Who ever the is person in charge of working with the offense should be fired on the spot

Raywswartz

KC Chief
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 17, 2006
Free throw made percent says a lot about an individual’s shooting ability. Good shooters are high 80’s+. We were last in the B12. It’s all about repetition & muscle/mind memory. Coaches can do only so much. You’ve either got it or work like hell to get it.
We were last becuase our guys are not good shooters. They worked on it. Just not good. The saying is something about chicken and chicken bleep

Reactions: madguy30

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Ken Pom has us at 110 in AdjO. The only team still alive in the Round of 32 with a worse AdjO is…Farleigh Dickinson.

There was not a 10 seed or higher outside the top 100 other than Iowa State.

If you want to make the next leap, you have to fix this broken offense. And not at the expense of having tough, high effort players.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
TJ took the Cyclones to the NCAA’s in his first two years after taking over a team that was the worst in Cyclone history. TJ is bringing possibly the highest rated recruiting class next year. This year’s team far exceeded my expectations. Remember the assessment back when Tyrese Hunter announced he was leaving. Now, after overachieving they lay an egg. So be it. We are back to reality. The team played hard and achieved some success but the weaknesses and small margin for error were realized. Pitt played great. Give them credit.

Jeffrey Scott

Sep 28, 2017
I remember a famous line from Johnny Orr. Whenever he was asked how he managed to win so many games he said, "score more points than the other team."

Seems to me that BB can be pretty simple.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
And he wasn’t good today.

I would be curious how he looks against other teams. The officials talked to him several times and he was really playing angry. Just curious more than anything.
College basketball sort of sucks right now in general. It's like a fumble drill for a lot of games and then occasionally someone makes a decent play.

all players as potential one year paid free agents is not going to help. At least the old transfer rules effectively gave college programs 2-5 year contracts.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
His checking about 3 weeks ago has really hurt team.

When the team looked legit and was ranked 10-11ish a few weeks, Osun was an offensive weapon and gabe/grill/Holmes were scoring a ton. You can’t just have all that production slip and hope the same defense suddenly covers for it. King and bench guys made up a tiny bit of it but not enough.

Reactions: NWICY

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Ken Pom has us at 110 in AdjO. The only team still alive in the Round of 32 with a worse AdjO is…Farleigh Dickinson.

There was not a 10 seed or higher outside the top 100 other than Iowa State.

If you want to make the next leap, you have to fix this broken offense. And not at the expense of having tough, high effort players.

And watching FD, they played with confidence. If they got a fast break they finished, if they had an open three they took it in rhythm. They didn’t score high volume but they made things happen.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
And watching FD, they played with confidence. If they got a fast break they finished, if they had an open three they took it in rhythm. They didn’t score high volume but they made things happen.
They had two high level ball handlers. We had 0. You have to have guys who can create a shot off the dribble, and Holmes was the closest we had. When he’s off, we’re basically counting on Gabe to go off. Knew it was bad news when Jaz wasn’t even close on his early open looks. We’re an emotional team that needs to see the ball go in the hoop.

Schematically, Lipsey’s inability to shoot outside of 8 feet doomed us. But we needed him in there for defense and playmaking. Damned if you do, Damned if you don’t.

Capel schooled TJ. Had a great game plan to put 4 guys in the lane and give our bigs hell as soon as they touched it

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
It's the talent, we don't have a single consistent player on offense. Talent will improve next year but it will be young. Lipsey needs to work with a shooting coach all summer. Coaches did well over the season with what they had.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I remember a famous line from Johnny Orr. Whenever he was asked how he managed to win so many games he said, "score more points than the other team."

Seems to me that BB can be pretty simple.

Johnny also lost a whole bunch of games and this makes it sound like it's a choice on whether or not to score.

I think some CFers are actually doing this...like vs. KU someone posted that ISU should have just hit a 3 instead of missing a shot in the lane. Simple as that!

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
It's the talent, we don't have a single consistent player on offense. Talent will improve next year but it will be young. Lipsey needs to work with a shooting coach all summer. Coaches did well over the season with what they had.
Both Lipsey and Watson need to work on their outside shot. Held Pitt to under 60 so defense wasn't the issue. The team's slide seems to coincide with Grill hurting his back. The loss of just one additional scorer was the margin of loss in a lot of close games. The loss of Grill's defense didn't help either.

Last edited:

jackrabbit

Dec 2, 2006
When TJ was at South Dakota State, his 2017-18 and 2018-19 teams average about 84.5 ppg. SDSU ppg avg which was 7th and 5th nationally those two years. Defensively they gave up around 74 ppg. His SDSU teams 3 pt fg pct were 40.3 and 40.8%. FT pct were 76.2 and 77.8%. His final SDSU teams overall FG% was over 50%. So his SDSU teams could really shoot and score.

His ISU teams are just the opposite. Defensively outstanding and offensively challenged. It takes a good coach to be able to adjust to your team's talent and coach to that. At SDSU he relied on offense. In his first 2 years at ISU he has relied on defense.

What will TJ's future teams look like? I don't know. But as in the past, TJ will adjust how he coaches each team to match the talent that team has to maximize the team's ability to win games.

I enjoyed cheering on his Jackrabbit teams at Frost Arena and I have enjoyed watching his ISU teams at Hilton. TJ is an excellent coach. Let's put yesterdays game behind us and focus on next year.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
When TJ was at South Dakota State, his 2017-18 and 2018-19 teams average about 84.5 ppg. SDSU ppg avg which was 7th and 5th nationally those two years. Defensively they gave up around 74 ppg. His SDSU teams 3 pt fg pct were 40.3 and 40.8%. FT pct were 76.2 and 77.8%. His final SDSU teams overall FG% was over 50%. So his SDSU teams could really shoot and score.

His ISU teams are just the opposite. Defensively outstanding and offensively challenged. It takes a good coach to be able to adjust to your team's talent and coach to that. At SDSU he relied on offense. In his first 2 years at ISU he has relied on defense.

What will TJ's future teams look like? I don't know. But as in the past, TJ will adjust how he coaches each team to match the talent that team has to maximize the team's ability to win games.

I enjoyed cheering on his Jackrabbit teams at Frost Arena and I have enjoyed watching his ISU teams at Hilton. TJ is an excellent coach. Let's put yesterdays game behind us and focus on next year.
You have to remember when he was at SDSU he inheritted one of the best offensive players in the country in Mike Daum. Give TJ credit for playing to his strengths there, but its hard to get a player that dominant at ISU against the competition we play in the Big 12. Recruiting is great in the next two classes, so hopefully that correlates into much better offense.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Pitt sucks. Their defense sucks. And yet we have 30 points in a ******* NCAA tournament game. We got ******* nothing against this squad? Really?

IDK who it is. Get them out. We're already turning over a large chunk of the roster so that helps. Full blown reset on that side needed
You should be fired as an ISU fan on the spot. This team was streaky all year,we were luck to be in the tournament move on….

Reactions: isufbcurt

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You have to remember when he was at SDSU he inheritted one of the best offensive players in the country in Mike Daum. Give TJ credit for playing to his strengths there, but its hard to get a player that dominant at ISU against the competition we play in the Big 12. Recruiting is great in the next two classes, so hopefully that correlates into much better offense.

A favorite passive anti-TJ take is the 'well he only won at SDSU because of Daum' like it's bad that he won with a really good player.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
A favorite passive anti-TJ take is the 'well he only won at SDSU because of Daum' like it's bad that he won with a really good player.
If you actually read my post, you would have seen I gave TJ credit to playing towards their strengths. I was just explaining why the offensive numbers were so much better at SDSU.

Reactions: jackrabbit