Houston State, #11 Old Dominion, #10 St. Mary's, before losing to #1 Duke
In 2012 - they beat #14 South Dakota State, #11 Colorado, #10 Xavier, before losing to #1 Kentucky

They were the #3 seed both times, and they avoided the #6 and either #2/#7 seeds both times.

I thought this year that they had maybe turned the corner, beating Kentucky and playing Syracuse close. But they are back to being Baylor again (1-5 in conference so far). They are wildly inconsistent.

Having said all of that, Fred owns Scott Drew, so in my opinion, he can stay there as long as he wants. They are really going to take a step back next year in my opinion. They lose Austin (I'm assuming), Jefferson, Heslip, and Franklin, and IMO their recruiting is really starting to drop off from what they've been used to. If they're underachieving with their current talent, I don't see how they get any better with less talent. They could prove me wrong, who knows. We'll see.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Not saying that I wouldn't love to go to the Elite Eight under similar circumstances, but both times they went to the Elite Eight, they didn't even beat one single-digit seed to get there.

In 2010 - they beat #14 Sam Houston State, #11 Old Dominion, #10 St. Mary's, before losing to #1 Duke
In 2012 - they beat #14 South Dakota State, #11 Colorado, #10 Xavier, before losing to #1 Kentucky

They were the #3 seed both times, and they avoided the #6 and either #2/#7 seeds both times.

I thought this year that they had maybe turned the corner, beating Kentucky and playing Syracuse close. But they are back to being Baylor again (1-5 in conference so far). They are wildly inconsistent.

Having said all of that, Fred owns Scott Drew, so in my opinion, he can stay there as long as he wants. They are really going to take a step back next year in my opinion. They lose Austin (I'm assuming), Jefferson, Heslip, and Franklin, and IMO their recruiting is really starting to drop off from what they've been used to. If they're underachieving with their current talent, I don't see how they get any better with less talent. They could prove me wrong, who knows. We'll see.

good post. I'll be curious to see where their recruiting is if they go two straight years without making the NCAA tournament.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
good post. I'll be curious to see where their recruiting is if they go two straight years without making the NCAA tournament.

They had at least one 5-star recruit for three straight years.

2009 - Cory Jefferson (4*)
2010 - Perry Jones (5*), Gary Franklin (4*)
2011 - Quincy Miller (5*)
2012 - Isaiah Austin (5*), Rico Gathers (4*)
2013 - Ishmail Wainright (4*), Allerik Freeman (4*)
2014 (so far) - Damiyne Durham (3*), T.J. Maston (3*)

They missed out on all of their top 2014 guys and have only a few 3* guys left that are considering them.
College Basketball Recruiting Schools - ESPN

Of those 5-star recruits, Perry Jones went 28th overall, Quincy Miller went 38th overall, and Isaiah Austin is currently projected 46th by NBADraft.net. Cory Jefferson also projected 42nd overall. The only lottery pick they've had was Ekpe Udoh at 6th overall in 2010, who transferred from Michigan and played 1 season at Baylor.

It just seems like maybe they aren't very good at developing talent.

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It just seems like maybe they aren't very good at developing talent.

You mean we are allowed to make the players better???
350x-4.jpg