Who ever the is person in charge of working with the offense should be fired on the spot

jackrabbit

Dec 2, 2006
You have to remember when he was at SDSU he inheritted one of the best offensive players in the country in Mike Daum. Give TJ credit for playing to his strengths there, but its hard to get a player that dominant at ISU against the competition we play in the Big 12. Recruiting is great in the next two classes, so hopefully that correlates into much better offense.
TJ's final recruiting class at SDSU (that signed Nov 2018) included Caleb Grill, Baylor Scheierman (two time 1st team All Summit and one time Summit Player of the Year. This past year he transferred to Creighton for his final year 2022-23) and Doug Wilson (two time 1st team All Summit, one time 2nd team and one time Summit Player of the Year). If all three had played at SDSU this year, all three would have been 1st team all Summit League. TJ will recruit and develop players to what is best suited for the team to succeed and win.

If you look at Mike Daum's season stats, the number of 3pt shots attempted increased from around 1.5 to 4.5 per game after TJ took over. Some of that was Daum improving between his Fr and Soph season. Some of it is the coach recognizing the shooting ability of Daum and game planning for it.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Johnny also lost a whole bunch of games and this makes it sound like it's a choice on whether or not to score.

I think some CFers are actually doing this...like vs. KU someone posted that ISU should have just hit a 3 instead of missing a shot in the lane. Simple as that!

I don't think the person asking was speaking of his time at ISU alone. It took Bob Knight and a historic Indiana team to prevent Johnny from having national champ hardware.

Reactions: CyBobby

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
How awful is Baylor that our drive and dish down low worked so well but never was evident today. Is that 7'100 pounder that scary?

We didnt even really try it and when we did we were inconsistent with it. Often we'd drive, get stopped, and kick out only for it to stop there. There wasn't enough attempts at dribble penetration cycles. By that I mean you drive, kick out when stopped, then dive again etc. Something we are also poor at is filling the voids on drive. It's pretty common for us to drive, our player gets stopped, only to have no outlets as we didn't didn't slide away from the defense.

Otz was terrible all game but there's a strong likelihood we lose even if he makes all the right moves. We have an 8 man rotation and half of those guys can't be counted on to score. That basically leaves Kal, Holmes, Lipsey, and King. Lipsey won't shoot Js, Holmes has an inconsistent jumper, and King is a low post/garbage scorer. Kal is the only one who can shoot remotely consistently and Holmes and Lipsey are the drivers but if that's shut down AND we don't shoot the ball well? It makes it tough and the margin of error is slim.

I still shake my head thinking about Otz's decisions throughout the game. If we ever needed a time for our coach to positively influence game yesterday was it. Instead he did absolutely nothing.

I just hope Jamie, and assistant, or a player has enough balls to call him on it. Yes we need better players but we can't have our coach making the head scratching moves he did yesterday. He needs to be better.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't think the person asking was speaking of his time at ISU alone. It took Bob Knight and a historic Indiana team to prevent Johnny from having national champ hardware.

He had 4 very good Michigan teams and the other 8 were NITish or .500 overall record.

The 75-76 team averaged 86 pts/game and gave up 76 points.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
He had 4 very good Michigan teams and the other 8 were NITish or .500 overall record.

The 75-76 team averaged 86 pts/game and gave up 76 points.
I liked Orr and what he had done for ISU but he was not a great coach. He was above average like Fran Mac but not great

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I liked Orr and what he had done for ISU but he was not a great coach. He was above average like Fran Mac but not great

Loved Johnny and he paved the way for Hilton Magic, etc. I was super young during the 80s but generally people were just excited to be in the tournament no matter what seed or there were a few losses including at home with teams that often had to punch above their weight to pull off wins.

Now we have CFers struggling with the idea of a team making the tournament while punching above their weight and winning some big time games along the way.

Reactions: NWICY

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Let's hope the BB team doesn't follow the same trend the FB team did else next season will be a rough one
We will need new OL, OC, ST's coaches!

Hopefully Otz will surprise us with a little more emphasis on the O.

Sure would be nice to be an elite D, good O team. I think we would all like that. Most of us anyway.

Reactions: CYdTracked

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
This. TJ has worked wonders with this program in two years but he shouldn’t be immune to the offensive woes this team has.

FDU, FAU, Kennesaw State, UC Santa Barbara, Iona, Grand Canyon, and Montana State put up substantially better offensive numbers and scored more than Iowa State. And they did it against better defensive teams. This really dumb narrative of “we have no offensive talent” is a crutch ISU fans and media use. We had enough talent to be in the top 15 in the country but now we can’t score 40 points against the #180 defense in the country?? Come on…
It's not a crutch, it was a fact all season. Sometimes certain players would get hot, but they were offensively by far the least offensively talented team in the Big 12. Any team can get hot for a game, which is what your examples mostly are. You think Kennesaw state is going on a run? No, they just had a great once in a blue moon game.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Pitt sucks. Their defense sucks. And yet we have 30 points in a ******* NCAA tournament game. We got ******* nothing against this squad? Really?

IDK who it is. Get them out. We're already turning over a large chunk of the roster so that helps. Full blown reset on that side needed

That’s the entire coaching staff. This isn’t football. There isn’t an OC. I think I’ll keep TJ, thanks.

isuclone89

Oct 23, 2007
Medical Lake, WA
Only have a couple of things to say. Did anyone pick us to be a 6 seed at the start of the season? If you did I want to congratulate you on this.

One of the big things I heard was that we would be offensively challenged. If this was true did you really think we're not going to have some bad offensive games?

Wait and see what comes with the offense over the next two seasons. If it doesn't improve over that time, then you can ***** and moan. We went from a 2 win season to playing in the next 2 dances.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Only have a couple of things to say. Did anyone pick us to be a 6 seed at the start of the season? If you did I want to congratulate you on this.

One of the big things I heard was that we would be offensively challenged. If this was true did you really think we're not going to have some bad offensive games?

Wait and see what comes with the offense over the next two seasons. If it doesn't improve over that time, then you can ***** and moan. We went from a 2 win season to playing in the next 2 dances.
Most coaches wouldn't have went .500 with this team. A freshman point gaurd and a bunch of transfer role players.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Both Lipsey and Watson need to work on their outside shot. Held Pitt to under 60 so defense wasn't the issue. The team's slide seems to coincide with Grill hurting his back. The loss of just one additional scorer was the margin of loss in a lot of close games. The loss of Grill's defense didn't help either.
I think it is as simple as that. The loss of a healthy Grill changed our season for the worse. With his deep threat, you can't pack your defense in like Pitt. You have to extend it and that allows us better spacing. Gives room for more dribble drive and opens up better shots for Holmes and Gabe as well as opportunities for the inside guys. I think we would have won 3 more games with a healthy Grill and probably we would have been playing in Des Moines.

I was furious about our offensive performance against Pitt. That was pathetic beyond belief. I get it that sometimes teams have poor shooting nights, but that performance was off the charts bad, for any team. I felt the team came out tight, tentative and scared and were not in the right mental space to start the game. That game aside, it is important to keep in mind, TJ did a phenomenal job of putting together a roster to win this year but he lost a couple of important pieces in Green, Williams, and after Jan 17th Grill.

Last edited:
Reactions: peatyscotch

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
he was perfect for us at the time. When looking at his overall record, you have to throw the first 4 years out, he had a major rebuild to do. It was a different era, you didn't hit any transfer portal to reload. You had to do it with freshmen and develop them. After those first 4 years, Orr made the NCAAs 6 of his last 9 years. Would have had a 7th if his starting center hadn't been hit by a train. Plus, he didn't get to coach a loaded team with 6 seniors he had (Hoiberg's senior year). Also, people forget that Burger King incident kind of derailed things as well. He brought an exciting brand of BB to a place that hadn't had it in a long time, and we beat A LOT of top 25 teams in his era. People bash Orr's overall record on this forum all the time, but they don't look at context or acknowledge how great he was for Iowa State at the time.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
he was perfect for us at the time. When looking at his overall record, you have to throw the first 4 years out, he had a major rebuild to do. It was a different era, you didn't hit any transfer portal to reload. You had to do it with freshmen and develop them. After those first 4 years, Orr made the NCAAs 6 of his last 9 years. Would have had a 7th if his starting center hadn't been hit by a train. Plus, he didn't get to coach a loaded team with 6 seniors he had (Hoiberg's senior year). Also, people forget that Burger King incident kind of derailed things as well. He brought an exciting brand of BB to a place that hadn't had it in a long time, and we beat A LOT of top 25 teams in his era. People bash Orr's overall record on this forum all the time, but they don't look at context or acknowledge how great he was for Iowa State at the time.

He also didn't have a 64 team field early on.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron