Why do we cater to Celebs?

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
I do think if any of us were to shell out the kind of money she probably is we would be able to get the same treatment.

Bingo. It's not about the fact that she's a celebrity. Well, that might have a little to do with it. But it's much more about $$$.

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006
I don't think it's a "double-standard". It's a highly liberal media telling society that this type of behavior is "ok". Take a gander at the television "shows" on t.v. now. You'll be hardpressed to find one that isn't about someone cheating on their husband or having premarital sex with anyone they can. It's disgusting.
You seem to believe that TV drives society instead of reflects it. Others, including myself, believe that society drives TV. You almost act like people wouldn't be cheating on their spouses or having premarital sex if it weren't for that darned TV.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
CTAclone- I think all the proceeds from the salad dressing go to charity, so I'll cut him some slack there. But he drives a mean race car and he's made a h of a lot of good movies.

I've actually never had Newman's Own Salad Dressing. His face just creeps me out on the front of it.

MrGreg

Oct 18, 2006
You seem to believe that TV drives society instead of reflects it. Others, including myself, believe that society drives TV. You almost act like people wouldn't be cheating on their spouses or having premarital sex if it weren't for that darned TV.

I think they drive each other, a cycle that just gets worse and worse...adult society drives TV, and TV drives younger society (especially when parents don't put put forth any effort)

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
I've actually never had Newman's Own Salad Dressing. His face just creeps me out on the front of it.

I'm not a big fan of his salad dressing, but his cookies are the heat. I don't really care about the "organic" deal. (Like, what kind of food is "inorganic", anyway?)

CAUTION: THREAD-KILLER COMMENT FOLLOWS>>>>>>>>>>>
I'm as hetero as they come, but I think Newman defines the male ideal of "handsome"

drum1306

Sep 17, 2007
I think tv (but more our culture in general) is what drives behavior. The problems don't come with the current generation at whatever point in time, it's the ones that follow.

But back to the main topic, it's a combination of money and "public influence." But either way, immediately jumping to the conclusion that every single room in that hospital was filled except for the reserved one is ridiculous; it's just convenient to portray it as if J-Lo was putting someone in need SOL. And how is the characterization of actors or actresses as prissy stuck up asses any more legit that assuming they are nice people? Unless you are on good personal terms with a high profile celebrity, you're assumption isn't more or less valid than a bag of popcorn.

Do I think celeb's get better treatment than the general public? Or course. Money does weird things to people, no matter what your job or fame. I can tell you that I've met a huge number of totally self righteous ignorant stuck up (usually males) that aren't celebrities. I think I'd take my chances with a celebrity any day.

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
Just to add fuel to the fire, I heard last night that Jennifer Lopez and Marc Antony are asking $6 million for the right to publish the first photos of their twins--just in the U.S. The international publishing rights have already been sold, but I didn't hear for how much.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
And how is the characterization of actors or actresses as prissy stuck up asses any more legit that assuming they are nice people? Unless you are on good personal terms with a high profile celebrity, you're assumption isn't more or less valid than a bag of popcorn.

I've met and worked with a few of them and I would say a majority are stuck up. I would say out of a sample of 10 celebrities, 2 of them would be very cool people. 7 would be stuck up but not too bad, and the other 1 would be one of the worst people you have ever met in your life. Just my work experience though.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
I've met a couple, and can see where most would be "stuck up". No matter how level headed you start out (and just think what kind of narcissist you have to be to think you have a shot at stardom) sooner or later, everyone starts believing their own press.

Even the nice ones have to always be "on guard" for idiots, which means they have to come off as "distant" at the very least.

All I know though, is that Eddie Arnold was "the heat" back in the day. He once spent several hours just shooting the breeze with me, a friend and his wife.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Recently on the actress, Brittany Murphy:

Murphy has been making outrageous demands while acting "like a diva," said one insider. "She's extremely difficult. When she gets to the set, it comes to a grinding halt. She's so hot and cold, you never know." According to our sources, Murphy insists on having diagonally cut peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with the crusts removed. "She needs one every hour. It's painstaking — her assistant takes about a half an hour making each one," said one crew member.

LOL, come on people. Tell her to stick it.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
It's painstaking — her assistant takes about a half an hour making each one," said one crew member.

Half an hour to make a PB&J sandwich? That's one slow assistant.:no:

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
"Putting 'love' into food" has a different meaning, when you work in a prison kitchen, though...:wideeyed:

You've worked in a prison kitchen , havent you. You are Captain Experience, no? :smile:

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
You've worked in a prison kitchen , havent you. You are Captain Experience, no? :smile:

Ummm, no, I haven't, but when I was teaching in a prison, I heard the phrase used, quite often. Hopefully, as a joke, when referring to a "treat" inmates working in the kitchen would prepare for CO's they really didn't like much.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Ummm, no, I haven't, but when I was teaching in a prison, I heard the phrase used, quite often. Hopefully, as a joke, when referring to a "treat" inmates working in the kitchen would prepare for CO's they really didn't like much.

LOL. If I worked in a prison I would bring my own lunch.