Who's On Pollard's Short List?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
The thing with Campbell is he's really great at prepping for Big 12 opponents, beating Big 12 opponents, and getting Iowa State to bowl games.

Areas of concern are lack of preparedness to face non con opponents essentially at any point of the season. September and he is now 2-4 in bowl games. He also is not a great in game coach. When things go off the rails, he is not a good situational coach, things like using timeouts, clock awareness, playing with urgency etc. He has none of that. I feel like on occasion he isn't bad at those things, but when he is it is extremely noticeable to anyone that watches a fair amount of football.

All things being said, I think the program has plateuaed a bit, and as others have said, until Iowa State steps it up either in the portal or a receives some kind of boon of NIL cash, what we saw this year is likely the ceiling. I do not forsee them being any more likely to have 10 win seasons or conference championships in the new Big 12 versus the old. I'm not sure that's entirely on Campbell or not, but it will eventually get stale for the fans.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The thing with Campbell is he's really great at prepping for Big 12 opponents, beating Big 12 opponents, and getting Iowa State to bowl games.

Areas of concern are lack of preparedness to face non con opponents essentially at any point of the season. September and he is now 2-4 in bowl games. He also is not a great in game coach. When things go off the rails, he is not a good situational coach, things like using timeouts, clock awareness, playing with urgency etc. He has none of that. I feel like on occasion he isn't bad at those things, but when he is it is extremely noticeable to anyone that watches a fair amount of football.

All things being said, I think the program has plateuaed a bit, and as others have said, until Iowa State steps it up either in the portal or a receives some kind of boon of NIL cash, what we saw this year is likely the ceiling. I do not forsee them being any more likely to have 10 win seasons or conference championships in the new Big 12 versus the old. I'm not sure that's entirely on Campbell or not, but it will eventually get stale for the fans.
I think we have a shot winning the Big 12 the next two seasons.

We’ll still lose to Iowa, lose our bowl, and be embarrassing against G5/FCS teams.

We’re 8 years in and Campbell is who he is. He’s going to entertain us in October and November and win more than he loses. That’s enough for me.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

We’ll still lose to Iowa, lose our bowl, and be embarrassing against G5/FCS teams.

We’re 8 years in and Campbell is who he is. He’s going to entertain us in October and November and win more than he loses. That’s enough for me.
I agree for the most part. For posterity's sake I'd like to at least be able to beat Iowa every now and then. And maybe not play like ass against G5 schools.

Reactions: Bob f

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008

Good perspective. Everybody with reasonable baseline expectations are happy. ISU on the main stage. JP, CMC earning generational wealth. Fans extend season to almost January. I still don’t understand the lack of competitiveness vs Iowa.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I haven't read this thread, so sorry if it's already been said, but Memphis' head coach looked really solid on Friday. His team manhandled us, and outcoached us in every way.

Reactions: sunset

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Good perspective. Everybody with reasonable baseline expectations are happy. ISU on the main stage. JP, CMC earning generational wealth. Fans extend season to almost January. I still don’t understand the lack of competitiveness vs Iowa.
I don't know if I'd say we aren't competitive vs Iowa, we're just losing.
We're losing to them the way most teams have. They're basically 9-3 the last decade, #15-#20, and they don't make mistakes.

Reactions: cycloneML

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021

Agree with this. I’ll take the good with the bad with Campbell all day long, because the good is better than we’ve ever had and the bads are nowhere near our lowest depths.

I’d like to hit 9-10 wins every now and then, but I’ll be satisfied with 6-7 wins a year. Especially this year when we lost our best pass rusher and WR to the NFL, our starting QB, starting RB, starting TE, and a starting DL due to gambling. But 9-10 wins isn’t my expectation. I also will forgive a 3-5 win season every now and then too considering we’re not really a program that can reload like a blue blood.

I’m also ok with losing to Iowa as long as we can beat them every other year or so. 1-7 against Iowa needs to improve. Outside of this year we usually handle G5 opponents pretty well (UNLV, Ohio last year, UL Monroe, Akron x2, Memphis in the previous Liberty Bowl). We did have that loss to Louisiana due to COVID, but they ended up being a top 15 team.

Last edited:

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
both OSU and KSU this year. Both anomaly games.
I'll give you KSU being an anomaly because of how weird the weather was (though both teams had to equally experience the weather, and Iowa State simply was better at not letting it beat them).

But what possibly made OSU an anomaly? If we're going to talk about anomalies and flukes, then the Ohio and KU losses were as much anomalies as OSU was considering the sicknesses in the Ohio game and the momentum-changing bad call in the KU game.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I don't know if I'd say we aren't competitive vs Iowa, we're just losing.
We're losing to them the way most teams have. They're basically 9-3 the last decade, #15-#20, and they don't make mistakes.
We're not really that competitive. In '19 arguably should have won and led most of the game, but outside of that and the win in '22, it seems like we get down early by multiple scores and then finally score in garbage time vs their prevent d to make it look closer than it was. My two cents anyway

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
The list has been posted already: Matt Campbell.

Pollard has been here 18 years, so there’s ample evidence that he errs on the side of caution when it comes to firing coaches (not named Wayne Morgan). I think we’d need at LEAST back-to-back trainwreck seasons - like, every game a 2022 TCU - before Pollard would consider making a move.

What jobs are available right now that would entice Campbell? Which ones would consider him as a candidate? Maybe he’s ready to make the NFL jump, but I don’t see any indication that he’s ready to get out of Ames.

So this thread is a fun(?) exercise to keep us occupied until the meltdown at the start of conference play in basketball, but I’m guessing Pollard has put less thought into the replacement list than I put into this post.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The list has been posted already: Matt Campbell.

Pollard has been here 18 years, so there’s ample evidence that he errs on the side of caution when it comes to firing coaches (not named Wayne Morgan). I think we’d need at LEAST back-to-back trainwreck seasons - like, every game a 2022 TCU - before Pollard would consider making a move.

What jobs are available right now that would entice Campbell? Which ones would consider him as a candidate? Maybe he’s ready to make the NFL jump, but I don’t see any indication that he’s ready to get out of Ames.

So this thread is a fun(?) exercise to keep us occupied until the meltdown at the start of conference play in basketball, but I’m guessing Pollard has put less thought into the replacement list than I put into this post.
I think Pollard probably always has name(s) ready for replacements for almost every sport.
A few more years with decent teams and I'd be suprised if Golesh isn't on that list (and many other AD's lists).