Who is the best coach in college basketball right now?

Who’s the best college basketball coach?

• Mark Few

• Bill Self

• Coach K

• John Calipari

• Scott Drew

• Jim Boeheim

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

EnkAMania

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 31, 2013
Seattle
Cronin enters the hot seat with UCLA fans tonight after Gonzaga beats them.
You don't lose in the Final Four out there and fail to incur the wrath of those fans.
The alum I know aren’t like this. I think the one’s you’re talking about are dead.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I want to write Mark Few but I will go with Scott Drew. He had an Elite 8, now he has a championship game under his resume. Only reason I penalize Few is he gets to play Hawaii and bad programs like that 20x per year.

Scott Drew to me is the best in the business. I would be backing up the brinks truck for him if I were the North Carolina AD.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Monson has them in the Elite 8.

Okay? Baylor had a final four in 1940 something. Does that coach get credit for their program of today? Few built that program. Cmon son. That was a cinder ally run with a semi upstart. Few has been the head coach since 1999 and had all but two of their total tournament appearances as a program.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Monson did show they could have tournament success, and pulled them out of obscurity.

But it's Few who has made them a national brand and a true contender.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I want to write Mark Few but I will go with Scott Drew. He had an Elite 8, now he has a championship game under his resume. Only reason I penalize Few is he gets to play Hawaii and bad programs like that 20x per year.

Scott Drew to me is the best in the business. I would be backing up the brinks truck for him if I were the North Carolina AD.

I voted Drew because he has consistently had good team in a major conference. A couple of his better teams lost good players at tournament time as I recall. Gonzaga has been very good too, but as other have pointed out, they play only a handful of tough games all year, so they can come into the tournament more rested than other teams. Not saying that they are not good, or that Few is not good, just like what Drew has done better.

Reactions: Acylum

MattCampbell

Mar 12, 2021
Mark few. They move the ball so effortlessly and rarely take bad shots. They rebound and play great defense which turns into easy offense. It may be just because of this years team but creating that team is very difficult. So unselfish it is unreal.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Calipari has no business being on this list.

Jay Wright, Few, Coach K, Self, Beard, Cronin, and Drew.

I do have to say, out of the list above, Drew has shown an insane ability to learn, adjust, and adapt over the last few years. Five years ago he was an awful in game strategist and would often take timeouts in the midst of large runs (for his own team), thereby killing momentum. He was a great recruiter but was often outcoached during games.

Now? It's crazy how far he has come. If you watch Baylor games he's no longer doing the stupid **** he did a few years ago and makes great adjustments. Win or lost tonight he has probably put himself in the discussion.

If I had to pick one it would be Jay Wright. Awesome coach who has seemingly done things the right way. I've also never heard anyone say a bad thing about the guy.

Reactions: Acylum

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Monson has them in the Elite 8.
Big difference making a single run as a double digit seed vs. the incredible level Few has them at now. They have been a #1 seed 4 of the last 8 tourneys. That's incredible. And we're talking about over 20 years since that happened. At this point, Few could've taken over a team with 0 wins or 30, it was over 20 years ago. Having a top 5 program when you are in your 22nd year or whatever it is means it's pretty much all you.

Hard to go wrong with Few, Wright or Drew. Very different situations, and different results, but all have done incredible jobs.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Everyone on that list except one guy has less titles than Jay Wright. "Putting it all together" means winning 'ships, and he's got them. He's a monster recruiter, he coaches them up and he generally has them peaking at the right time. He'd get my vote.

Drew's evolution as a coach is amazing. He immediately gets credit for raising Baylor from the ashes of the Bliss era but he's gone from being a guy that could recruit high level talent, to a guy that develops under the radar guys and can in game manage with the best of them. Even two or three years ago, I wouldn't have had him on the list, and now he's very solidly in the top 3, with a strong argument for #1....he needs to leave Baylor so I can actually root for him.

As someone else said, I don't know that you can definitively say "this guy is #1" but Few would probably round out my top 3 and again, has a strong argument for the top spot.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
what mark few has done up in the north west part of this great nation is impressive

america, f*ck yeah.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
The alum I know aren’t like this. I think the one’s you’re talking about are dead.
Yeah, this was certainly true up til about 10 years ago, but I think the fan base has mellowed out a bit. I'm sure after this year, if Cronin follows it up with a dud--and a dud being anything less than the Sweet 16--the fans will be murmuring next year.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'm glad Beard's name isn't getting throw around much in here. Jared dropped on the CF Radio Show last Thursday that he thinks Beard is the best. I don't see it. Had a deep run and then a real deep run, but the past couple years his teams look pedestrian IMO. He's definitely good, but I think recency bias is at fault in regards to how he's viewed. I think he'll go on to be slightly more successful at Texas than Shaka was, but that has more to do with my opinion of Shaka than anything.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
1617647466560.png

I think an announcer said Gonzaga is one or two wins shy of averaging 30 wins/season under Few, which I initially thought was BS. However, he's pretty close at 28.6 wins/year. Had they finished last year and this year have been a full season, he'd bee really close.

I don't care what conference they're in, that's stupid good.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
View attachment 83734

I think an announcer said Gonzaga is one or two wins shy of averaging 30 wins/season under Few, which I initially thought was BS. However, he's pretty close at 28.6 wins/year. Had they finished last year and this year have been a full season, he'd bee really close.

I don't care what conference they're in, that's stupid good.

If Few had built the resume almost solely on dominating WCC, it'd be one thing. But Gonzaga got to a point when major powers were willing to schedule games with them (no longer was a "risk" for loss), and GU started winning some of them -- add to that being able to make good tournament runs first as a lower seed, competing with the powers, then eventually playing a challenging non-conference schedule to rise in the seedings.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: DurangoCy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron