Who are you thinking of voting for in 2008?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
An excerpt from a speech John McCain gave to the Economic Club of New York ....
A tsunami of entitlement spending is threatening our economy, while providing no real security to retirees. We have made promises that we cannot keep. Under moderately optimistic scenarios Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid will in the decades to come grow as large as the entire government is today. Someday the government will be forced to make drastic cuts in these programs, or crippling increases in taxes on workers – or both. The longer we wait to make the hard choices necessary to repair these programs, the harder the problem becomes. My children and their children will not receive the benefits we will enjoy. That is an inescapable fact, and any politician who tells you otherwise, Democrat or Republican, is lying....​

By my reckoning, any candidate who is not willing to put some version of this paragraph into his or her speeches doesn't pass the test of intellectual seriousness.​

This is exactly why I am supporting McCain. He may be as nutty as Ross Perot, but at least he is willing to talk about real issues.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
While McCain's language goes further than does the language of any other candidate for President on this issue it's still not good enough. Any "real" government speech on the "future" of the American economy must begin and end with entitlement reform. With details. With details that make people sit up and take notice. With some sort of phased-in overhaul of the entire system.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
While McCain's language goes further than does the language of any other candidate for President on this issue it's still not good enough. Any "real" government speech on the "future" of the American economy must begin and end with entitlement reform. With details. With details that make people sit up and take notice. With some sort of phased-in overhaul of the entire system.

See the problem is, politicians are only in it for themselves, I see very few of them that are trying to do what it right for the country. And cutting the big 3 are not going to get you a lote of votes...So it is political suicide, but we need a few martyrs for the cause.

MrApathy

Aug 7, 2006
Ron Paul. A Traditional Libertarian Republican. long voting record to back it up. no other candidate supports and obeys the constitution than him.
when you dont support the cosntitution you end up with a corrupt basterdized form a of government.

now we have 2 corrupt parties of people that are not liberal nor conservative. people that have corrupted those words twisted them to something else that resembles more of a Authoritarian or Fascist.
Power has corrupted them and they want more. sooner or later some say we already have ended up in Dictatorship.

Fred Thompson was Council on Foreign Relations. he has also been a lobbyist.

most of the candidates are corrupt empire puppets supported by bankers and corporations. Rockefeller is a key figure. Haliburton is among them.
hey what ever happen to Enron.

nation of Fools. myself being fooled as well. propaganda works.
tv,newspapers and radio its all pretty much syndicated nationally and owned by a handfull mega corporations.

rich get richer while poor get poorer. inflation is a *****. legislated wage increases are bad it drives up inflation. Federal Government pumping out Billions a week doesnt help either more money in the economy drives up inflation.

some are now speculating that the global economy could burst. much like the original Depression. the US dollar is in the toilet. its been devalued.
only thing keeping it up. Iraq and Afganistan stranglehold to china and other nations.

only Candidate that warns about it is Ron Paul. the rest are tools to profit off it.

Ron Paul is founding father material.

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Democrate would do a lot better if they could come up with good plans and then go through with them.

Republicans swould be better off if they could actually control what they try to control.

Democrats argue form their heart especially rhe pooor masses looking for a cause;

Republicans try to form common sense legislation especially for small businessx.

Is there ever going to be a better in between choice? The tweener party?

Who was your politicial favorite of all time? Reagan? Clinton? Bush 1 or 2? Truman? Eisenhower? Roosevelt? Carter? Nixon? Ross Chicken Man Perot? Gore? Spiro?

jimmycy

Apr 19, 2006
Bush is the reason my mom makes less money than she used to as a teacher and that my fiance is havin such a hard time finding a job in education. I don't mind some of his other issues, but I cannot handle another four years of the education system we have. We put all stock into standardized testing rather than the students.
George Bush is not the reason your mom is making less as a teacher. That is pure unadultrated ingnorance. Educate yourself if you are going to spout off opinions in public

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
You cannot vote for a candidate based on his party affiliation or the words coming out of his mouth....read on.

LOOK OVER THE DESCRIPTIONS OF THE FOLLOWING TWO HOUSES AND SEE IF YOU CAN TELL WHICH BELONGS TO AN ENVIRONMENTALIST.

HOUSE # 1:
A 20-room mansion (not including 8 bathrooms) heated by natural gas.
Add on a pool (and a pool house) and a separate guest house all heated by gas. In ONE MONTH ALONE this mansion consumes more energy than the average American household in an ENTIRE YEAR. The average bill for electricity and natural gas runs over $2,400.00 per month. In natural gas alone (which last time we checked was a fossil fuel), this property consumes more than 20 times the national average for an American home. This house is not in a northern or Midwestern "snow belt," either. It's in the South.

HOUSE # 2:
Designed by an architecture professor at a leading national university, this house incorporates every "green" feature current home construction can provide. The house contains only 4,000 square feet (4 bedrooms) and is nestled on arid high prairie in the American southwest. A central closet in the house holds geothermal heat pumps drawing ground water through pipes sunk 300 feet into the ground. The water (usually 67 degrees F.) heats the house in winter and cools it in summer. The system uses no fossil fuels such as oil or natural gas, and it consumes 25% of the electricity required for a conventional heating/cooling system. Rainwater from the roof is collected and funneled into a 25,000 gallon underground cistern. Wastewater from showers, sinks and toilets goes into underground purifying tanks and then into the cistern. The collected water then irrigates the land surrounding the house. Flowers and shrubs native to the area blend the property into the surrounding rural landscape.

HOUSE # 1 (20 room energy guzzling mansion) is outside of Nashville, Tennessee. It is the abode of that renowned environmentalist (and filmmaker) Al Gore.

HOUSE # 2 (model eco-friendly house) is on a ranch near Crawford,
Texas. Also known as "the Texas White House," it is the private residence of the President of the United States, George W. Bush.
So whose house is gentler on the environment? Yet another story you WON'T hear on CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC, MSNBC or read about in the New York Times or the Washington Post. Indeed, for Mr. Gore, it's truly "an inconvenient truth."

~~We need to figure out which candidate is the least full of crap and elect HIM.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
~~We need to figure out which candidate is the least full of crap and elect HIM.

I didn't know that Al Gore was a candidate for President; at a minimum Gore has not announced that he is running. Ditto for President Bush being a declared 2008 Presidential candidate.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
You cannot vote for a candidate based on his party affiliation or the words coming out of his mouth....read on.

LOOK OVER THE DESCRIPTIONS OF THE FOLLOWING TWO HOUSES AND SEE IF YOU CAN TELL WHICH BELONGS TO AN ENVIRONMENTALIST.

HOUSE # 1:
A 20-room mansion (not including 8 bathrooms) heated by natural gas.
Add on a pool (and a pool house) and a separate guest house all heated by gas. In ONE MONTH ALONE this mansion consumes more energy than the average American household in an ENTIRE YEAR. The average bill for electricity and natural gas runs over $2,400.00 per month. In natural gas alone (which last time we checked was a fossil fuel), this property consumes more than 20 times the national average for an American home. This house is not in a northern or Midwestern "snow belt," either. It's in the South.

HOUSE # 2:
Designed by an architecture professor at a leading national university, this house incorporates every "green" feature current home construction can provide. The house contains only 4,000 square feet (4 bedrooms) and is nestled on arid high prairie in the American southwest. A central closet in the house holds geothermal heat pumps drawing ground water through pipes sunk 300 feet into the ground. The water (usually 67 degrees F.) heats the house in winter and cools it in summer. The system uses no fossil fuels such as oil or natural gas, and it consumes 25% of the electricity required for a conventional heating/cooling system. Rainwater from the roof is collected and funneled into a 25,000 gallon underground cistern. Wastewater from showers, sinks and toilets goes into underground purifying tanks and then into the cistern. The collected water then irrigates the land surrounding the house. Flowers and shrubs native to the area blend the property into the surrounding rural landscape.

HOUSE # 1 (20 room energy guzzling mansion) is outside of Nashville, Tennessee. It is the abode of that renowned environmentalist (and filmmaker) Al Gore.

HOUSE # 2 (model eco-friendly house) is on a ranch near Crawford,
Texas. Also known as "the Texas White House," it is the private residence of the President of the United States, George W. Bush.
So whose house is gentler on the environment? Yet another story you WON'T hear on CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC, MSNBC or read about in the New York Times or the Washington Post. Indeed, for Mr. Gore, it's truly "an inconvenient truth."

And yet Al Gore is SO Carbon Neutral...:baffled5wh:

ajjohnson

Sep 25, 2006
Well, as I care about things other than guns, war, money, and myself, I'm obviously going to vote for a Democrat. When you've got Republicans like John McCain saying that he won't rest until he kills Osama bin Laden (and then SMILING a rather wicked smile about it)...that's just barbaric.

:laugh8kb: :laugh8kb: :laugh8kb: :laugh8kb: :laugh8kb:

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
Well, as I care about things other than guns, war, money, and myself, I'm obviously going to vote for a Democrat. When you've got Republicans like John McCain saying that he won't rest until he kills Osama bin Laden (and then SMILING a rather wicked smile about it)...that's just barbaric.

Since you don't care about the above items, you apparently aren't concerned with the condition of the economy or what happens in the world.

And how is McCain's statement barbaric? It sounds like McCain is seeking justice.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
Most American's only received a rebate of $300.

Whether its $300 or $600, the tax cuts were not a one time deal. Revenues have actually exceeded the amounts forecast assuming the tax cuts were not approved. Something therefore stimulated the economy.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
She did make quite a bit on that, but to be fair, that was the only case she worked on for about 5 years. They needed a warehouse to store the documents. That doesn't all go to one person either. There is also 5 years of work there from a rather large support staff.

Almost $80 million in fees? You could BUILD a warehouse and still be filthy rich. I really hope you aren't standing up for someone who took $80 million of money from the people she was trying to "help". 5 years or not, there aren't many lawyers making $16 million per year.

And if $16 million can't pay a support staff, then there is something very wrong with that.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
In answer to another post, the problem with the strategy of this particular Viet....I mean Iraq is that there was no forethought to what was going to happen when we created the vacuum of power by getting rid of Sadaam.

I don't buy the Vietnam comparison either. I think that the comparison comes from the fact that both wars were eagerly jumped into by overzealous presidents, and eventually they both bogged down, and will end up stalemates. I don't buy it.

You don't buy the Vietnam comparisons yet you basically compare the 2 in your first post. Your recent posts have some good information in them but you sound exactly like a politician by talking out of both sides of your mouth.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Biden's plan for Iraq is basically political. I'm not sure you can have a political solution that works with people who want us dead.

The bushies big problem with the terrorists and Iraq was not going in hard, leveling communities, mosques etc and just pounding the snot out of everything. Then repeat and rinse as many times as necessary.

We have forgotten how to fight wars.

Al Queda wants us dead, not the Iraqis. There is some overlap, but most of the fighting is sectarian violence and not Al Queda.

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
rudy-yankees.jpg

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron