Why do we cater to Celebs?

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
I see people magazine offered JLo 6 million to get the first shots of the twins. Good grief. Think of what charity could do with 6 million dollars. Brad and Angelina got 4 million and they donated it all to charity...hats off to them. JLo most likely will take her 6 million and coat her car with leather and diamonds.

I've heard great things about Brangelina. An insider tells me that the only reason Jolie still acts is because she wants to make more money for her causes in Africa.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I love how it's apparently ok to have kids with multiple people that are dating at the time, but if we hear of someone that isn't famous that has a kid and isn't married, it's looked down upon. I think celebrities (especially sports figures) are the definition of double standards.

I don't think it's a "double-standard". It's a highly liberal media telling society that this type of behavior is "ok". Take a gander at the television "shows" on t.v. now. You'll be hardpressed to find one that isn't about someone cheating on their husband or having premarital sex with anyone they can. It's disgusting.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I've heard great things about Brangelina. An insider tells me that the only reason Jolie still acts is because she wants to make more money for her causes in Africa.

I very much admire what they do and wish more would do the same. I would like to think if I had the money and fame I would use that for those who need it most. I dont care what Oprah says, I dont buy her BS philanthropy.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I very much admire what they do and wish more would do the same. I would like to think if I had the money and fame I would use that for those who need it most. I dont care what Oprah says, I dont buy her BS philanthropy.

Kind of like when she ''gave away'' those Pontiacs? They made it sound as if Oprah paid for them with her own money when Pontiac donated them. I'll willing to bet more than half those people never kept the car because they would not have been able to afford the gift tax.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Kind of like when she ''gave away'' those Pontiacs? They made it sound as if Oprah paid for them with her own money when Pontiac donated them. I'll willing to bet more than half those people never kept the car because they would not have been able to afford the gift tax.

Exactly. Whatever she does she makes sure her stupid face is on it. Just like the Katrina ordeal. She made sure a camera was on her the whole time. There were tons of celebs who helped out in the aftermath who were never on TV. They were in the water helping people.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Exactly. Whatever she does she makes sure her stupid face is on it. Just like the Katrina ordeal. She made sure a camera was on her the whole time. There were tons of celebs who helped out in the aftermath who were never on TV. They were in the water helping people.

Oprah started a magazine which she named after herself. Then she puts her own face on the cover of every issue. If that's not the height of conceit, I don't know what is.

Cyclone711

Oct 27, 2007
Minnesota
I love how it's apparently ok to have kids with multiple people that are dating at the time, but if we hear of someone that isn't famous that has a kid and isn't married, it's looked down upon. I think celebrities (especially sports figures) are the definition of double standards.

I tend to disagree with that. Take Jamie Lynn Spears for example. A teen pregnancy is no laughing matter and often requires a lot of help and guidance, but we as a community look down on her and think to ourselves how could anyone in their right mind ever do this, as if it has never happened before. If anything I would say it is the opposite in the way that we expect our celebs to be perfect and when they aren't we chastise them. Also, sadly having a child before marriage is becoming less and less of a bad thing...

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Actors are like anybody else in our society, some good and some bad. Maybe they throw their weight around more because they are rich, and I don't like that whether they are an actor, athlete, or rich executive. I probably admire Paul Newman as much as I do any American.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
If they want to put their time and money behind certain issues then more power to them. If you don't like it, don't pay attention. Fact is, there are alot of things going on in this world that ALOT of people wouldn't know about if celebs didn't get attention for it (Darfur, Tibet, etc...).

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Hey, I don't give a rip if Celebs personal lives and foibles are "catered to". It's when we start actually listening to their OPINIONS about political matters that I start to wonder where the world we are coming to.

What makes "Sam the bartender" and Jeanine Garafolo authorities on anything? All they ever did is act. And Garafolo had like a minor part in like one movie....

The two actors mentioned here are Democrats. The same is true of the current governor of California.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
The two actors mentioned here are Democrats. The same is true of the current governor of California.

He's Republican. A liberal republican (is that possible) by the way.

After re-reading your original post, I think you are referring to that he was only an actor, like the other two??? Correct???

(Please don't move this thread to the cave)

Last edited:

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

Sorry - that's what I meant. That Republican actors also get involved. Charleton Heston is another example. I was just pointing out that all sides do it, whether it's right or wrong.

Cyclone711

Oct 27, 2007
Minnesota

After re-reading your original post, I think you are referring to that he was only an actor, like the other two??? Correct???

(Please don't move this thread to the cave)

If you want to be the Governor of a democratic state it is.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
CTAclone- I think all the proceeds from the salad dressing go to charity, so I'll cut him some slack there. But he drives a mean race car and he's made a h of a lot of good movies.