Why doesn't ISU sell beer at Jack Trice?

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Minnesota changed their law to say if you sell in club seats you have to sell in general seats as well. Us poor folk could use some beer, too.

It's marketing (hey pay more for the SEZ!) and control. At what point is money > control?

Ry4Cy

Nov 4, 2010
Ankeny
they have 105,000 seat stadium and 7 games so 735,000 potential customers this year and only made $1MM profit? To me that doesn't even seem worth the effort if those numbers are correct.
If ratio holds we are looking at about half the $$$ they are.

Lahey

Nov 2, 2015
No need to invest in higher quality concessions if they can't get people to come to games in the back half of the season.

I like an excuse to go grab a beer in the tailgating lots when we are down by 30 anyways.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I don't necessarily have too much opinion one way or another on this except for Pollard publicly stating he's opposed to it for societal reasons while he opens premium seating that promotes it.

I'm fine using it to promote premium seating, but don't preach to me about why you won't expand it.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Jamie has explained this. They are getting more revenue by limiting alcohol sales to certain premium seating areas (i.e.....induces demand for higher priced options) only as opposed to selling to entire stadium.

Reactions: kingcy

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
How? I don't understand how charging $8-10 for a $2.00(retail) can of beer can only produce marginal profits.

State-run institutions have ways of hiding all sorts of fees and internal surcharges that ruin the margins. It wouldn't surprise me if they had a sidewalk fee for the deferred maintenance related to wear and tear on the sidewalk used for bringing the beer into the concessions.