• Jared Barnett

Votes: 35 23.2%
  • Sam Richardson

Votes: 26 17.2%

• Total voters

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
i didn't get to see the spring game so my opinion remains the same.

steele jantz. its so nice to actually throw the ball down the field a few times a game. but it was also fun watching jb run the read option. he's certainly better at that part of the game.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
We change our offense according to the quarterback but it would be nice to find one that does both at least pretty well. Robert griffen was a low three star coming out. Imagine if we could find a guy like that.

No he wasn't. Robert Griffen was a 4 star and a high one at that. He was the 4th ranked QB in the class.

QB's ranked higher. Terrelle Pryor, EJ Manuel, and Marquis Gary. All good athletes, players.

FootballinTexas

Aug 2, 2009
This team is not built to be that explosive. There is no bigtime WR, QB, RB like the explsive teams have. We share the load on this team. No one person can change a game. Thats why we sell the players on being blue-collar workers, All-In, family, etc. Without these things, we don't win many games. Yes, you can get 1 or 2 big plays a game. But, if you're not stopping people in this league, you're not winning games. The best way to stop teams in this league is to keep their offense off of the field. Having an efficient offense does that. Thats why we were in every game JB started. I look at a team like Alabama. Now, we are not Alabama, but they had almost the same passing yards we had (2797), with 16 TD's and 8 INT's. We would expect the BCS champs to put up better passing numbers than ISU (2760). The difference is they led the country in rushing (2788, 34 TD's) and TOP. This helped their defense to play lights out due to rest (now they are very talented on defense but we have the best LB duo in the country) and keep the offensive teams off the field because of their ball control type offense.

If SJ can be more efficient and manage the game better, great (it could happen but I don't see it because he's not that type of player). But, I wouldnt want JB to change his game to try to get flashy because it's not who he is. He's a team guy. Plus, he'll start forcing balls like he did the spring game and then everyone will want to know why didn't he take 5 yard checkdown. SR is not either guy. He doesnt have the velocity of SJ or the running ability of JB. He is a underneath passing guy without the zone read ability. You may get accuracy but you lose a huge part of the offense.

The guys need to be who they are and CPR will have to make a huge decision on which direction he is willing to go with the offense. Efficiency or Flash. Because he won't get both in either guy.

Last edited:

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
This team is not built to be that explosive. There is no bigtime WR, QB, RB like the explsive teams have. We share the load on this team. No one person can change a game. Thats why we sell the players on being blue-collar workers, All-In, family, etc. Without these things, we don't win many games. Yes, you can get 1 or 2 big plays a game. But, if you're not stopping people in this league, you're not winning games. The best way to stop teams in this league is to keep their offense off of the field. Having an efficient offense does that. Thats why we were in every game JB started. I look at a team like Alabama. Now, we are not Alabama, but they had almost the same passing yards we had (2797), with 16 TD's and 8 INT's. We would expect the BCS champs to put up better passing numbers than ISU (2760). The difference is they led the country in rushing (2788, 34 TD's) and TOP. This helped their defense to play lights out due to rest (now they are very talented on defense but we have the best LB duo in the country) and keep the offensive teams off the field because of their ball control type offense.

If SJ can be more efficient and manage the game better, great (it could happen but I don't see it because he's not that type of player). But, I wouldnt want JB to change his game to try to get flashy because it's not who he is. He's a team guy. Plus, he'll start forcing balls like he did the spring game and then everyone will want to know why didn't he take 5 yard checkdown. SR is not either guy. He doesnt have the velocity of SJ or the running ability of JB. He is a underneath passing guy without the zone read ability. You may get accuracy but you lose a huge part of the offense.

The guys need to be who they are and CPR will have to make a huge decision on which direction he is willing to go with the offense. Efficiency or Flash. Because he won't get both in either guy.
If that bomb to Lenz isn't explosive then I don't know what is. If West being shifty and crazy fast isn't explosive I don't know what is. If Steele taking off for a 45 yard run isn't explosive I don't know what is. This team can be very explosive if it wants to be.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
This team has some young explosive players. Our new OC could also choose to run a little more with Jantz at QB than we did last year. Last year it was put the ball in Jantz' hands and try to get him going.

FootballinTexas

Aug 2, 2009
If that bomb to Lenz isn't explosive then I don't know what is. If West being shifty and crazy fast isn't explosive I don't know what is. If Steele taking off for a 45 yard run isn't explosive I don't know what is. This team can be very explosive if it wants to be.

To be realistic, that was a good throw by SJ but Lenz was being covered by a RSfr playing in his first spring game. That scenario is not gonna happen very often in conference play. West is explosive, I agree, but he's not going to give is 4-5 big play TD's on long passes from the QB. Most of his stuff is going to come off his nifty shifty ability from screens and underneath passes. Granted, those may turn into big plays but you only plan on 2-3 of those per game. We are a methodical football team right now like it or not. And all of the talk about involving the RB's more in the pass game shows we're not changing that.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Steele's big play ability excites me, but I'm horribly terrified of his interceptions as well.

I actually give the nod to Barnett right now. Clones have a stable of RBs returning...especially if Johnson is able to play. If the O-line can at least hold their own, I'd gladly take the more conservative Barnett leading the offense, with that trio of backs taking the pressure off the QB.

Also I'll add that Tiller might have a pretty nice season at WR. We all know of his athletic ability, and he appears to have good hands. There's a chance the WR position is better than expected this fall, and whoever is QB will have some nice targets to throw to/rely on.

My buddy who is a Hawk fan was really impressed with Chris Young at the spring game and carried on how the guy would attack the ball in the air instead of waiting for it to come to him. We'll see how it all comes together in September, but right now, I'd prefer to see JB out there.

ISU's schedule probably gets a lot tougher in 2013. I'm not saying I want JB to start so hes well seasoned going into 2013, but it would be nice to have a QB with a lot of experience under his belt when the schedule flips around and the toss up type games are on the road.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Since our defense could be very good this year, it wouldn't be the worst idea to try and play keep away grind it out offensive football. If that's the case, we wouldn't need big play jantz at qb.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
Since our defense could be very good this year, it wouldn't be the worst idea to try and play keep away grind it out offensive football. If that's the case, we wouldn't need big play jantz at qb.
Wouldn't be bad to win by 17+ either and I don't think a JB led team can do that RIGHT NOW. Maybe after he keeps improving his arm strength and isn't afraid of tossing it over 35 yards.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I have a good feeling that a more experienced on the field and in the playbook Jantz can cut down on INT's. Plus his position coach is notorious for improving players, and when you haved a raw talent like Jantz that just needs coached up and a great coach... It's pretty easy to improve.

JustRedman

Jul 10, 2009
Gilbert
So frustrating in the spring game seeing our QBs step in the pocket and look to take off only to have the play blown dead. I really thought either one could have racked up 50+ rushing yards if only it had been a real game. That being said, I think Jantz will get the nod.

Help Support Us

Become a patron