Why are we not more competitive?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
CJL has mentioned multiple times they tend to tighten up when things go haywire. Also, the staff may be having issues countering adjustments made by the opposing staff after the first set.

The team again got beat tonight 3-1 at home by an average OU team. Again win 1st set and lose next 3. Very disappointing and perplexing.

Was watching Yankee game so wasn't checking in. Yikes, the bottom has really fallen out. :(

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
CJL has mentioned multiple times they tend to tighten up when things go haywire. Also, the staff may be having issues countering adjustments made by the opposing staff after the first set.

The team again got beat tonight 3-1 at home by an average OU team. Again win 1st set and lose next 3. Very disappointing and perplexing.
I sit with two ex-college players. One, a former conference MVP at Ohio State. They both say it is "effort." The team has nowhere near the "grit" it possessed 7-8 years ago.
Nowhere near.

• Informative
Reactions: The_Architect

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
On the plus side we had zero service errors the 1st game. 2nd game two, then back to normal.
On a side note there is so much stuff blocking my screen and constantly popping-up that I can barely write anymore.
CJL has some recruiting to do.

Reactions: Tornado man

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I sit with two ex-college players. One, a former conference MVP at Ohio State. They both say it is "effort." The team has nowhere near the "grit" it possessed 7-8 years ago.
Nowhere near.
There is a difference between effort and grit. Now CJL did admit the team mentally gave up late in the Tech match but didn’t tonight. An effort issue suggests not giving a flip and being lazy which I don’t think is the case.

I agree they really need a Kaylee Manns type on this team who did have grit and better all rotation players like Hockaday and Jensen.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
They will be able to rest up and get healthy during the off season and go again. If this was an easy fix CJL would have fixed it by now. No one is more disappointed than the coaches and the team. They have nothing to lose I wish they would unclench and just play because the results are going to be the same if they play tight.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
There are five college volleyball matches on the sports networks tonight. Watching some isn't cheering me up much. Baylor is smoking TCU after dropping a set. Next up is Texas/Kansas.

Huskers vs Indiana on BTN. Gophers beat them last match. Hoosiers giving them some game.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I saw the starting lineup on Twitter. No Hali. What did I miss?

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Were tonight - I can't see how Aliyah Carter.puts this KSU team over the top? Great payer but needs a better supporting cast.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Watched Purdue vs Peado State and ISU vs KSU at the same time-The game in the big 10 was played at 100 mph, ours at about 10 mph. The difference could not have been more striking. I would not even want to play the new IU at this point.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Even if it was against 0-6 (in league play) Kansas State, it was a good win. It's nearly always harder to win on the road and they actually looked fairly decent. I didn't see, but noticed the scores of the Texas match in Austin were much improved, in spite of the sweep by UT. So, I'm hoping these past two games mean a corner has been turned with this team. They're better than they've been playing. Just need to keep the energy level up and be ready for every serve.

Reactions: Cyfan1965

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
No one commented on it yesterday, so I'll just add something here. Volleyball swept TCU (15, 21, 16) at noon on Saturday. This was a nice win over a team that was ahead of us in the league standings. The sloppy play was kept to a minimum (aside from the usual too may service errors) and there was good energy throughout. But very happy to see the team back to 'normal.' :)

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
No one commented on it yesterday, so I'll just add something here. Volleyball swept TCU (15, 21, 16) at noon on Saturday. This was a nice win over a team that was ahead of us in the league standings. The sloppy play was kept to a minimum (aside from the usual too may service errors) and there was good energy throughout. But very happy to see the team back to 'normal.' :)
Team has played better since Enna replaced Hillegas at Libero. CJL has also inserted Baranski in recent matches as an additional DS with Hillegas.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I know she has been talking about energy and Enna has brought it. That is not a slight on Hillegas she has been phenomenal but Enna may be the spark. That and the games are so much cleaner and energetic that is has made a difference for sure. Just keep playing

Team10

Oct 10, 2018
I know she has been talking about energy and Enna has brought it. That is not a slight on Hillegas she has been phenomenal but Enna may be the spark. That and the games are so much cleaner and energetic that is has made a difference for sure. Just keep playing
It seems in general, the team has reached the point in the season where they are playing better together. Not sure that has anything to do with one player over the other. CJL indicated that they were reaching that point in the season where things were clicking. As we play more difficult teams, I can’t help but think that the number of digs and providing more opportunities will make a difference. The team is now blocking better and using a more balanced attack. IMO that has been the difference maker.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
The impression I get is that Enna is doing a better job of digging and passing to Mauck than Hillegas recently. Moving Enna to Libero keeps her on the court. Adding Baranski as a DS to the rotation has also improved back row passing which enables Mauck to have more options on who she can set to and key the balanced attack. We shall see if the new rotation keeps up the improved overall performance.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyfan1965

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
The impression I get is that Enna is doing a better job of digging and passing to Mauck than Hillegas recently. Moving Enna to Libero keeps her on the court. Adding Baranski as a DS to the rotation has also improved back row passing which enables Mauck to have more options on who she can set to and key the balanced attack. We shall see if the new rotation keeps up the improved overall performance.

It seemed like teams were focusing on getting Piper to have to make the first hit which gets you out os system. While Izzy was a pure libero even in HS, Hali was a setter and hitter before ISU. Moving Hali to a DS gives her better ability to set when Piper can't, at the same time with Izzy little is lost at Libero.

Team10

Oct 10, 2018
Nice job to Jess! Fantastic game for her! She received a lot of balls error free too! Great job on the team block too, especially Cande!

First set wins can come on adrenaline. As you say, that could be coming in ready to make the effort. When the other team continues to keep them out of system as the match drags on they tend to lose that first game magic.

A couple of years ago, it was our block that seemed to be the week point. That has been corrected, but maybe at the expense of the back row defense.

Help Support Us

Become a patron