Who the **** is this guy and this CBS Sportsline Poll?

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
I think you'll note that the Sportsline...ooops...CBSSports.com 124 changes from week to week based on wins and losses. So the more we win with our impressive SOS rating, the better we do. But I think that each school's SOS changes based on how well each team on that schedule is doing with their schedule. A win VS Iowa should at least place us ahead of Iowa, but it will take a win over a top 25 ranked team to make us climb that list. I've found that by the middle of the season, the Sportsline 124 has quite few rankings that I disagree with.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Most of the time problems like this are because the formula starts off the season including data from the previous year so they can put something out right away. Unfortunately what they are really doing is corrupting the results with meaningless data.

Yea, that has to be what's happening otherwise you'd have all the teams that won last week listed in semi-random order, then all the bye teams listed, and then all the teams that lost listed, because there'd be no real way to weigh "good" or "bad" wins/losses yet. Like Johnny 5, "Need more input!"

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think you'll note that the Sportsline...ooops...CBSSports.com 124 changes from week to week based on wins and losses. So the more we win with our impressive SOS rating, the better we do. But I think that each school's SOS changes based on how well each team on that schedule is doing with their schedule. A win VS Iowa should at least place us ahead of Iowa, but it will take a win over a top 25 ranked team to make us climb that list. I've found that by the middle of the season, the Sportsline 124 has quite few rankings that I disagree with.

It should if your theory is correct; but did you notice that NIU is ahead of Iowa and Tulsa is ahead of ISU?

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
As a lifelong Cyclone fan I've learned not to worry about pre-season/very early predictions and rankings. Sometimes they are good and falsely get my hopes up but most times ISU gets no respect. Its kinda nice when the Rodney Dangerfield of the Big XII proves the "experts" wrong