Why Shouldn't Steve Prohm Lose His Job If We Get Annihilated By Iowa?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
IA's game tonight v. NC should be insightful. Have played horrendous teams so far this year so I am not ready to crown them yet. ISU does not have anyone that will slow down LG though so a loss is almost assured if he plays.

Just so we are clear, you don't exactly have to be good to beat us. Regardless of what they do against UNC I'd imagine they are 15+ point favorites.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
IA's game tonight v. NC should be insightful. Have played horrendous teams so far this year so I am not ready to crown them yet. ISU does not have anyone that will slow down LG though so a loss is almost assured if he plays.
Solo should just haul off and kick him square in the nuts. :jimlad:

Reactions: NWICY

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Remember when Fred would win at Carver-Hawkeye - this place would go nuts.
Now we're trying to "minimize" the game. Priceless.

I go nuts for any win in a season where we might do something. Do you want me to get pissed about one game in a season where we are likely to lose 15 more after it? Honestly I don't get this.

Quite frankly I won't be going nuts even if we win, because it doesn't appreciably change my outlook on the season.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Prohm has a lifetime contract. JP wasn’t even going to fire McDermott and Chiz before they left.

This is my concern. McDermott was struggling year after year, with talent, and he didn't get fired. It was making many of us question JP's judgment.

That said, let's give Prohm another year without all the negative posts like the OP's original post. I get the consternation, but stuff like this won't help and it will be demoralizing to the team / staff if any of them read the message board (and I believe some do). Let's just hope they can improve game-by-game. Maybe take the year off from basketball for your mental health? I haven't watched yet and I don't feel like I'm missing out.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
We've got a 50-50 shot at a Big 12 title in football... yet some people always gotta have something to ***** about.

I mean, they are two completely different sports coached by two completely different people. It's possible to be thrilled about football and less-than-thrilled about basketball. Not sure why success in football is cause to ignore our obvious struggles in basketball.

ISULibrarian

Apr 17, 2010
I mean, they are two completely different sports coached by two completely different people. It's possible to be thrilled about football and less-than-thrilled about basketball. Not sure why success in football is cause to ignore our obvious struggles in basketball.
This right here. I mean, yes, obviously having football be great is wonderful, and it's brought joy during a ****** year. For that similar reason, I wish that I had basketball to look forward to over the next few months, but based on CSP's track record and how the team has looked the past few seasons, WOOF. Not likely.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Considering the source, I am pretty sure we have a Grinch who just wants to post something to whine and complain and cause a stink when everybody is absolutely elated with the football program.

A new thread... with an inflammatory title calling for a midseason firing after a loss to a hated rival, one we beat to death on here... wasn't exactly looking for reasoned discussion about the state of the program.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
We've got a 50-50 shot at a Big 12 title in football... yet some people always gotta have something to ***** about.

I mean, you know things are horrible in the bball program if Sig is responding like this and not with some metric that lets us all know its not that bad. This post speaks volumes!!!!

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
IMO the only chance they have is to look at Young, Conditt, and Foster as 15 fouls and tell them to be aggressive with Garza the entire game

Reactions: ClonesFTW

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I mean, you know things are horrible in the bball program if Sig is responding like this and not with some metric that lets us all know its not that bad. This post speaks volumes!!!!

Oh no, we suck right now. Love them to prove me wrong, but those first two games were ugly.

I just have zero expectations with basketball and am on cloud nine right now with football.

To make an obscure historical analogy --

The Japanese bombed Dutch Harbor and invaded Kiska and Attu?

Who cares. We just won the Battle of Midway!

Reactions: heitclone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Oh no, we suck right now. Love them to prove me wrong, but those first two games were ugly.

I just have zero expectations with basketball and am on cloud nine right now with football.

To make an obscure historical analogy --

The Japanese bombed Dutch Harbor and invaded Kiska and Attu?

Who cares. We just won the Battle of Midway!

Fine if you are willing to let them just take all of that delicious Alaskan King Crab. ;)

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Considering the source, I am pretty sure we have a Grinch who just wants to post something to whine and complain and cause a stink when everybody is absolutely elated with the football program.

A new thread... with an inflammatory title calling for a midseason firing after a loss to a hated rival, one we beat to death on here... wasn't exactly looking for reasoned discussion about the state of the program.

I guess I still don't see the correlation between being good in football and being able to ***** about our basketball program. I can understand the lack of value in yet another "Fire Steve Prohm" thread. I just don't understand where having success in football factors into that equation.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
My motto, "any team can get beat on any given day!"

P.S. Washington Football team to the Steelers, "hold my beer"!

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I guess I still don't see the correlation between being good in football and being able to ***** about our basketball program. I can understand the lack of value in yet another "Fire Steve Prohm" thread. I just don't understand where having success in football factors into that equation.

It wouldn't if like you said this thread was just another "Fire Steve Prohm" thread. However it's about job tenure linked to performance against a specific opponent. You start going down that road then the outcome of that one game starts to outweigh the season as a whole and the line/correlation between sports and how you justify and or rationalize starts to get a little blurry. Because if it's so d*** important to beat Iowa in basketball........then why not football? If beating Iowa is so important that a coach's job is on the line just for that game.....then what, it's okay to lose to Iowa as long as you beat OU and Texas the same season? Okay, so what if Iowa wins Friday and somehow a month from now the light clicks for the young guys and they start competing against the Big 12? Do we say F it Prohm.........you lost to Iowa? Because if that's the case shouldn't we tell Matt Campbell F it.....you haven't beat Iowa? See, you want to debate about the season as a whole....okay. If nothing changes as the year unfolds I will have a harder time finding ways of defending it. But for one game! Now, any and everything I just stated means absolutely nothing if your only reason for this is because you don't like Steve Prohm. Then you can just substitute any opponent for Iowa when it comes to Steve Prohm. Because to you, every loss is historic.......and every win is an underachievement.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
You know how I know ISU is going to lose? Any time ISU has played a tough/physical team the last 3 seasons or so we do not do well.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
This is CSPs 6th year. So far, he has won two big 12 Tournament Championships, had three Dance appearances and one Sweet 16 under his belt. Finished ranked in the Top 25 final AP poll three times. The last time (2 years ago) was with (mostly) his own recruits. Granted, last year sucked, but his overall resume is not too shabby IMO. I think thru the 2022-23 season is reasonable.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
This is CSPs 6th year. So far, he has won two big 12 Tournament Championships, had three Dance appearances and one Sweet 16 under his belt. Finished ranked in the Top 25 final AP poll three times. The last time (2 years ago) was with (mostly) his own recruits. Granted, last year sucked, but his overall resume is not too shabby IMO. I think thru the 2022-23 season is reasonable.

I could maybe see 2023 if we see significant, measurable improvement through 2022 and few to no defections. At this rate, I'm not convinced were going to get the season in this year.

No improvement this year, and more of the same next year, it'd be time in 2022.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: chadly82

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron