Why Now?

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Okay, maaaaaaaaybe .But that's a whole heck of a lot of stuff to iron out between the GOR, Media Deals, Big XII exit and SEC entry. Plus, I fully expect everyone with any juice in Texas state politics and a degree from A&M, Tech, Baylor and TCU to fight a move to the SEC tooth and nail.

If I'm Texas, I make the announcement and clean up the details afterwards. Once that announcement is made, I don't think the genie will be able to go back into the bottle.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
If I'm Texas, I make the announcement and clean up the details afterwards. Once that announcement is made, I don't think the genie will be able to go back into the bottle.
That'd be a great way for a school President or Administrator to find themselves out of a job real quick. First, they don't have the legal authority to make such a move unilaterally. Second, there's far more to conference affiliation than just athletics, and those interests and funds dwarf athletics, even at a place like Texas. Third, Texas does value it's academic reputation, which is probably a big reason all previous flirtation with the SEC have failed to come to fruition. Academically, Texas is a better fit for the Big 10 or PAC-12. Athletically, yeah, the SEC makes the most sense. Realistically, nobody's going to invite them in and then put up with their **** like the rest of the Big XII does. They have a pretty sweet deal as it is, and I think they know that. This whole thing is nothing more than a negotiating ploy and an effort to throw their weight around.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

The genie can go back in the bottle if the regents replace everyone associated with said announcement. It would be career suicide to announce a move without buy in from at least the regents and maybe even the legislature. And I don't see that move approved against the wishes of Tech and A&M. Plus Baylor and TCU would have some clout in the legislature.

• Useful
Reactions: aauummm

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL

This seems to be the spark that lit the fire. After ESPN declined renegotiating the media deal early, the Big 12 asked everyone to extend the GoR to 2030. Texas has no interest, and is looking for an alternative.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Exactly what i was thinking. I wonder how much viewership would be lost? If there is a super conference that leaves out everyone else, I don't see myself watching those games because i will no longer care. I'll just find something else to do.

I can only speak for myself, and I realize this may make me sound like a "bad fan", but if ISU isn't competing on the same "level" as the other schools, I'd probably never watch a game of college football again. NFL only from there on out.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
I can only speak for myself, and I realize this may make me sound like a "bad fan", but if ISU isn't competing on the same "level" as the other schools, I'd probably never watch a game of college football again. NFL only from there on out.

I'm likely the same. I will watch ISU games, but no others. I am also curious how being mediocre for years in a new conference will look on the Longhorn brand. They were riding high in the saddle the last go-around but they are now staring down a decade of relative mediocrity and are about to get into a conference where it only gets more difficult from both a recruiting and a brand standpoint. Heck, they are only getting into the SEC based on their brand while riding the coattails of OU's on-the-field success. Looking at it from another perspective, the Longhorns are Oklahoma's unattractive, but wealthy, friend.

• Winner
Reactions: motorcy90

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I've been slowly less interested in college football as a whole over the last 10 years anyway due to the obvious disregard for anything but money. Obviously this makes it way worse. People not wanting to play tough games because they might lose, less rivalry games, etc.... It quit being about the fans years ago!
Amen. I have relatives in the DC area - big Maryland fans. You think they give a damn about games with Iowa and Minnesota, vs what they had with Carolina, NC State and Virginia?
And as they always say, no one asked them...

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
Exactly what i was thinking. I wonder how much viewership would be lost? If there is a super conference that leaves out everyone else, I don't see myself watching those games because i will no longer care. I'll just find something else to do.

This is why I think we will see the emergence of other super conferences. There's still a compelling market for watching college football outside the SEC footprint and what other bluebloods would want to try to squeeze into the SEC's crowded house right now? If I'm the B1G bluebloods or ACC/Clemson, I'd want to pull in viable programs to build up enough compelling inventory to compete with the $EC, and start shopping it around to TV networks and streaming platforms.

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
I'm likely the same. I will watch ISU games, but no others. I am also curious how being mediocre for years in a new conference will look on the Longhorn brand. They were riding high in the saddle the last go-around but they are now staring down a decade of relative mediocrity and are about to get into a conference where it only gets more difficult from both a recruiting and a brand standpoint. Heck, they are only getting into the SEC based on their brand while riding the coattails of OU's on-the-field success. Looking at it from another perspective, the Longhorns are Oklahoma's unattractive, but wealthy, friend.

As a longtime resident of Central Texas, I can tell you the Texa$ culture is rotten down to its entitled core. This is why they get 7-5 seasons with top 10 recruiting classes. Sark's a nice hire, but there's a lot of bureaucratic and cultural rot that needs to be cleaned about before UT will be "back". Maybe getting boat raced by SEC West teams for the next decade will finally make them clean out the deadwood and build a competitive program from the ground up.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Conspiracy theorist time: Texas is doing this now as their legislature can't form any sort of quorum to resist the move.
I think they leaked it now to steal the show at SEC media days. It literally leaked out a few minutes before Jimbo Fisher took the podium. Coincidence?

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
The party is effectively over. We might as well enjoy this season because we are moving from a system that is really hard for us to compete in to one we (and many many others) won't really even be a part of.

How is this any different vs. the last 100 years?

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013

Same. If college football is foolish enough to go to a 32 team super league I'm perfectly fine spending my Saturdays in the Fall doing something else. Binge watch the NFL on Sunday. Id be 100% done with college football. Im sure there are tens of millions in the same boat.

For all those reasons a 64 team league makes so much more sense. We will see.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
IMO the Supreme Court statements about the outdated concept of amateurism and role of NCAA probably got AD's at "Elite" Power 5 schools thinking.

Also when media experts guestimated a $2B annual value to a 12 team playoff, I think that also got "elite" schools thinking why should the split $2B among 66 teams when only a small group compete at a Clemson, Bama, OSU level.

Alswelk

Slightly Radioactive
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 5, 2006
Albuquerque, NM
Guys, it is all ISU's fault. Our recruiting and on field performance has made both OU and U of T worried that we will be the big dogs in the BIG12. So they are going to take the ball and run.
It's what we did to Nebraska too.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Can someone objectively explain why this is the right time for OU and UT to make this decision. GoR is up in 24/25 but what makes this the best business decision for them?
I don't know...
But rest assured the Iowa State's and Oklahoma State's won't be left in the mountain west. We are real brands with real fan followings. Not sure if ultimately there's a 30 team super southern league, and then we will be in some extended version of the big ten.

All will be fine. I'm not worried like I was 5 years ago (five years ago was an actual threat to our f-ball program forever)

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
The party is effectively over. We might as well enjoy this season because we are moving from a system that is really hard for us to compete in to one we (and many many others) won't really even be a part of.
I hate this post, but you are probably right. :(

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
So do scholarships even really matter now? Won't a lot of big time programs be able to load up on kids who can get money to pay their own way now even I they are out of schollys?

• Winner
Reactions: Yellow Snow

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Can someone objectively explain why this is the right time for OU and UT to make this decision. GoR is up in 24/25 but what makes this the best business decision for them?
NIL

and money.
And somehow related to what they think or want out of a new College football playoff, again, money.

Maybe the only way this can resolved if TX/OU, SEC, and others move forward on this, is for Federal government to get involved/legislation, in order to: 1. Apply a reasonable (whatever that is) cap to NIL and what that might turn into, and 2. maintain a level (or close to level) playing field for the existing P5 (perhaps a few others) schools in the world of college football. Though the landscape can change, one conference or set of teams cannot gain an undue advantage over another.

If this is not done, college football as we know it may be over. I will defer to the business and legal minds out there, but something needs to be done, similar to legislation barring business monopolies?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron