Who ever the is person in charge of working with the offense should be fired on the spot

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
We er Iowa State are always going to be in this predicament because ISU DOES NOT HAVE THE NIL MONEY THAT THE TOP PLAYERS WANT/NEED!
Texas ... Baylor and Kansas will always WIN BECAUSE THEY HAVE THE MONEY TO BUY THE PLAYERS!!

Reactions: DeBruzzio

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I liked Orr and what he had done for ISU but he was not a great coach. He was above average like Fran Mac but not great
Let me tell you Johnny Orr said about Iowa when he arrived in ames...
IOWA HAS NEVER BEEN A FACTOR IN THE BIG TEN RACE!!
Johnny took a Michigan team with Phil Hubbard to the National Championship Game...Has anybody in this state ever done that?

• Agree
Reactions: 67CY

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
he was perfect for us at the time. When looking at his overall record, you have to throw the first 4 years out, he had a major rebuild to do. It was a different era, you didn't hit any transfer portal to reload. You had to do it with freshmen and develop them. After those first 4 years, Orr made the NCAAs 6 of his last 9 years. Would have had a 7th if his starting center hadn't been hit by a train. Plus, he didn't get to coach a loaded team with 6 seniors he had (Hoiberg's senior year). Also, people forget that Burger King incident kind of derailed things as well. He brought an exciting brand of BB to a place that hadn't had it in a long time, and we beat A LOT of top 25 teams in his era. People bash Orr's overall record on this forum all the time, but they don't look at context or acknowledge how great he was for Iowa State at the time.
Yes, he was good for ISU. Even we remove his first 4 year at ISU, is his record better than Fran’s if we remove his first 2 seasons at Iowa. Orr won many games against top 25 teams at home but nothing or almost nothing on the road. He also lost many games against the cellar dwellers of Big 8 and Big 12 on the road.

Reactions: VeloClone

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
Let me tell you Johnny Orr said about Iowa when he arrived in ames...
IOWA HAS NEVER BEEN A FACTOR IN THE BIG TEN RACE!!
Johnny took a Michigan team with Phil Hubbard to the National Championship Game...Has anybody in this state ever done that?
His record at Michigan was good but not great. He made NCAA tournament 4 of 12 years at Michigan. Orr was a good coach and fit at ISU just like Fran is at Iowa

• Dislike
Reactions: CyBobby

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It's not a crutch, it was a fact all season. Sometimes certain players would get hot, but they were offensively by far the least offensively talented team in the Big 12. Any team can get hot for a game, which is what your examples mostly are. You think Kennesaw state is going on a run? No, they just had a great once in a blue moon game.

99/00 team averaged 78 pts/game and I don't recall Larry being known for being an offensive genius. IIrc they ran a basic high/low type stuff but had a bunch of players that can could a lot with or without the ball.

Can you imagine what a difference even a Michael Nurse type would make the last two seasons?

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Thank god TJ is good at recruiting, because his ability to coach, especially through adversity is not readily apparent to me. we need someone that TJ can delegate to in game that can actually coach the squad, and then put TJ on recruiting full time.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Pitt sucks. Their defense sucks. And yet we have 30 points in a ******* NCAA tournament game. We got ******* nothing against this squad? Really?

IDK who it is. Get them out. We're already turning over a large chunk of the roster so that helps. Full blown reset on that side needed
You’re wondering who is in charge of the offense? His name is TJ.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Yes, he was good for ISU. Even we remove his first 4 year at ISU, is his record better than Fran’s if we remove his first 2 seasons at Iowa. Orr won many games against top 25 teams at home but nothing or almost nothing on the road. He also lost many games against the cellar dwellers of Big 8 and Big 12 on the road.
Beat second ranked Purdue on the road. Orr's Big 8 was WAY BETTER than the Big 10 Fran has coached in. In any year, there might have been on bad team in the Big 8, whereas Fran's Big 10 has had 5 or 6 every season.

• Love
Reactions: CyBobby

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Your evaluation of how TJ’s doing vs Jamie are worlds apart. The only calling that JP will do is to invite TJ up to his office for a well deserved raise.
Jamie's interest is in winning games and filling Hilton with rabid fans. If that is being done, his work is complete. Success at the dance is gravy.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Right? That's my point. If you are this mad...DO something don't just be some soapbox whiner on a ******* message board.
Ok, I shouldn't even engage at this point but that's not stopped me in the past so whatever

Let's say I did that. News breaks. FAN CONFRONTS TJ(or whatever)

What's your reaction? Wow, that dude had the balls to do it, or wow what a jackass? There's no situation with you where I'm actually winning in your mind.

You can just say you don't like me and think I'm an ******* instead. People say that to me constantly here and I'm still around so it's not something I can't take. Instead of inventing scenarios I should do just be up front about it instead

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Ok, I shouldn't even engage at this point but that's not stopped me in the past so whatever

What's your reaction? Wow, that dude had the balls to do it, or wow what a jackass? There's no situation with you where I'm actually winning in your mind.

You can just say you don't like me and think I'm an ******* instead. People say that to me constantly here and I'm still around so it's not something I can't take. Instead of inventing scenarios I should do just be up front about it instead

You don't have to 'confront' TJ.

Request a meeting with him and pick his brain on what goes into his basketball program, and report back if you had ideas that he and the staff hadn't realized or thought of or problems they hadn't noticed.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
You don't have to 'confront' TJ.

Request a meeting with him and pick his brain on what goes into his basketball program, and report back if you had ideas that he and the staff hadn't realized or thought of or problems they hadn't noticed.
Knowing the person who posted it, I think that is exactly what they wanted me to do tbh.

But honestly that sounds fun as hell and actually something I would love to do. May have to look into that over the summer.

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
he was perfect for us at the time. When looking at his overall record, you have to throw the first 4 years out, he had a major rebuild to do. It was a different era, you didn't hit any transfer portal to reload. You had to do it with freshmen and develop them. After those first 4 years, Orr made the NCAAs 6 of his last 9 years. Would have had a 7th if his starting center hadn't been hit by a train. Plus, he didn't get to coach a loaded team with 6 seniors he had (Hoiberg's senior year). Also, people forget that Burger King incident kind of derailed things as well. He brought an exciting brand of BB to a place that hadn't had it in a long time, and we beat A LOT of top 25 teams in his era. People bash Orr's overall record on this forum all the time, but they don't look at context or acknowledge how great he was for Iowa State at the time.
The 1985-1986 is still my favorite Cyclone team of all. They may not have been the very best but they were always exciting and always most amazing(and undefeated) at Hilton. I think I have to watch the Kansas win at Hilton that year. That was the only time that Kansas team lost to a Big 8 opponent that season.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
"IT'S THE OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR'S FAULT!"

After that early - admittedly huge - deficit, I felt like the issue wasn't the quality of shots but rather terrible shooting. More of a personnel issue. If you have a line-up with Shune/Jones, King, Lipsey, Watson and Holmes/Kalscheur, for example, on the court, you are lacking in both creators and shooters. Kunc can't create shots; sometimes he is great at knocking down catch-and-shoot 3s. Lipsey can create a little bit but can't shoot. The 5s all struggle with the ball in their hands.

Our offensive options were not good enough in many games this year - I don't see it as the offense that's being run. To win vs. a good team, we needed to really take our opponent out of its rhythm AND have a guy or two have a big offensive night.

The recruits coming in should give us some hope and let's say a prayer for success in the portal. How the NIL thing is working in NCAA hoops is still abstract to me but we have to assume we won't be at the top of the food chain in that.

I'm still amazed that people are turning on TJ on here already. He had an empty cupboard when he came and got transfers to field a good team. Then he did it again (not getting Green and Williams on the floor hurt us). But do you - speaking to those bashing TJ - really think there's someone out there that we could bring in that could wave his magic wand and always have us in the Top 10? With what, better in-bound plays?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Thank god TJ is good at recruiting, because his ability to coach, especially through adversity is not readily apparent to me. we need someone that TJ can delegate to in game that can actually coach the squad, and then put TJ on recruiting full time.
Have you not seen assistants leading the huddle all the time? He defers to them frequently.
Chris has even posted about this.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis

You think you know what I am saying to do and it's blatantly clear you do not. You're pissed. That's fine. DO SOMETHING. Email him...all you do is ******* complain on here which does NOTHING. Calmly reach out to him with concerns. Not that hard.