Why i hate the NBA...

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
lebron-flop-2.gif

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I hope Lebron hurts himself on one of his flops. It is ridiculous that refs let the players get away with that crap. It takes away from the game and it cheapens it.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Nba is a great product and sport. Better than college has been lately

I don't agree with this at all. The bottom of the league is horrible and they need to take away a couple of the teams. The playoffs are ridiculously long. The draft age needs to change.

College basketball has more parity now than ever. The NCAA tournament is the best sporting event. Making players go at least one year has brought some of the best players back to college basketball.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
What some people call parity in college basketball I call watered down. As someone who was a huge college hoops fan in the past I can't stand the current state of the game now. I watch or listen to every ISU game and that's about it until March.

The teams these days are a shell of what they were in the past IMO. You still get the occasional great team like Kentucky (even though everyone is 19 yrs old) but overall the good teams are lacking. See the national runner up from this year. If that's the 2nd best team in college basketball I rest my case on the state of the game. Two mid-majors playing in the Final 4 a couple years ago, etc. To me the NBA is a far superior product currently. Much better basketball and more entertaining.

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
I debate NBA basketball all the time with people. I always say I like college basketball better but if you don't like the NBA then you must not be a basketball fan. There are some flaws like with every sport but the bottom line is these are the best basketball players in the world and if you like basketball you would want to watch them.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I debate NBA basketball all the time with people. I always say I like college basketball better but if you don't like the NBA then you must not be a basketball fan. There are some flaws like with every sport but the bottom line is these are the best basketball players in the world and if you like basketball you would want to watch them.

I guess I'm not a basketball fan, then.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I don't agree with this at all. The bottom of the league is horrible and they need to take away a couple of the teams. The playoffs are ridiculously long. The draft age needs to change.

College basketball has more parity now than ever. The NCAA tournament is the best sporting event. Making players go at least one year has brought some of the best players back to college basketball.

The bottom of the NBA is certainly weak and losing Charlotte and New Orleans from the league would not hurt the product at all. As for the playoffs, they are long but they also produce a real champion. You can't fluke your way to an NBA title like you can a final four appearance. NCAA basketball is getting better thanks to the one and done rule but is still incredibly watered down compared to its late 80's high point.

I love the NCCA tournament, it's the most exciting and best sporting event to gamble on but in terms of quality of play it doesn't come close to the NBA playoffs.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

College format is more exciting to me only the first week of the NCAA tournament. Here's how my interest ranking goes as a rabid ISU and Bulls fan:

1. Bulls/Cyclones playoff or NCAA tournament games
2. First four days of NCAA tournament
3. ISU regular season games
4. Bulls regular season games (there are almost 3 times as many or this would be tied with #3)
5. NBA playoffs not including Bulls
6. Regular season NBA
7. NCAA tournament after first weekend - non ISU
8. NCAA regular season non ISU
9. NBA all star game, liked as a kid, never watch now

Things I like better about NBA game:
-24 second shot clock is a billion times more fun to watch. This dwarfs everything on either list.
-48 minute game.
-6 fouls
-Much better shooting from the field and free throw line.
-Refs are crooked but much more consistent from game to game.
-More athletic highlight caliber plays.
-Better defense in the playoffs.
-3 point line is set where it should be, college 3 is too close.
-Charge circle and the way charges are called in general

Things I like better about NCAA game:
-Star treatment less likely, but more likely that the star is the jersey so it evens out.
-For programs that have fans, the fans are much involved in the game. Hilton is louder and a better atmosphere than the United Center even with less people.
-NCAA is not run by one all powerful dictator, the NBA is.
-I like possession arrow much more than jump balls.
-Better regular season defense.
-Tournament format is a better fit for 300 some teams than NBA format is for 30 teams.

Last edited:

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
I hate the NBA because of the stupid rules they have. All the dunking, much more impressive shooting the ball from a distance. And because of all the stuff players get away with, like traveling.

shawn_200m

Apr 10, 2006
Tipton, IA
I love watching basketball, and the NBA is simply superior quality basketball to college, especially in the Playoffs. The NBA playoffs is basketball being played at its highest level, and I don't know how anyone can claim to be a basketball fan and say they hate the NBA. I love watching the Cyclones, but beyond that, I have a hard time watching other college ball, the product is just not as good as the NBA. The 24 second shot clock leads to a better paced game with more natural flow, and doesn't allow for mind-numbing styles like Wisconsin's. I also never understood the argument about the lack of defense in the NBA. Bottom line, if you don't play good defense in the NBA, you don't win games. The average final score from the Atlanta vs. Boston series was 85.1-79.9. That is incredible defense. The Chicago/Philly series had similar numbers.
There are flaws, like the long regular season, shaky officiating at times and some awful low level teams, but overall the level of play is far superior to the college game.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Also you have hate how the nba playoffs seedings work. I want Miami to play Indy but a 2 seed gets a 3 seed while a 4 seed gets an 8 seed. WTF?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I love watching basketball, and the NBA is simply superior quality basketball to college, especially in the Playoffs. The NBA playoffs is basketball being played at its highest level, and I don't know how anyone can claim to be a basketball fan and say they hate the NBA. I love watching the Cyclones, but beyond that, I have a hard time watching other college ball, the product is just not as good as the NBA. The 24 second shot clock leads to a better paced game with more natural flow, and doesn't allow for mind-numbing styles like Wisconsin's. I also never understood the argument about the lack of defense in the NBA. Bottom line, if you don't play good defense in the NBA, you don't win games. The average final score from the Atlanta vs. Boston series was 85.1-79.9. That is incredible defense. The Chicago/Philly series had similar numbers.
There are flaws, like the long regular season, shaky officiating at times and some awful low level teams, but overall the level of play is far superior to the college game.

NBA Defense complainers = bad at math, don't understand NBA game, or usually both

24 seconds to shoot vs. 35 seconds to shoot ... leads to a ton more scoring

48 minute game instead of 40 minute game ... leads to a ton more scoring

much better free throw shooting ... leads to a ton more scoring

insanely better at hitting an open jump shot ... leads to a ton more scoring

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Also you have hate how the nba playoffs seedings work. I want Miami to play Indy but a 2 seed gets a 3 seed while a 4 seed gets an 8 seed. WTF?

Seeding is stupid. They fixed it a few years back so it was less stupid, but should have just went 1-8 with division winners only guaranteed a spot in the playoffs.

It's not like baseball where divisional play is so heavy.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron