Why are we so excited about Vanderbeken

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Here's a novel idea.....let's wait for him to play an actual game before judging if he's worth a crap or not.

SpRiNgLiMe

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2007
Ames
At 53rd he is ranked ahead of a familiar face Dodie Dunson at 66th. Though this rankings are not a very good representation of what a player can do with a higher (or lower) degree of talent surrounding them.

Rivals.com Prospect Rankings

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I suspect he was like a ISU target No 10 for the big man, yet definitely a get to contribute, but still not the first choice. After watching our rebounding, we need front line choices. This was a choice to sign.

Cloner97

Apr 11, 2006
I believe he will be an outstanding player for us. Plus, isn;t his brother the guy from Dawson's Creek? That's icing on the cake.

clone87

Dec 7, 2007
Why you ask?

1. UConn was interested. We know what kind of talent they pursue.

2. Another big body in the rotation will allow Hamilton to redshirt and Pomlee/Mann will have time to develop slowly.

3. Allows Wesley Johnson to play the 3-spot.

4. Keeps us from having to play Alex Thompson 25-30 minutes/gm

5. Another threat to make 3's - important in a hi/lo post offense

6. Averaged 14 pts/gm on a team that had several scorers. Had he been the #1 scoring option, might have been a 20 ppg guy.

7. Ten rebounds a game shows he isn't soft and just hanging out at the 3-pt line.

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
Honestly, I am not impressed with him at all. He will be another Thompson as most, and I seriously doubt he will beat Thompson for minutes.

I believe McDermott spent a little more time than checking Rivals to see where they ranked Vanderbeken. McDermott brought him in and observed his skills against our current players. Has seen tape on his games this past year and even witnessed him in play in person.

Honestly, I will trust McDermott's opinion on this one rather than yours. Unless of course your real name is Coach K or your opinion is based on more than what the internet says about his skills.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
McDermott and the Pope going head to head in a battle of infallibility. Schweet.

Cutlass

Mar 23, 2006
Omaha
ramblingscotty.blogspot.com
When was the last time in cyclone history that a top 50 juco player makes a impact? I don;t remember that we even recuited a top 50 juco in LE time. Althoug LE was considered a bad recuiter.

I'm going to assume that this means a player outside of the top 50. Mike Nurse was a guy that wasn't on any top 50 lists. In fact hardly anyone outside of Gar Forman and Tim Floyd knew who he was.

Additionally Richard Evans was a top 10/15 Juco recruit. He became a marginal role player at best. Tommy King was a top 10 Juco. Total bust. Tim Barnes was another top 10 Juco. He was decent for one year, but no Mike Nurse.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Although I am not a fan of the Recruiting business, some of those guys have been studying Big XII recruiting alot longer than Mac has been recruiting in the Big XII.

Are you somehow saying that some folks NOT close to the program may know more about what our program needs than the head coach who has played basketball AND coached basketball against some of the nations best?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
At 53rd he is ranked ahead of a familiar face Dodie Dunson at 66th. Though this rankings are not a very good representation of what a player can do with a higher (or lower) degree of talent surrounding them.

Rivals.com Prospect Rankings

Since Tech took a post player rated right before Jamie, and OU took one a couple of slots later, I'm not terribly fussed about the rankings, really.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Additionally Richard Evans was a top 10/15 Juco recruit. He became a marginal role player at best. Tommy King was a top 10 Juco. Total bust. Tim Barnes was another top 10 Juco. He was decent for one year, but no Mike Nurse.

Heh. And when LE signed Jamaal Tinsley, no one had heard of him at all. All that he had was some gaudy assist statistics, and the fact that he was a New Yorker.

JDDCy

Jul 1, 2006
I'm pretty sure Kantrail Horton was not on any top 50 lists and he definately wasn't a bust. Dedrick Willoughby wasn't even playing BB at Indian Hills when Floyd brought him in and he turned out ok. I would much rather guys like Nurse and Horton than highly ranked guys like Dewayne Johns and the Jerome Harper.

SpRiNgLiMe

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2007
Ames
If Jamie is good enough for our coaches, he is good enough for me. From what I heard earlier he had a good workout. I'm also pretty sure the coaching staff knows more about players than I do. Plus he wants to be a cyclone. I just hope he doesn't have to regret that statement he made about Iowa State's ridiculous fan support.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
If he's good enough for Alford... nuff said.

If he's anything more than Jirir-light(tall man that likes to shoot outside) then he can get a medle on his chest. It would be great to have a 6'10", 250 lb. left handed shot blocker and a 6'8" perimeter player than the opposite. Oh wait... which one do we have???

Last edited:

JVAR

Mar 27, 2006
Eagle Grove, IA
I have read that he is very athletic and moves very well with nice touch around the basket. Didn't he have three or four other D 1 players in the starting five at Tyler? I think he will be a solid player.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
What I really liked that not m,any people talked about was that he shot 53% from the field (while being a three point shooter). That means that he's comfortable inside as well, not just an outside shooter on offense. Now that's something to get excited about. :biggrin:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron