Why are gas prices so high in Ames?

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
Pretty simple. College town and lead up to college resuming. Similar to the lead up to and during holidays. You see the same thing for concerts, and businesses tied to travel.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Pretty simple. College town and lead up to college resuming. Similar to the lead up to and during holidays. You see the same thing for concerts, and businesses tied to travel.

It's that in part, but there's also more to it.

In the middle of July, Ames was still 45-50 cents higher than Fort Dodge.

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Its interesting the different margins between products even at Kwik Star:

Ankeny: UNL- 3.14, UNL88 3.04
Ames: UNL- 3.89, UNL88 314

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
The only gas stations in Ames are Kum & Go and Casey's, and even at that there are 7 K&G's vs 3 Casey's. They can pretty much sat the price at whatever they want. Hoping Kwik Star coming to town breeds some more competition.

What? We have Hyvee gas, Swift Stops, Sams and now Kwik Star.

Reactions: Lewey24

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I've been driving over from Omaha for football games for probably 15 years. In all that time I have never bought gas in Ames. It is always the highest price on the entire drive. Even small towns like Madrid or Adel are cheaper. Always.

Reactions: exCYtable

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Kids are moving in this week (we take our daughter tomorrow) so they kinda have a captive week also.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It's the Gary Thompson effect. He owns the distribution company (Gary Thompson Oil) for most fuel in and around Ames.

Don't most of these bigger companies truck around their own fuel at this point?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It's the Gary Thompson effect. He owns the distribution company (Gary Thompson Oil) for most fuel in and around Ames.

Seriously? I wondered if it was something like that. However, it seems that big companies like HyVee could find a way to source cheaper if he overcharges.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Seriously? I wondered if it was something like that. However, it seems that big companies like HyVee could find a way to source cheaper if he overcharges.
Why would hyvee want to undercut themselves?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Why would hyvee want to undercut themselves?

They wouldn't be undercutting themselves. They would be undercutting a particular distributor who charges too much by using another distributor.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
It's that in part, but there's also more to it.

In the middle of July, Ames was still 45-50 cents higher than Fort Dodge.

Ft. Dodge actually dropped prices for state softball, they are higher now than then. CR and DM are pretty low MC isn't super competitive right now they were 3.30 for unleaded 88.

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
Ft. Dodge actually dropped prices for state softball, they are higher now than then. CR and DM are pretty low MC isn't super competitive right now they were 3.30 for unleaded 88.
3.53 this morning.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Lewey24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2020
Dubuque, IA
What college town effect?
  • Students can pay more because of their student loans?
  • High professional double-incomes/no kids households?
  • University contracts for fuel prop up prices for everyone?
  • Ripe for cartels and/or price-fixing like apartment pricing and turnover.
Or does it have nothing to do with a college town effect? Is there someone or a few people who just informally agree to keep prices higher in Ames.
It’s just higher demand lol. Higher demand leads to higher prices. It’s not some grand conspiracy lol

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
It has nothing to do with timing of students moving in. It's ALWAYS higher in Ames and Iowa City.

After a person's first couple trips to towns like that you learn to fill up elsewhere on the way or on the way home.

That said, there has always been some kind of local price fixing going on. I've driven by stations of different brands after midnight in different parts of town that have the same price - then drove by them early the next morning on the way to work and somehow in that 5 hour overnight time they both magically decided to raise their prices from the same identical low price to a newer identical high price.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: Cycsk and Snydes

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It has nothing to do with timing of students moving in. It's ALWAYS higher in Ames and Iowa City.

After a person's first couple trips to towns like that you learn to fill up elsewhere on the way or on the way home.

That said, there has always been some kind of local price fixing going on. I've driven by stations of different brands after midnight in different parts of town that have the same price - then drove by them early the next morning on the way to work and somehow in that 5 hour overnight time they both magically decided to raise their prices from the same identical low price to a newer identical high price.

I always remember it being a bit higher than des moines, but not the extreme differences we've seen lately.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Its interesting the different margins between products even at Kwik Star:

Ankeny: UNL- 3.14, UNL88 3.04
Ames: UNL- 3.89, UNL88 314
Yea I got the UNL88 at the Ames station a few days ago. Couldn’t believe how much cheaper it was. Kwik Star has their own supplier/distributor for the 88, maybe Thompson supplies the other blends?

Last edited: