Why are gas prices so high in Ames?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I bought gas this morning in Slater for $3.39 per gallon, but when I got to Ames, everyone was selling for $3.89 per gallon. Why does it cost 50 cents more per gallon in Ames? And why does every gas station (except Sam's Club) sell for the same price. I don't think there is a monopoly, but maybe it is as simple as informal price-fixing. Is there someone in Ames who sets the price and others follow?

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I bought gas this morning in Slater for $3.39 per gallon, but when I got to Ames, everyone was selling for $3.89 per gallon. Why does it cost 50 cents more per gallon in Ames? And why does every gas station (except Sam's Club) sell for the same price. I don't think there is a monopoly, but maybe it is as simple as informal price-fixing. Is there someone in Ames who sets the price and others follow?

College Town effect.

Gas is routinely 30-40 cents less a gallon in Cedar Rapids compared to Iowa City.

Reactions: DBQR4CY

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Bad news for you $3.39 is high by 21 cents. Plenty of places are $3.18.

Reactions: DBQR4CY

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

Diesel the last few months has been 30-50 cents per gallon less in Ankeny (Fleet Farm/Sams) than Des Moines. There have been exceptions where the gap is less......but have driven to Ankeny a few times to fill up when it's a wide gap.

And just for grins and giggles.......a Shell station in Williams Az had premium at $6.39 a gallon last week. It was the only station I have seen in years where gas is higher than diesel.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Are their local taxes in Ames levied on the sale of gas that or their cities don’t do?

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Are their local taxes in Ames levied on the sale of gas that or their cities don’t do?
No. It’s just what the gas stations decide to set the price. Maybe distributors charge a little more? Story city and Nevada are around the same price as Ames. Sam’s membership in Ames is a no brainer. Filled up at 3.19 a few days ago when other stations still 3.89

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
College Town effect.

Gas is routinely 30-40 cents less a gallon in Cedar Rapids compared to Iowa City.

What college town effect?
  • Students can pay more because of their student loans?
  • High professional double-incomes/no kids households?
  • University contracts for fuel prop up prices for everyone?
  • Ripe for cartels and/or price-fixing like apartment pricing and turnover.
Or does it have nothing to do with a college town effect? Is there someone or a few people who just informally agree to keep prices higher in Ames.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
What college town effect?
  • Students can pay more because of their student loans?
  • High professional double-incomes/no kids households?
  • University contracts for fuel prop up prices for everyone?
  • Ripe for cartels and/or price-fixing like apartment pricing and turnover.
Or does it have nothing to do with a college town effect? Is there someone or a few people who just informally agree to keep prices higher in Ames.

I've lived either in Ames or 20 minutes from Iowa City all of my life, and gas prices have always been higher in those two cities. Feel free to pick out whatever reason you want to for that.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Just brought gas in Chicago on Friday for 5.39 a gallon. Blew my hair back a bit.

• Wow
Reactions: NATEizKING

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
The only gas stations in Ames are Kum & Go and Casey's, and even at that there are 7 K&G's vs 3 Casey's. They can pretty much sat the price at whatever they want. Hoping Kwik Star coming to town breeds some more competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: CychiatricWard

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I don't know what petrol is here in Mpls area. Filled up the other day but didn't really look at the price but it was $3-something or another for the premium I put in the 20 year Boxster-mobile.

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
The only gas stations in Ames are Kum & Go and Casey's, and even at that there are 7 K&G's vs 3 Casey's. They can pretty much sat the price at whatever they want. Hoping Kwik Star coming to town breeds some more competition.
I'm shocked that Ames doesn't have multiple Kwik Stars.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm