Who do we keep from Staff and Recruiting

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Regardless of who the new coach will be, the two people i hope we keep are Scott Fountain and Ken Shepperd. I'm not doggin anyone else, i just think these two have done more for ISU football over the last two years then anyone else - Chizik included.

Recruiting:
I think if we can hire someone fast such as Gill who by the way kind of burnt his bridges similarly to Chizik in Buffalo, we should be able to maintain our current recruits and capitalize on a few others.

The main problem now is for the 16 kids we have committed, how many are going to stay and what will happen to our 2009 class as a whole. Its going to be like Chiziks first class thrown together without knowing fully what they have on the team and also who/whats left out there to go after.

This will set our program back a good 3-5 years.......

THANKS GENE

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
The problem I see with Gill is that he could do the same thing Chizik just did to us when that next major position opens up. I don't know who that guy is, but we really need a guy we can count on for at least a few years, we can't afford to do this in 3 more years without having a somewhat successful program a coach might want to take over.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
There is nothing wrong with a coach moving on from Iowa State with a better job offer after a foundation has been built and that coach has had some success.

Is there someone out there smarter than me cite an example of where something like this happened? An individual is a complete failure at coaching, and then resigns to take a better job?

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
The good thing is that the players and recruits will feel betrayed by Chizik and not the school. Fire a couch and players get po'd at the school. Coach leaves and they are po'd at the coach.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
The good thing is that the players and recruits will feel betrayed by Chizik and not the school. Fire a couch and players get po'd at the school. Coach leaves and they are po'd at the coach.
Whoa--that brings back memories of the Veishea riots...

I think the staff is up to the new coach, whoever that might be.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
So does this mean Gene was never looking for an OC/DC when he was interviewing doen in Texas? That stinks. At least he could have given a short list.

Dan had more ethics for sure.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Does anyone at least know what kind of money ISU will receive as a buyout? Surely we were smart enough to put in a clause for the first five years!

The contract was posted and discussed in another thread. The consensus seems to be $750,000, unless there is some other document with other terms...

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I hope that not too many players leave because of this. I know that AA, Bo, and Arob will at least stay. I hope we do keep some of the staff and I agree with Ken and Scott- but I think there are some others that would also be good to keep on hand.

The question I have is, who is the leader of the football team right now. It was a little different when McCarney left because no one was kept. With Chizik leaving, I assume that everyone else is still being employed as a ISU football coach until they find another job or another head coach is hired. This is truly a unique situation. No head coach, no coordinators, just a bunch of assistants.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
I imagine some of the staff follows Chizik and most of the rest are let go. My thoughts are McFarland and Bolt do not remain with the new staff (or follow Chizik...maybe McFarland). Koonz goes with Chizik as well.

Definitely need to keep Shepard and Fountain if we can. Fortunately, neither seem to have the loyalty to Chizik that goes back numerous years. So maybe there would be a shot they'd stick around for the players if given the option.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
There is nothing wrong with a coach moving on from Iowa State with a better job offer after a foundation has been built and that coach has had some success.

Is there someone out there smarter than me cite an example of where something like this happened? An individual is a complete failure at coaching, and then resigns to take a better job?

Peter Principle.