Why did we kick a field goal instead of going for it?

ISUpadre

Aug 2, 2013
USA! USA!
Find one college coach at any level that would have gone for it there and this thread can continue.

There are none.

RackMultipart.9176.0_display_image.jpg

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I didn't realize scoring points was "playing not to lose".

I wouldn't call it playing not to lose, it's not like he punted.

I'm pretty confident he did choose the option that would give him the lesser amount of average points scored. He also did something that 95% of coaches would do in that situation.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
This is the key point, and is the reason why it's a good idea to go for it. Another good reason is if the opponent is down three it's possible the opponents coaching staff will be conservative if they do get into scoring position to preserve a chance at a fieldgoal.

Bill Barnwell from Grantland does statistical analysis on these types of situations for NFL games and he suggests teams go for it in that situation.

Exactly. By going up by 6 Texas had no option but to go agressive with their playcalling.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
The previous 4 Texas drives were 2 punts and 2 fumbles and almost no yardage gained, AND we actually forced what should have been a fumble on the game winning drive. Easily the right call, anyone that thinks otherwise is playing too much NCAA 14.

Clones32

Mar 5, 2013
If you go for it and dont get and then Texas scores a TD, now you're down by 4 and need a Touchdown. Every coach in the country takes the FG there. Rhoads made the right call.

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009
Lets recall every play of the game and say we should have done something different because we would have won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
The previous 4 Texas drives were 2 punts and 2 fumbles and almost no yardage gained, AND we actually forced what should have been a fumble on the game winning drive. Easily the right call, anyone that thinks otherwise is playing too much NCAA 14.

Exactly. So what's the risk in giving them the ball on the five yard line when the upside is you score a touchdown and seal the game? They have to drive down the field and will be willing to settle for a field goal if they are able to drive.

ISUpadre

Aug 2, 2013
USA! USA!
Exactly. So what's the risk in giving them the ball on the five yard line when the upside is you score a touchdown and seal the game? They have to drive down the field and will be willing to settle for a field goal if they are able to drive.

Doesn't matter where they get it. 6 point lead LARGER than 3 point lead at that point.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona

It has nothing to do with ncaa 14, it's math. One of you stat nerds could calculate the exact odds if you wanted but from reading the advanced stats guys at football outsiders and on grantland I'm pretty confident going for it was the correct play call as far as expected averages go.

Again though, 95% of coaches would have kicked the fieldgoal because it's the safe route in terms of media criticism.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It has nothing to do with ncaa 14, it's math. One of you stat nerds could calculate the exact odds if you wanted but from reading the advanced stats guys at football outsiders and on grantland I'm pretty confident going for it was the correct play call as far as expected averages go.

Again though, 95% of coaches would have kicked the fieldgoal because it's the safe route in terms of media criticism.

95% of coaches kick the field goal because they understand the odds in football, and also do not expect their team to allow a late drive for 7.

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
Honestly, what are better odds? ISU making a field goal or ISU getting 3 yards? I'm really not sure....
Exactly my thoughts. I don't think ill ever trust our kicking game, and it made me really nervous to think it might come down to a 50+ kick to win.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Because it's going to be harder to keep them out of field goal range than it is to keep them out of the endzone, it sounds like you would rather us play for overtime? I'd rather put our defense in a position to do what it had done the entire 4th quarter for a chance to win us the ballgame rather than for a chance to save overtime.

ISUpadre

Aug 2, 2013
USA! USA!

Coaches are not thinking of criticism at that point. They are thinking 6 > 3 at that point. It really is, that simple. And, I know the grantland story. It didn't do a good job of taking into account time of game and momentum because Barnwell doesn't believe in MO.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Because it's going to be harder to keep them out of field goal range than it is to keep them out of the endzone, it sounds like you would rather us play for overtime? I'd rather put our defense in a position to do what it had done the entire 4th quarter for a chance to win us the ballgame rather than for a chance to save overtime.

Going for it would be playing to win and settling for likely OT if it doesn't work. Instead we settled for praying we don't lose.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Coaches are not thinking of criticism at that point. They are thinking 6 > 3 at that point. It really is, that simple. And, I know the grantland story. It didn't do a good job of taking into account time of game and momentum because Barnwell doesn't believe in MO.

6<7

ISUpadre

Aug 2, 2013
USA! USA!
Going for it would be playing to win and settling for likely OT if it doesn't work. Instead we settled for praying we don't lose.

Setting for OT doesn't sound like playing to win. Going up 6 and trusting defense (even though it didn't work) is playing to win.

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
The mistake was not being able to get a first down with a 2nd and 1 on their 5 yd line. Once it got to 4th down we had to kick the FG.

I've never understood in that situation when you have 2 plays to get one yard why you don't just QB sneak it 2 times in a row if needed. It just takes too long to hike it to the QB, turn around, and hand it to the RB 4 yds behind the line of scrimmage IMO. Don't mess around. Just have Richardson sneak it twice if you have to.

This too, crossed my mind. I still don't understand why isu always has to line up in thre pistole/spread no matter the situation