Why this team will not make the NCAA tournament

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
You can always hear McD screaming "move!" I dont know what is going on. Its frustrating. I hope it changes when B12 starts.

I noticed this during the Clone Zone games mostly with Lucca..not "move!" but every single game on Clone Zone, GMac said to Lucca at least 5 times "PRESSURE LUCCA! PRESSURE!!" and then all of a sudden he'd be swarming on defense.

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
Exactly. This is what I was trying to say last night and people just said, "we won by 30+! who cares!" If you (not you, but the general public) really think GMac was thinking after last night's game, "We won by 30, we have almost nothing in the world to worry about because we won by 30," then you are completely blind.

Actually, listen to interviews of most big time coaches. It's amazing how much they focus on the "negatives." You will be hard pressed to find many times where they actually admit the team played awesome the entire game (although yes, it does happen). The reason is because these coaches know to get better, you have to focus on the negatives while being optimistic about it.

Some of you may think it's negative, but to me...someone who will say "Great job, but you need to do this better and I KNOW you can do it better" is one of the best things you can have granted they can effectively teach. If I didn't have teachers like that throughout my life telling me "Great job, but you need to do this better and I know you can," I really don't think I'd be where I am today.

To succeed at anything tough like the game of basketball, you have to be negatively optimistic or else you're going to think you're always good at every single aspect of everything, which is not true of anyone (some more than others, but nobody is 100% at every single aspect of basketball).

About this team. Almost all of our "mistakes" are correctable and the talent is definitely there (contrary to what some of you guys think).

Nice.....good views.. no great views

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Interesting thread. Two comments:

1) Free Throw shooting has become a little bit of a lost art. I do think that fewer kids (especially the athletic ones that colleges recruit) work on this aspect of their game than ever before, in large part, because FT shooting will not get you on the SportsCenter highlights (or whatever highlight show you have in your local area for HS players). Also, there are plenty of examples of great players that really sucked at FTs (Shaq comes immediately to mind). At any rate, most kids just do not place a great value on this aspect of their games anymore so it is not given the attention that maybe it should be given.

2) I think a lot of people on this site are enamored of three point shooting. However, the best teams work their offense inside first and then outside. The great teams and the ones that make deep runs in the tournament are the ones that can get easy buckets in the paint and not the ones that have to rely on taking (and making) a lot of threes as their primary offense.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
I think a lot of people on this site are enamored of three point shooting. However, the best teams work their offense inside first and then outside. The great teams and the ones that make deep runs in the tournament are the ones that can get easy buckets in the paint and not the ones that have to rely on taking (and making) a lot of threes as their primary offense.

EXACTLY. Three point shooting is the receiving game of basketball.

In Football, if you establish a good running game, it opens up the passing game because now you have two threats. The other team isn't going to know what's coming sometimes. Line up all your players in the box? Okay, I'll just pass it because I can.

In Basketball, if you establish an inside game first, you can then afford to kick it out when your players are being double teamed. Look at any great team whether it's UNC or UCLA when they are good. They usually have 2-3 players who are able to get inside and score, and 3 guys (there's an intersection) that can score on mid-range jumpers or three pointers. Most of these teams are not running up the court and shooting without setting up an offense (and of course it happens, but not as much).

Look at any mid major team with no inside presence. The reason why they can't consistently win is because they have no inside game. Yeah, if they shoot the three pointer well they'll be in ANY game, but that's their only game. The "no name" teams I expect to win come tournament time are usually the ones who are more than one-dimensional.

Also ask John Wooden what one of the most important aspects of the game is and he'll tell you it's rebounding (which yes is part of the inside game). If the other team misses 55% of their shots and you can grab at least 80% of those rebounds for yourself and you have a good inside scoring game..your shot of winning is very good

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
Thats fine, but at the college level you should already have this skill mostly ironed out. Its a basic. They have more pressing matters to focus on at this level dont you think?

The simple argument to "its a player problem" (and ill make it just for argurments sake) is to recruit better players then. If your players cant or wont perform at a level necessary to succeed in the Big 12, then better players need to be brought in. Either way it goes back to coaching.
I'm not saying this neccesarily applies to ISU, so dont attack me, but the simple argument to "its a player problem" is, get better players then. The buck ALWAYS stops with the coach.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
If you guys really think a team like TCU or Boise State in football is where they are today because they were getting 4 and 5 star recruits for the last decade, then I really don't know what to say to you.

Coaching plays a bigger factor in college sports than many of you might think.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
If ISU does not make NCAA -- look no further than Northwestern and UNI. Blew a nine point second half lead on a neutral court against NW. Blew a seven point second half lead at home against UNI.

This team was always a bubble team and those two losses may likely haunt us. We will need to find another conference win or two to make it up, and the Big 12 is looking pretty salty this year.

This program has lacked toughness for years. LE used to will his teams with mental and physical toughness. WM provided no toughness from the bench, but players like Stinson and Homan were warriors.

We don't get it from anywhere now and it shows.

Last edited:

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
The real reason for Free throw shooting and basketball in general has declined over the years.

And 1 Mix tape tour
Sportscenter

No, those aren't the reasons. If they are, they aren't direct. It would be people dumb enough to believe it's more important to do that. At least half of AND1's team played in division 1 and there's an NBA player in there.

The reason is people themselves. Anyone with decent common sense with good coaching would know what comes first.

Kobe Bryant, for example. Streetball player himself and he's even played in the Rucker League's tournament in NYC. In one interview he said "So fun, but coach would kill me if I tried some of this stuff on the court." See, he is intelligent enough to know you can't do it all the time in organized ball. It definitely helps your game (a lot of NBA guys were former streetballers), but to try and do something RIDICULOUS in a game? They are just the ones intelligent enough to try and not do it during a regular regulation rules game.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
What it comes down to is expectations. When you have a good team you expect them to play well every time they get on the court. That doesnt happen all the time and thats fine.

I blame it on X-mas though :jimlad: :jimlad:

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I an not certain if this team will make the NCAA or not. I personally think the NIT is much more likely.

I have been as critical of GMac this year as anyone. My criticism comes from what I have seen time and time again over the years, and the fact that even with the most talented team that he has had so far at ISU, some of those problems persist.

I do think that this team has made some progress in terms of defense this year, but then again, they really haven't played a lot of quality teams so far, so the jury is still kind of out on that one. So far to date though, steals are up, blocks are up, and opponent's shooting percentage is down. All good signs.

Rebounding is one area that makes me crazy. It is somewhat improved this year, mainly because of the addition of MG, but overall, it is no where near where it should be. People have to realize that often ISU's lineup is much bigger overall than the opponents. Yet, we have some players (Hamilton, JVB) who can't seem to rebound if their life depends on it. That is frustrating, especially when we supposedly have a "big man" coach.

Field goal percentage and 3 point shooting percentage is up this year markedly over past years. Again though, it is still early and it will be interesting to see what happens as the quality of the opposition improves and the season wears on the player's stamina.

Free throw shooting has never been a strong point of an ISU GMac-coached team, and this year it has gotten even worse. The lowest season-long percentage of a GMAC-coached ISU team prior to this year was 69.8 per cent in his first year. This year, it is at only 63.6 per cent. If that does not improve to at least above 70 per cent, it will definitely cost some games in the Big 12.

I hope this team can learn to be consistent and improve. Honestly though, I don't have a lot of faith in GMac as a coach. Why should I? He has been a .500 coach from day one. He has no signature wins. Since he has been here, not counting exhibitions, his teams have only been trailing or tied at halftime 10 times and won. In 3-plus years! On the other hand, ISU has been tied or held the lead 19 times at halftime, and ended up losing the game. To me, that is not encouraging.

GMac's teams lack a mental and physical toughness, IMO, and that will not get it done in the Big 12, or against better non-conference competition.

On another note......something else I have noticed is that slowly MG seems to be taking over leadership of this team. I think in the end that could be a good thing.

Reactions: cyclonenum1

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
It comes down to fundimentals of basketball - we all know of Jake Sullivan who was in the gym shooting when everyone was gone and studing for classes. He was there shooting and shooting...it paid off.

I bet if you go to the gym after practice...how many will still be there and practice shoot?

How is this a coaching problem then? Is Mac supposed to force people to stay after practice and shoot (he can't do that by the way)?

You said Mac isn't coaching them to their potential. What is he supposed to do if its only about fundamentals? Do you think Mac doesn't teach fundamentals?

clonin

Nov 16, 2009
Here
GMac is a good coach and he probably stresses the fundamentals in practice quite a bit. When you hear an interview with him, it is obvious that he understands the game at a very high level. We've all heard about his "hundreds" of set plays. Here's the problem:

Mac wants his teams to be smarter than other teams and know more plays, but when you have the type of talent we do, throw it out the window. That style worked great with the overachievers he had at UNI. A team with an all-american and this type of talent shouldn't need to spend practice learning 100's of plays and complex defensive schemes. They could use regular free throw practice. They need to learn about effort and discipline. MG and Boozer are the only two I have seen this year that have that "Eye of the Tiger" look when they play. MG knows this may be his one shot to get to the NBA, and he plays like a guy with everything on the line. The rest of the guys look like they are playing at the YMCA. Justin Hamilton has a body that college coach's covet, and believe it or not he has some ability, but maybe he is colorblind because he sure doesn't seem to mind guys in the other color jersey moving in and out of his lane however they want. Ham doesn't contribute and shouldn't be starting. If he plays I would just assume he foul out and send some 'message' fouls to the opponents.

I am not unhappy with the team's record at this point at all, it is about where I thought they would be. My concern is that I don't see a great deal of improvement from game 1 to now, and the upcoming schedule is going to be a real wake up call.

cjclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 22, 2006
chicken_little.jpg

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
How is this a coaching problem then? Is Mac supposed to force people to stay after practice and shoot (he can't do that by the way)?

You said Mac isn't coaching them to their potential. What is he supposed to do if its only about fundamentals? Do you think Mac doesn't teach fundamentals?

I don't think he is a "demanding coach" in terms of commitment and effort. Many coaches expect their squad to stay on campus during the summer for organized strength training/conditioning, team comraderie, and to work on weaknesses in their game. Fennelly does. So does our volleyball coach.
Gmac apparently doesn't. For example, is Lucca any better for traveling around with his German team? No, he's worse. His competition was way below what it would have been scrimmaging in Ames against his own teammates.
But Gmac is afraid to say "I want you here this summer. You need to improve."

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Sunshine people? This basketball fanbase has broken down into people that have legitimate understandable concerns for the team's long-term success, and people that don't seem to have the ability to make intelligent criticisms and instead choose to personally attack our student athletes and coaches.

Where in there are sunshine people?
I might be a sunshine person.:yes:

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
I don't think he is a "demanding coach" in terms of commitment and effort. Many coaches expect their squad to stay on campus during the summer for organized strength training/conditioning, team comraderie, and to work on weaknesses in their game. Fennelly does. So does our volleyball coach.
Gmac apparently doesn't. For example, is Lucca any better for traveling around with his German team? No, he's worse. His competition was way below what it would have been scrimmaging in Ames against his own teammates.
But Gmac is afraid to say "I want you here this summer. You need to improve."

Beat me to it....thanks

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Sunshine people those that are unable to accept any perceived negativity toward Cyclone athletics. "...legitimate understandable concerns for the team's long-term success," is perceived as negativity to these people. The only critisism they display is toward the other posters who have real concerns, and those who are actually in the business of personal attacks and negativity.
Maybe I'm not a sunshine person.:wideeyed:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron