Who is the best coach in college basketball right now?

Who’s the best college basketball coach?

• Mark Few

• Bill Self

• Coach K

• John Calipari

• Scott Drew

• Jim Boeheim

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
I saw the following stats and accomplishments below on Scott Drew's tenure at Baylor:

During Drew's tenure, Baylor has a 21-9 overall postseason record, an NIT Tournament title, eight NCAA Tournament appearances, four Sweet 16 berths, two Eliter Eight appearances, and the program's first No. 1 ranking and Final Four appearance.

Baylor is one of five P5 (Duke, Kentucky, Michigan State) with 18-plus wins each season after 2008.

Baylor appeared in the NCAA Tournament nine times since 2008. The program only made four appearances in the tournament's 65-year prior to Drew's tenure.

Drew is one of 12 coaches nationally who has led his current program to four Sweet 16s since 2010. Drew is the youngest (50) of those coaches.

Baylor has won at least 20 games in 12 of the last 14 seasons after only three 20-win seasons in the program's previous 100 years (1946, 1948, and 1988).

Baylor finished the regular season with 263 games as a nationally ranked program in Drew's 18 seasons. Baylor was ranked in two of the program's 2,197 games prior to Drew's tenure.

Drew was named 2020 NBC Sports National Coach of the Year following the pandemic shorten season in which the Bears went 26-4, enjoyed a Big 12-record 23-game winning streak, and were ranked No. 1 nationally for more than a month.

Baylor won the 2021 Big 12 title this season, the program's first conference title since winning the SW conference in 1950, and Baylor's first outright conference title since 1948.

Scott Drew's tenure at Baylor is all the more impressive since Baylor did not have much basketball success in its prior history. It's easy to see why Scott Drew will be on several teams' shortlist of prospective hires. I live in Texas. My Baylor friends do not seem worried that he will leave. They say he really likes being at Baylor. The administration will likely increase his salary. They are also building a new state-of-the-art basketball area. It will be interesting to see what happens.
It’s amazing that he doesn’t even make $3m.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It's too early but I was most impressed with what Juan Howard did this year specifically.

Fun to watch and iirc top ten in offense and defense.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Do we include those that were caught or have been suspected of cheating and paying players or just one the ones we think are clean. Because that gets rid of Pitino, Self, Boeheim and a few others, there has also been a lot a rumors in the past about Drew.

Best clean coaches would have to Few and Wright
Yep - don't want the cheaters.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Few amazing the eye for talent this guy has, and his offensive coaching is an absolute clinic.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
While the answers are interesting, that is a totally impossible question to answer. It's like asking who is the best school teacher in the state. There are several great teachers, and some are fortunate to have better resources than others. Some have more challenges with students yet get great growth and results. Likewise, lots of great coaches.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
While the answers are interesting, that is a totally impossible question to answer. It's like asking who is the best school teacher in the state. There are several great teachers, and some are fortunate to have better resources than others. Some have more challenges with students yet get great growth and results. Likewise, lots of great coaches.

I vote her ask best teacher

Reactions: Jerms

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Considering their recent success and how this question is framed, I'm curious why Tony Bennett and Jay Wright wouldn't be on the list. Hard to argue against Mark Few, if he can finally win a championship this year he's no question at the top of my list. What he's done to build that program and turn it into a "new blood" is pretty remarkable.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I vote her ask best teacher

Just like some coaches, she was cheating to get good results. :eek:

• Haha
Reactions: Drew0311

wcbsas

Apr 26, 2010
I’m glad Coach K isn’t getting talked up here.

I was extremely disappointed in his stance early in the season (after Duke uncharacteristically lost a few non-con games) that we shouldn’t be playing in this Covid era. Was glad to see several coaches call his ass out saying he wouldn’t have been saying that if he had a better team.

Duke (and North Carolina) have underwhelmed recently. Done a lot less with more.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby and Acylum

wcbsas

Apr 26, 2010
Cronin enters the hot seat with UCLA fans tonight after Gonzaga beats them.
You don't lose in the Final Four out there and fail to incur the wrath of those fans.
You being serious ... I bet Cronin didn’t pick his team to make the final four in his own pool.

Reactions: CyBobby

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Mark Few is great for sure but he didn’t build the Gonzaga program. He built it into a national title contender but Dan Fitzgerald and Dan Monson brought it out of obscurity.

Certainly splitting hairs here. They went to two NCAA tournaments before Few was head coach, and he has been an assistant since 1989! I’d say he has certainly built that program.

Help Support Us

Become a patron