Who is the greatest Cyclone of all-time?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Shout out to the lineup my freshman year that got me hooked on ISU basketball:

Bill Cain
Jim Abrahamson
Dave Collins
Aaron Jenkins
Jack DeVilder
Rick Engel
Gene Mack

Cain was the man that year. 19.8 points and 15.2 rebounds per game. Probably the best ISU player in the category of those unknown or unheralded.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Fair enough. Here's an interesting question: If Fizer stays for his senior year would he be the greatest cyclone of all time?

Certainly in the top 4. Especially if ****** doesn't happen.

So hard to predict the outcomes of that, but if he's the all-time leading scorer and made the two deepest runs into the tournament, yeah I think so.

And I say all of this as someone who was in school during that time and went hoarse yelling "one more year" during the last month of the season. Especially the last home game, Hilton echoed at top volume with "ONE MORE YEAR" over and over again.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Funny to debate things that are impossible to come to a conclusion of right / wrong.

If Prohm is able to keep ISU nationally relevant, then Niang's 4 years were probably the most important in ISU history.

Fizer was the most dominating player in ISU history.

I was pretty young for the Grayer / Hornacek days - but I remember as a little kid watching those fools - they were talented.

Freddy had the greatest impact of the school.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Greatest Cyclone? Fred Hoiberg. Runner Up: Georges Niang

Best player? I'll just go in my lifetime. Marcus Fizer

Fizer:
McDonalds All American
1st Team All Big 12 Twice (soph/junior years)
Big 12 POTY
1st Team All American
Taken 4th in the NBA Draft
Led the team to the Elite 8 (32-5 record)

Junior year stats:
22.8 ppg
7.7 rebounds
1.1 blocks
1.1 assists
58% FG
36% 3 PT

If he played one more year he would have likely broken Jeff Grayers scoring record.

My Mt Rushmore would have been difference from a pure bbal skill standpoint. I wonder who would win in 1 on 1 in their prime? Fizer vs Royce? Grayer vs Fred? Would be an interesting thing to think about too.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Greatest Cyclone? Fred Hoiberg. Runner Up: Georges Niang

Best player? I'll just go in my lifetime. Marcus Fizer

Fizer:
McDonalds All American
1st Team All Big 12 Twice (soph/junior years)
Big 12 POTY
1st Team All American
Taken 4th in the NBA Draft
Led the team to the Elite 8 (32-5 record)

Junior year stats:
22.8 ppg
7.7 rebounds
1.1 blocks
1.1 assists
58% FG
36% 3 PT

If he played one more year he would have likely broken Jeff Grayers scoring record.

Grater went for 25 and 10 his senior year. 22 and 8 as a jr. 20 and 7 as a sophomore.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Shout out to the lineup my freshman year that got me hooked on ISU basketball:

Bill Cain
Jim Abrahamson
Dave Collins
Aaron Jenkins
Jack DeVilder
Rick Engel
Gene Mack

Cain was the man that year. 19.8 points and 15.2 rebounds per game. Probably the best ISU player in the category of those unknown or unheralded.

I fully agree; I might make a case for Greyer, or The Roland Rocket. But it's kinda painfully sorry to hear many opinions from those whose experience only goes back to 2013.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Certainly in the top 4. Especially if ****** doesn't happen.

So hard to predict the outcomes of that, but if he's the all-time leading scorer and made the two deepest runs into the tournament, yeah I think so.

And I say all of this as someone who was in school during that time and went hoarse yelling "one more year" during the last month of the season. Especially the last home game, Hilton echoed at top volume with "ONE MORE YEAR" over and over again.

By god. Put Fizer on that 2000-01 team with Tinsley, Horton, Sullivan, Rancik, and Shirley. They already went 25-4 regular season. Do they even lose a game with Fizer in there? They are definitely a 1 seed instead of the ill fated 2 seed they ended up as.

• Agree
Reactions: bawbie

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
By god. Put Fizer on that 2000-01 team with Tinsley, Horton, Sullivan, Rancik, and Shirley. They already went 25-4 regular season. Do they even lose a game with Fizer in there? They are definitely a 1 seed instead of the ill fated 2 seed they ended up as.

Man! never bring that up again in any form. {jimlad, but seriously, never again}

Fizer was awesome, but that team isn't what it was without Tinsley. That dude was like no other player Iowa State has ever had. Additionally, Fred is nothing without Julius Michalik. Those dorm room hoops games between Hoiberg and Michalik were formative for Freddy {jimlad, but seriously, I loved Michalik fiercely due to his s-talking to Byron Houston during the epic-comeback game}.

Shout out to Johnny, without him, we aren't having a robust thread like this.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My freshman year featured the coaching giants:confused:, Lynn Nance and Rick Samuels, and players Chuck Harmison, Robert Estes, Dean Uthoff, Jon Ness, and crew. By my senior year woo-eee coach, we were just starting to cook with Coach Orr and Barry Stevens, Jeff Hornacek, the three Ronnies (Harris, Virgil, and Falenschek), and Terrence Allen.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Man! never bring that up again in any form. {jimlad, but seriously, never again}

Fizer was awesome, but that team isn't what it was without Tinsley. That dude was like no other player Iowa State has ever had. Additionally, Fred is nothing without Julius Michalik. Those dorm room hoops games between Hoiberg and Michalik were formative for Freddy {jimlad, but seriously, I loved Michalik fiercely due to his s-talking to Byron Houston during the epic-comeback game}.

Shout out to Johnny, without him, we aren't having a robust thread like this.

Trust me, the only reason I would bring up the game against the team that must not be named is to ponder the distinct possibility that it wouldn't have happened without Fizer.

Also, I definitely understand what Tinsley meant to that team. While we love all those guys, there's not another real superstar on the 00-01 team other than Tinsley. He was the engine of that team more than almost any player ever has been. Maybe Royce could compare to individual contribution to one team.

Give Tinsley someone like Fizer to work with in 00-01, and that team is as good as the Elite 8 team.

• Agree
Reactions: Lexclone

oldwiseman

Oct 10, 2009
I don't know about best ever but from a fan perspective but I loved WATCHING both Tinsley and Cato.

Royce White may be the best.