Will Covid reduce or eliminate fans even more at our remaining home games.

83cy

May 14, 2006
Most people don't have the luxury of isolating for 10 days everytime they leave the house. Again, do you isolate for 10 days after your grocery store visits?

Reactions: CycloneJL

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Yep just dumb luck by Pollard and staff on having very low covid cases in the athletic department.
I does show that the results can be impacted by behavior. Kudos to our players and coaches. Unlike many of their fans, they are taking this seriously.
Jamie stumbled a little out of the shoot (not enforcing masks), and with the CY Stephans fiasco, but he ended up in about the best place possible. The situation has turned markedly worse, as predicted, and the plan need to be revisited. I say go to parents and family only.

JDDDCy

Dec 20, 2017
I have been to 2 games and honestly have felt safer than a stop to a local convenience store or to get groceries. I have been really surprised at how well some of the drunks in our area have been behaved. You could easily go to the game and not get within 6 feet of someone at any point.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I have been to 2 games and honestly have felt safer than a stop to a local convenience store or to get groceries. I have been really surprised at how well some of the drunks in our area have been behaved. You could easily go to the game and not get within 6 feet of someone at any point.

My thoughts exactly. I had to miss the 1st game by choice because I was playing it safe after my 3 year old had troubles sleeping Friday night and after she had slept 2 hours on me in the recliner she woke up and proceeded to throw up a few minutes later so I did the right thing and stayed home out of precaution not knowing what my kid might of had. The frustrating thing was after she went back to sleep for another hour or so after throwing up she was perfecting fine the rest of the weekend and you would have never known she looked like she was feeling miserable to start off Saturday morning.

Anyways I have been very impressed with fan compliance in the 2 games I have been to and being outdoors and where mask wearing has been better than what you see going into any random store the risk of attending the game is far less than going to the store IMO. People will freak out because up to 15k sounds like a big number but in reality when you see it in person it feels like very little and people have been respectful of each other for the most part. We haven't seen any evidence that our games are a super spreader either so I think ISU has been a big success story so far both with the athletic department not having these big outbreaks with their athletes like some have but also our fans for being awesome and complying with protocols so we can give those players some fans and some kind of home field advantage.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

200.gif

• Haha
Reactions: quasistellar

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I does show that the results can be impacted by behavior. Kudos to our players and coaches. Unlike many of their fans, they are taking this seriously.
Jamie stumbled a little out of the shoot (not enforcing masks), and with the CY Stephans fiasco, but he ended up in about the best place possible. The situation has turned markedly worse, as predicted, and the plan need to be revisited. I say go to parents and family only.
Agree with your first paragraph. I wish my social groups understood to do all we can do to prevent the spread. But that's a whole other discussion.

I just don't understand the disapproval of ISU, namely JP. I don't know JP, but am good friends with a couple that are very close to him. JP is doing a tremendous job I believe, but he is dealing with gov't, and University politics that are out of his control. I'm not sure how some people think you can run a multi-million dollar business without revenue. People, maybe you, think he should lock down all sports and don't make cuts. That just can't happen. So how do people really think this should all be done without bankrupting our athletic department? He's made salary cuts, he's let people go, he's fought for any revenue that he can, and our program is way healthier than the average in a state where we are less healthy than the average.

Not sure what the CY Stephens fiasco is that you're talking about. It didn't close, you can still buy tickets. Have you bought tickets or donated to it? He said that it would be one thing to close if we have to shut down other programs under his management, but not that it was imminent. Maybe you and others are professors and the way he called them out ruffled your feathers, and I get that. But fiasco is an interesting choice of word.

Another friend of mine had his wife's catering company deliver food during camp for the football team. He said that his wife was amazed at the bubble the team was under. Which was put in place by this AD staff and ISU coaches. It's not a fluke that our numbers have been better than average. And others are correct in stating we may have been lucky so far as other teams have been unlucky. But as we agreed on the first paragraph, doing what you can minimizes the risk/spread.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Agree with your first paragraph. I wish my social groups understood to do all we can do to prevent the spread. But that's a whole other discussion.

I just don't understand the disapproval of ISU, namely JP. I don't know JP, but am good friends with a couple that are very close to him. JP is doing a tremendous job I believe, but he is dealing with gov't, and University politics that are out of his control. I'm not sure how some people think you can run a multi-million dollar business without revenue. People, maybe you, think he should lock down all sports and don't make cuts. That just can't happen. So how do people really think this should all be done without bankrupting our athletic department? He's made salary cuts, he's let people go, he's fought for any revenue that he can, and our program is way healthier than the average in a state where we are less healthy than the average.

Not sure what the CY Stephens fiasco is that you're talking about. It didn't close, you can still buy tickets. Have you bought tickets or donated to it? He said that it would be one thing to close if we have to shut down other programs under his management, but not that it was imminent. Maybe you and others are professors and the way he called them out ruffled your feathers, and I get that. But fiasco is an interesting choice of word.

Another friend of mine had his wife's catering company deliver food during camp for the football team. He said that his wife was amazed at the bubble the team was under. Which was put in place by this AD staff and ISU coaches. It's not a fluke that our numbers have been better than average. And others are correct in stating we may have been lucky so far as other teams have been unlucky. But as we agreed on the first paragraph, doing what you can minimizes the risk/spread.
I know JP quite well. I said he stumbled early, but got us to a good place. Originally, he said he would not enforce the wearing of masks. I felt that was wrong and said so. He reversed course (nothing to do with me). Good for him. It was never that hard to do.

I think the CYS thing was handled extremely badly. I am not a professor, nor a member of the Ames community. I do know a lot of people who were very upset over his comments. I thought they were unnecessary, inflammatory and inappropriate. I think he burned some bridges that could have been left standing.
He came across as a kid who says - you break my toy and I will break yours. IMO, he could have simply said - future events at CYS will cancelled do to CV. During this time we will evaluate the ongoing financial situation of the facility. I know many people who feel like he was just trying to “get even.”
I like JP. I think he is an outstanding AD. He has been very good to me. You will never bat 100%, especially when your job is critiqued by tens of thousands.
As far as I can tell, I think ISU sports are doing a great job with CV. I led with that.
Just trying to explain my thoughts, since you asked.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Personally I didn't feel it was necessary to keep fans out, but I understand so no complaints from me.
I wasn't going this week anyway due to the rain. Hopefully, things get better - so we can go to the WVU Game and celebrate sending the boys off to the Big Xii Championship Game!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Personally I didn't feel it was necessary to keep fans out, but I understand so no complaints from me.

Yeah, i've definitely been on the side of err on the side of caution, but I actually thought we were handling it quite well and would not have had an issue with them continuing as prior. But hard to blame them for making this call with what things are like right now.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10